On Target Review Of THE MIST

I'm adding a thread here and made this a topic because I want people to see this.

I fear it would have been buried in the official thread on Tom's section so I'm reposting it here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally a review that hits the nail squarely on the head. There have been many positive reviews, don't get me wrong . . .

But Phelim O'Neill from The Guardian.co.uk really "gets" what Darabont was aiming for. Mixed into the review are excellent and informative insights both about Darabont himself, and from Darabont commenting on his intentionally low budget masterpiece. And a nice little nod to Drew Struzan (the artist David Drayton is based on) at the end of this article ---------->The Human Race Is Insane - The Mist

Learn why Darabont turned his back on a budget twice the size and more, and maybe even gain a better understanding of the film through the mind of it's creator.

- TB

My favorite part of that second review is the talk-back, where people that cannot even spell the word "amateur", let alone be bothered to spell check themselves feel like they are qualified to judge the film publicly. I'm going to give these popcorn eaters a new name, "Surface Dwellers". That would be people that have no real clue as to what constitutes good acting or direction, and can't be bothered to read between the lines to the subtext. To say nothing of other subtleties dangling in front of their short attention span. Surface Dwellers see only the surface. Like a play in a football game where a running back fumbles, half the bar full of idiots stand up and scream "you fucking bum piece of shit wet fingered ASSHOLE!" When the part of the group that was actually paying attention witnessed how it really happened, which SHOCKINGLY enough, was not the RB's fault. Upon further review and instant replay, the obnoxious slobs sit back down and grumble, realizing their quick judgment. Unfortunately it's rare when one of the SD's sees the light and takes the time to recant publicly.

I find them to be reprehensible.

- TB

Well the comments continue to steadily fall in over at Empireonline and it looks now like 85% of them are positive.

My barometer feels a bit more justified.

Still, I don't consider everyone morons if they didn't like the film. But the stuff I was reading earlier was just very 12 year old.

People that can offer a valid and fair criticism for why they didn't embrace the film are super-cool in my book.

It's the knuckle-nuts (and you know the type I speak of), yes, the surface dwellers that I find hard to abide.

Best of luck to The Mist as it premieres in the UK.

- TB

My favorite part of that second review is the talk-back, where people that cannot even spell the word "amateur", let alone be bothered to spell check themselves feel like they are qualified to judge the film publicly. I'm going to give these popcorn eaters a new name, "Surface Dwellers". That would be people that have no real clue as to what constitutes good acting or direction, and can't be bothered to read between the lines to the subtext. To say nothing of other subtleties dangling in front of their short attention span. Surface Dwellers see only the surface. Like a play in a football game where a running back fumbles, half the bar full of idiots stand up and scream "you fucking bum piece of shit wet fingered ASSHOLE!" When the part of the group that was actually paying attention witnessed how it really happened, which SHOCKINGLY enough, was not the RB's fault. Upon further review and instant replay, the obnoxious slobs sit back down and grumble, realizing their quick judgment. Unfortunately it's rare when one of the SD's sees the light and takes the time to recant publicly.

I find them to be reprehensible.

- TB

AMEN to that, Tim. "Surface dwellers" are the bane of the internet. I doubt that most of these people have opposable thumbs, let alone two brain cells firing in sequence. Those are the kinds of people that make me want to throw my f*ckin' laptop through a wall. If I could reach through my computer and strangle some of these people, I would happily do it.

Someone should come up with an IQ test that everyone is required to pass before being allowed on the internet, like a drivers' test. And there should be a button on every computer that allows you to fry anyone who makes asinine statements or who was standing behind the door when God was handing out brains. As soon as you read it, just push a button and zap their ass. Call it natural selection. Or weeding out the culls. ;)

Just a thought.

And thanks for sharing that article. It was great and very appropriate. Finally, someone who understands what the movie is about (a critic, I mean).

Mediumfan

Archived