The Lycan and Hairball

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are making a prequel.

I said the same thing, "Weren't there tons of flashbacks in the last one . . . Haven't we already in a sense SEEN the prequel?"

But my understanding is that it's like Kwiat says "- without Selene or Michael - about how the whole Vampire/Lycan feud began"

I've heard that Michael Sheen has already signed on.

Michael Sheen rocks.

If they get Bill Nighy signed on I just may pay to see it.

Personally, I can't get on board the reference to The Mummy, above.

For me it's more of a film that I keep on hating, no, despising.

And the only way I talk about it is in a loathsome fashion.

I don't question people who like it, that's absurd.

All I know is I hate it. I have Steven Sommers to thank for that.

It's OK that it's a sad and silly movie in my opinion, what is not OK is that I read an article before the movie came out where Sommers was quoted as saying "This film is my Lawrence Of Arabia". That statement coupled with a few photos from the article that actually looked like serious vintage shots (or patterned after) from the original gave me false hope that it would be a remake in the vein of Coppola's Dracula. I wasn't expecting a third rate Indiana Jones film with a dose of the three stooges. Less than 5 minutes in I knew I made a grievous error in judgement when Seti's black warrior slaves enter the chamber to capture Imhotep and they have the body language of present day gang bangers. It went downhill from there. It's actually my fault in combination with Sommers' statement. My expectations were too high, but only because I put stock in the statement "This film is my Lawrence Of Arabia."

Hard if not impossible to back up, but this wasn't even close.

Sorry, I get crazy when the subject comes up ;)

Goldsmith's score is tip top though.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I didn't hate the first Mummy but I hated the second one whole a lot. My girlfriend loves the first film though (she likes cheesy comedy) so I, in effect, like the first film as well.

The Lawrence of Arabia comment is almost offensive, really. Geez.

Honestly I was thinking in terms of the prop building and costume community more than Joe on the street. The geeks like me. I always see a lot more O'Connells than I do Selena's at conventions like DragonCon, and I see his holsters and guns from the first film on a lot of the prop boards I frequent. They are very popular.

I rarely see Selena's guns. I see Hellboy all over the place (The Samaritan is a favorite), and with the second film coming out. Sideshow, Mez-itz and the like will be hitting the shelves again I'm sure. The guns from the new film are already being discussed in the prop hobby.

So I was sort of absent mindedly referencing geeks like me, not the general moving gong public. :) Sorry I was not more specific there.

I've heard that Michael Sheen has already signed on.

Michael Sheen rocks.

If they get Bill Nighy signed on I just may pay to see it.

Is Len Wiseman going to direct this one you think? I'm just not a fan.

Bill Nighy though, the guys is brilliant. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Sheen's, but I hardly hate him either.

So who's going to end up drawing the comic anyway Tim?

I'm very excited to see it.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so its clear that Jane will no longer be the face of Cal Macdonald after Cellblock 666 wraps.

Because that arc won't be released until this Fall and will probably wrap by Christmas, does that mean that he may still be the face of Cal in the Hairball TPB cover if you end up doing it Street?

The Cellblock 666 TPB won't be out until 2009 and will still carry Jane's persona. Dissasociation shouldn't really occur (not effectively) until that TPB comes out next year.

Perhaps a Jane version of Hairball can slip through the cracks of this shift if it gets done before the Cellblock 666 TPB...

-TL

Ahh, Hairball . . .

What happened to Hairball.

What happened is that it ain't gonna happen.

At least not with RAW.

Steve assumed the rights were his to do with what he wanted.

However, that is not the case.

Darkhorse is claiming ownership here because the artwork was commissioned and paid for by them.

Thereby making our plans moot.

Lesson is, no matter how much you trust a certain situation it's always better to make sure before you go announcing things.

Tom's even out $ for the cash he paid Grant for the rework of the color ad in one of our books.

Bottom line? No Hairball from RAW.

Also, just to add some finality to this thread . . .

The development deal RAW had with Lionsgate has expired.

It has expired without a single project getting off the ground.

LGF passed on Dark Country, rights reverted to the writer (Tab Murphy) and then Tom went off and sold it to Sony (with Tab in tow ;)

The other properties, mainly The Lurkers, and In The Blood are up in the air.

The rights for those properties reverted to Niles and he is doing his best to strike another deal elsewhere.

There has been some interesting activity concerning Lurkers, but it's too early in the game to do anything but speculate.

Tom may not end up being a part of either of the Niles projects, that would be up to the new creative entities.

The current chapter is closed. We'll have to stand by and see what happens. I'll keep everyone here posted on developments.

Steve keeps me in the loop so I'll do the same for you.

- TB

Personally, I can't get on board the reference to The Mummy, above.

For me it's more of a film that I keep on hating, no, despising.

And the only way I talk about it is in a loathsome fashion.

I don't question people who like it, that's absurd.

All I know is I hate it. I have Steven Sommers to thank for that.

It's OK that it's a sad and silly movie in my opinion, what is not OK is that I read an article before the movie came out where Sommers was quoted as saying "This film is my Lawrence Of Arabia". That statement coupled with a few photos from the article that actually looked like serious vintage shots (or patterned after) from the original gave me false hope that it would be a remake in the vein of Coppola's Dracula. I wasn't expecting a third rate Indiana Jones film with a dose of the three stooges. Less than 5 minutes in I knew I made a grievous error in judgement when Seti's black warrior slaves enter the chamber to capture Imhotep and they have the body language of present day gang bangers. It went downhill from there. It's actually my fault in combination with Sommers' statement. My expectations were too high, but only because I put stock in the statement "This film is my Lawrence Of Arabia."

Hard if not impossible to back up, but this wasn't even close.

Sorry, I get crazy when the subject comes up ;)

Goldsmith's score is tip top though.

- TB

I really wish, Romero could have done that movie instead. But, I'll say this of Sommers, I am a unabashed fan of Deep Rising, I'm still waiting for the day he makes something as fun as that movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, I was kidding TL. The search for an artist was long and ongoing (Tom even mentioned they were close in the podcast) and I was just trying to bring some levity to it.

Can't all be gems I guess.

;)

Sorry.

• 3 months later...

I'm very looking forward to The Lycan! I love Werewolves, but unfortunately there aren't many really good Werewolves stories out there, compared to Vampire stuff for example. So I hope this one will be cool :)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just checked out this TJ interview from Dallas Comic Con 12 on Jan. 24th:

So, it looks like The Lycan will come out next year (it's gonna be a 6 issue mini-series). Yeah!

we're just now looking for an artist. here's a good place to tell me your favorites. we're looking for a Gianni style woodcut, classical style of art for this one. as always, it has to be a cut above the rest. someone really terrific. hopefully we'll find someone at SDCC this year! T

Cant beat John Severin , Tom. Or perhaps someone like Kevin Nowlan.

Cary Nord would rock it, also.

As far as wishful thinking, Mike Zeck.

So like, is my alltime favorite, comic artist available? Bernie Wrightson? A six issue raw story from him would be the shit for sure! I loved his work on The Others.

Mike Ploog?... (edit)or a plate of cabbage?

Juan Jose Ryp?

• 1 year later...
we're just now looking for an artist. here's a good place to tell me your favorites. we're looking for a Gianni style woodcut, classical style of art for this one. as always, it has to be a cut above the rest. someone really terrific. hopefully we'll find someone at SDCC this year! T

Just spotted this thread --

Looking for someone to do Gianni/Wrightson's Frankenstein-style comics art is a tall order and one that would likely burn the artist out if they tried to meet any reasonable deadline.

Might be better to snag someone working in the Creepy/EC horror style who used Duo-Shade board (I think some places still sell it -- I'm certain Tim knows what I'm talking about) or applies the Photoshop variation of it would certainly make a similar visual statement.

Other than that, I think a few guys over at ComicTwart might be worth more than a look. Looking forward to seeing this eventually.

~Richard

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How about Andy Kubert, Jae Lee or Liam Sharp?

I just listened to the AITH Podcast. So, you are now looking at Liam Sharp for The Lycan, Tom?

That's awesome! I hope you'll get him as the artist :)