THOR

relias33

Branagh is the front runner for directing but he's still in negotiations according to Super Hero Hype.

I don't mind this choice. I trust him. Only thing I'm concerned about is what he's gonna do about Thor himself? I don't think it would be wise to do what he did for Frankenstein and cast a guy whos 5'9 like De Niro to play a guy who borderlines 7 feet just he's a good actor. NASH BABY NASH! That's the way to go.

-Raffi

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Variety:

Kenneth Branagh is negotiating to direct "Thor," the next Marvel Comics property that will be turned into a live-action film by Marvel Studios. Pic will be released in 2010.

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige's choice of Branagh is surprising, as Branagh hasn't really directed an action-heavy film since his debut on "Henry V," a bloody telling of the British king's conquest of France.

Branagh in talks to direct 'Thor'

The guys done of lot Shakespeare's stuff, so I gotta wonder how much of an influence that's going to be if he does Thor. I mean the last two Marvel films that had Shakespearian undertones to them (Hulk and The Punisher), you know weren't received too well.

The guys done of lot Shakespeare's stuff, so I gotta wonder how much of an influence that's going to be if he does Thor. I mean the last two Marvel films that had Shakespearian undertones to them (Hulk and The Punisher), you know weren't received to well.

Didn't see the Hulk, but what the hell was Shakespearean about The Punisher...and I know my Shakespeare...

Fred

Didn't see the Hulk, but what the hell was Shakespearean about The Punisher...and I know my Shakespeare...

Fred

There's an Othello influence to it, there's that sort Shakespearean back stabbing going on and it's a tragedy.

But the 2004 film had a lot of other stuff going on too though, it was a throw back to Leone, Peckinpah, Siegel films, a spaghetti western/action film/melodrama/Shakespearean tragedy. Hulk was a psychodrama/tragedy/action film, those films went a little higher concept than what people expected. But who knows what people will expect from Thor.

There's an Othello influence to it, there's that sort Shakespearean back stabbing going on and it's a tragedy.

But the 2004 film had a lot of other stuff going on too though, it was a throw back to Leone, Peckinpah, Siegel films, a spaghetti western/action film/melodrama/Shakespearean tragedy. Hulk was a psychodrama/tragedy/action film, those films went a little higher concept than what people expected. But who knows what people will expect from Thor.

Umm...Othello was the HERO of Othello. The only Othello character in The Punisher is Saint...and you WANT to see him get his. The HERO lives. Very UN-Shakespearean. I can see the comparison in the stories, but to call it Shakespearean is a stretch. If you mean, high drama then I would agree to an extent.

Fred

Just cause a backstabbing appears in a film it doesn't mean it's Shakespearean.... if my friend backstabs me for whatever reason does it make me part of a Shakespeare story? I just call it a backstabbing.... maybe it's just me ;)

Umm...Othello was the HERO of Othello. The only Othello character in The Punisher is Saint...and you WANT to see him get his. The HERO lives. Very UN-Shakespearean. I can see the comparison in the stories, but to call it Shakespearean is a stretch. If you mean, high drama then I would agree to an extent.

Fred

Well it's kinda of the reverse Othello actually. I'm not saying it's full on inspired by it, just that it's there. I did say there was an influence to it, and Othello being written by Shakespeare, etc...

Well it's kinda of the reverse Othello actually. I'm not saying it's full on inspired by it, just that it's there. I did say there was an influence to it, and Othello being written by Shakespeare, etc...

Somehow I doubt the author was thinking anywhere close to Shakespeare...more like Peckipah...

Actually he kinda was.

Do you think there is a link between a film like this and Elizabethan tragedies?

Well, the plotline doesn't come from anything other than the obvious one, and that's Othello. There might be one, I don't know if there's a triangle like this where an instigator - the irony, of course, was that while I was inspired by Othello, that basic plotline, in Othello the bad guy Iago is the instigator of it, and I made the protagonist in The Punisher the instigator of the jealousy which leads to murder.

HOLY SHIT!!!

Watch this September interview with Kevin Nash, and notice the shirt he's wearing...

Please God, let me have this.

-TL

You and me both big man!

Fred - Vincent D'onafrio is the gentlemen who played Thor in Adventures of Babysitting. He's now Detective Robert Goren on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. He's gained a few pounds and aged a bit since his "Thor" days.

Then.....

Adventures_in_Babysitting_17.sized.jpg

And Now.....

breakup05220641.jpg

I don't think he would work anymore ;)

You're right, Vincent D'Onofrio wouldn't work anymore. That was 21 years ago. But, Lord have mercy! He was HAWT as Thor.

I'm touting Kevin McKidd for Thor. He's 35, just the right age. He's 6'1'' and has the body for it, which you can see pretty well in HBO's Rome. He's also in that really terrible series, Grey's Anatomy, this season and he's the only reason to watch that show. Not only does he have the body for it, he can actually ACT. What a concept! An ACTOR playing Thor!

Nomad

Seeing as how they are most likely going with the traditional version, an actor is going to be needed to play both Thor and Donald Blake. If McKidd bulks up he could work.

The Ultimate version would be better though, that version has the whole is he a god or just a nut job with a big fucking hammer.

Well I would be down with McKidd only if he was Donald Blake and I still want Nash as Thor. I'm selfish bitches! ;)

Guest FADoss

kevinmckidd.jpg

He wouldn't be horrible.

But, when I did my google search, and at the risk of looking like a bigot, this is one of the first photos that came up.

kevinbed.jpg

Made me giggle a bit thinking of Thor. I think that's Ant Man.

Fred

I honestly won't be able to watch this film if they pick some pretty boy European that looks like he walked off the set of TROY.

I will skip the film and I'll only watch The Avengers if Norton comes back.

I don't want supermodel Thor.

I want GOD OF WAR Thor.

-TL

Guest FADoss
I honestly won't be able to watch this film if they pick some pretty boy European that looks like he walked off the set of TROY.

I will skip the film and I'll only watch The Avengers if Norton comes back.

I don't want supermodel Thor.

I want GOD OF WAR Thor.

-TL

God of Thunder...

War would be ARES.

Fred

You're right, Vincent D'Onofrio wouldn't work anymore. That was 21 years ago. But, Lord have mercy! He was HAWT as Thor.

I'm touting Kevin McKidd for Thor. He's 35, just the right age. He's 6'1'' and has the body for it, which you can see pretty well in HBO's Rome. He's also in that really terrible series, Grey's Anatomy, this season and he's the only reason to watch that show. Not only does he have the body for it, he can actually ACT. What a concept! An ACTOR playing Thor!

Nomad

Oh Nomad, you are so funny about your ROME boys! And with good reason - that show was incredible AND historically accurate. But you're neglecting Purefoy. He was the other hottie of that show and he deserves a good turn. Maybe he's not the golden god of Thor but he'd be a great Loki. (plus he's TJ's doppleganger)

Archived