The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I saw this trailer recently at the theater.

The production values look amazing. Love those checkered pants Cate is wearing.

And Jesus, could Cate be in everything? I mean A list everything?

There is hardly a bad film on her resume.

Film looks way cool. Long wait though.

- TB

I was a fan of the short story which is quite a good read if you guys ever get the chance. It's a very sad but sweet story.

I, for one, am very happy this finally got off the ground. I know there are alot of Brad Pitt haters on this board but I like him in alot of films. Fincher is a genius, everyone knows that, and Cate, I love her, she is an amazing actress. I mean, have you seen I'm Not There? She was my favorite Bob Dylan right next to Heath Ledger, who was amazing with the short screen time he was stuck with. Both were breathtaking performances.

JO

Yeah I saw this trailer when I was seeing Indiana Jones and Incredible Hulk. This is gonna be one of the coolest and weirdest movies. Been a while since I felt that way about a movie. The film looks like it's going to get some Academy award nominations. Great cast too. Aside from Pitt and Blanchett, you also have Tilda Swinton, Julia Ormand, and Elias Koteas. I like this line up. This is a winner here guys.

-Raff

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Official Benjamin Button Posters Unleashed

Paramount has finally released the official one-sheets for David Fincher’s The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Last week we posted some iPhone photos of the posters on display at a multiplex, so I thought it was be only fair to follow-up with the official digital files, now that they’re available.

curiouscaseposter2.jpg

curiouscaseposter1.jpg

By: Peter Sciretta

More reviews for David Fincher’s The Curious Case of Benjamin Button have begun to hit the interwebs., which means its time for another Early Buzz roundup:

Continue reading:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/11/24/more-e...enjamin-button/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apologies for knocking down your thread GP -

Had to merge since we already had a thread topic on this.

Anyone else seen the film yet?

I haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

Looking forward to hearing what O'Brian has to say about this.

- TB

Thanks for the thread management Tim, I was a bit surprised when I didn't see one already (I need to look harder next time). :P

I have nothing but good things to say about the film. The theme is novel and intriguing. In dealing with the premise, the film doesn't try to be ridiculously fanciful or overbearingly scientific.

The supporting characters (of which there were many) are smoothly introduced and sprinkled throughout the film with care.

The digital effects were well-managed and meshed well with the rest of the film. At no time did I feel like,"Oh, this guy's probably acting against green-screen and is over-compensating..." I have to admit, I was anticipating Pitt "blossoming" into the chick-magnet we know him as today but some of his best moments in the film were as a codgerly old (young) man.

There were a lot of quiet, thoughtful moments in the film that I found pleasantly reassuring. There were a few big moments but I don't feel it was attempting to be Forest Gump or anything like that. I found myself thinking about life (and how we as humans live our lives) but at no time did the film even remotely come across as preachy or message-oriented (imo). It left you to interpret that on your own.

Anyway, it was a solid flick overall and I think it'll win an Oscar either for best effects, best adaptation, best supporting role (Tilda Swinton, whom I adore), or maybe best actress (Cate Blanchette). Although I really enjoyed Pitt in this role, I wouldn't give him Best Actor primarily because he's someone many of the other actors "play off" of. But then I'm not on the committee either. lol

Apologies for knocking down your thread GP -

Had to merge since we already had a thread topic on this.

Anyone else seen the film yet?

I haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

Looking forward to hearing what O'Brian has to say about this.

- TB

Ah Tim, I've been M.I.A. from the boards for awhile now, trying to get film school started but I am scheduled to see this film Jan. 4th, and you can bet your ass I'll have a full write up on this puppy. I've been waiting to see this film even before it was being made, back when I read the short story when I was a wee lad. Until the 4th I just have to sit and stew, sucks, I want to see this now!

All in good time.

JO

Love Fincher. Love Pitt. Love Blanchett. Love Swinton. There's great stuff in this flick, but I left disappointed.

It's WAY too long. At something more like 2 hours and change this movie would really flow and sweep you up. It's very drawn out and does not flow. Certain sections flow, but the overall pacing is really a problem.

The effects are seamless and it's absolutely incredible work. The aging process that Pitt and Blanchett go through is astonishing and their performances are wonderful.

Loved Benjamin as the old man/kid. Loved the Jared Harris section. Loved the Tilda Swinton section.

There's some things that characters did that I didn't buy and that bothered me.

It's definitely worth seeing and I support the movie, but it wouldn't make my top 10 list and it's not Best Picture material.