Bad Planet #6 ON SALE NOW!

So . . . how about a peak of what's inside issue 6?

:)

Any chance of that happening?

Naturally . . .

Page 2 -

BP6pg2.jpg

Page 10 -

BP6pg10.jpg

Page 11 -

BP6pg11.jpg

Also note, this issue is expanded to 24 pages.

We just couldn't fit it all in to the standard 22 ;)

This issue's climax will have you yearning for the next chapter in the saga.

More on that soon.

Issue #6 will also feature pin-ups by GRANT GOLEASH and DAVE KENDALL!

Don't you dare miss it.

- TB

PS - Also, someone recently asked what were were going to do about Dave Kendall's painted pages for the black and white edition . . .

We'll be going halftone (grayscale) with it unless plans change.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Definitely looking forward to seeing the first arc getting wrapped up. Seems kind of poignant to see the Dave Stevens art, too... with the deaths of Mike Weiringo, Mike Turner, Carlos Meglia and Mr. Stevens (and God knows who else) in the last year, I find myself feeling particularly sentimental about their work.

I can say with certainty that the collected edition will do fairly well in bookstores, the material has such a broad appeal. The story is very accessible and entertaining — especially when it can be appreciated as a collected volume. I would LOVE to see that Basil Gogos art on the collected version- I think it's very eye-catching and has the right look for that broader market (just a thought)... I'm sure it will be in there somewhere. ;)

Also, I've just recently picked up the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I noticed Ray Zone developed the 3-D section (including glasses). I realize that it's very easy for me to say this as an outside guy with no budgetary considerations- but I'd love to see the same treatment for the B.P. collection... with all due respect guys, it's asking a bit much for the purchaser to come up with their own 3-D specs.

Anyway, here's to the completion of the first arc!! *raises a glass of good imported beer*

with all due respect guys, it's asking a bit much for the purchaser to come up with their own 3-D specs.

GP - If you picked up a copy of Bad Planet #3 in Superterrorvision 3D! and did not get your glasses then you got JIPPED by either Diamond or your retailer.

The glasses were supposed to be tipped into the book (meaning in this case, stapled in) but somebody fucked up at the printer and they were merely loosely dropped into the book. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to about issue #3 had no problem getting their glasses, but I know some people got fuckered there, either the glasses slipped out somewhere along the line or the glasses were purloined by some nameless asshole. Not sure if Tom has any left. This year at SD con someone took all of the glasses we had with us. I guess the sign that read "3D Glasses are not free" was too much for those fucking vultures to understand. Got some other stuff swiped too.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is what you were saying but in case that's what you meant then hopefully you will hold us blameless on that count.

Tom went to considerable personal expense to include the glasses, and I'm putting it lightly when I say he was more than a bit chuffed that the glasses were not stapled in.

Also - Because you've been so infinitely PATIENT with me about getting you that art I owe you, I'm happy to dig up a pair of BP 3D glasses for you from my stash and send them along with the artwork. Least I can do ;)

That said, I do not believe we have plans to include a 3D section in the trade edition, just too expensive, plus . . . We already did it!

For people that missed it, time to go track down that rare and elusive issue. The full color trade will run all the art without 3D treatment, that way the complete story can be told with nothing to interrupt the flow.

As mentioned elsewhere, we will also be putting out an oversized, limited black and white edition. The B+W edition will feature no artwork on the cover, no logo either, just the Spider icon.

The full color softbound trade will feature the Gogos cover. Not sure if there will be a hard cover yet.

But before I go too far with all this, I forgot to mention . . . Bad Planet #6 is on shelves NOW!

Go complete your collection while they last!

Thanks to all Bad Planet supporters who have followed the title from it's retroactive beginning. Hopefully the wait has been worth it.

Until the next chapter!

- TB

Sounds spot on Tim. I guess the glasses were, in fact, purloined (luv that word) from my local retailers. Seems like a damn shame considering how much the 3-D process costs.

Without knowing the final figures, I can say that a 3-D book (sans glasses) is definitely an impediment to sales. Being in print advertising sales, I can tell you I get particularly irate when the printer falls short on their end when the customer/client expects certain production values or quality. My customers always ask for a discount in those instances (and they're right to do so).

But no need to send me a set o' specs (I'll just use my LoEG pair, if necessary :-)

Dave's cover is simply awesome! Beautiful score!

It just occurred to me that we never unveiled the colored version of Dave's cover so here it is -

Color by Grant Goleash from notes by Dave and Tom

BP6Stevenscovorcolor22fTD2F-1.jpg

Colors in this jpeg compression are a little dull. The digital file and printed versions are MUCH better.

LOVE that black and white though.

- TB

This is definitely my favorite "guest" cover thus far... although the logo looks a bit too saturated. Definitely looking forward to the black and white version, though—the spider icon on cover should make for a very powerful visual. It's amazing to see how all the material is tying together. ;)

I fought with that title treatment and never did get it to my satisfaction before it had to go to the printer.

Dave didn't want the standard BP monster lettering. He thought it would distract from his work.

One of the things that made Dave so GREAT was his attention to the details, and trade dress was no exception.

I passed this version of the logo by Dave before he left our world and he was happy with it.

I think in healthier times he would have challenged me to perfect it.

But I do agree with you GP. . . I'm not sure it's as over-saturated as it is just odd because it's altered from any of the rest.

I basically F'ed with the opacity of the graphics inside the letters to tone down the effect until Dave was happy with it.

I think it looks a bit better in print than it does here.

xo - TB

That's kewl, T.B.,

I don't want to come across like I'm nit-picking on the production or anything like that... Grant's doing great work and the covers have been unique artifacts unto themselves. Having seen the black and white D.S. art, I suspect you guys wanted to show off the charm and subtlety of Stevens' brushwork...Hopefully, that'll all be reflected in the final product (haven't picked up my copy yet). Without sounding too much like a brown-nose; I really enjoyed your Convict bust cover the most—that seemed like film poster quality work.

• 2 weeks later...
Color me a novice :P but I thought the whole thing looked great. The book was beautifully drawn and the story was excellently written. A perfect way to wrap up the series (?) and a fantastic ending.

Excellent work, everyone! :D

Ditto! I want Bad Planet issue #7... :D

Jen

It's funny, I read something recently which attempts to suggest that Bad Planet was originally supposed to be a 12 issue series but that we trimmed it to 6 because the book had too many problems. If any of you read that, it's BS. BP was originally conceived as a 12 issue story, that much is true. But before we ever put the first book out we decided to do it in two six-issue mini series'. We just wrapped the first one. We learned a lot. The second six-issue series will actually come out on time ;) Or very near on time.

But before we get that far we plan on releasing the 1st series trade collections. Stay tuned for more news on that front.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

LOVE Grant's pinup in this issue. Just love it, rocked my fuckin' socks off is what it did.

If I have one complaint about this issue, I think it would be that I'd of like to have seen more combat between the convict and the captors who nearly crashed a ship into him. Jim does such dynamic action, I'd of enjoyed another page of them fighting. That just seemed really quick.

I DO work in B&W, y'know. :-)

72TheStalkingTerror.jpg

It's funny, I read something recently which attempts to suggest that Bad Planet was originally supposed to be a 12 issue series but that we trimmed it to 6 because the book had too many problems. If any of you read that, it's BS. BP was originally conceived as a 12 issue story, that much is true. But before we ever put the first book out we decided to do it in two six-issue mini series'. We just wrapped the first one. We learned a lot. The second six-issue series will actually come out on time ;) Or very near on time.

But before we get that far we plan on releasing the 1st series trade collections. Stay tuned for more news on that front.

- TB

Umm, Joe?

That is scrumptious.

And remember, you gave me a black and white Punisher page a few years back in that same style. DC Vince gets taken out by Castle!

Priceless.

I've always LOVED your black and white tonal work. Fucking Brill.

- TB