I SAW IRON MAN TONIGHT!!!

origin1950

Went to the press screening tonight and I must say, this was a fantastic film in every way. I'm very satisfied with Marvel's first Independent film project.

I give you my in-depth spoiler-free analysis of IRON MAN:

The film is very well paced and keeps you pumped every single minute. There is action from beginning to end. Jon Favreau has done it.

Robert Downey Jr. is AMAZINGLY likable. You'll start diggin him within the first 5 minutes. Jeff Bridges is playing a color that suits him very well, as both an enemy of Stark's and a friend. Terrence Howard in his small role is everything he needs to be - a U.S. Air Force Lieutenant Colonel who's best friend makes weapons for the government. Gwyneth Paltrow like Howard, is brief but good. The show stealer is the film's smallest actor Shaun Taub (Executive Decision, The Kite Runner) as the man who opens Tony Stark's eyes.

The action sequences were great and there isn't too much for you to swallow. The best comes when Iron Man's on his feet, even though the aerial combat is fantastic. The score wasn't out of this world, but it was good enough.

In the end the best thing about this film is one man's transformation: Not from man to superhero, but from snob to man. That's where Favreau delivered. This story revolves around Tony's redemption and reminds me of the fact that a man who has everything on the outside can have nothing on the inside.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE PEOPLE!!!

There is no excuse to miss one of Marvel's best films to date and that rivals both X-MEN and Spider Man.

-TL

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks TL,

I'm glad to hear that the rich spoiled snob to decent human being charm of the original comic was kept for the film. I'm there as soon as i can find the time.

I have read nothing but great reviews for the film and I am SO GLAD Jackson is not Nick Fury... :P

If JoBlo heard right, Fury will be in the credits... Or if it was filmed and not only internet rumors. The DVD.

Saw it a couple of hours ago. Very fun. Hopefully I'll be seeing it again tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Movie house was packed BUT I saw it! Great film and a new appreciation for Robert Downey Jr. Very pleased.

Yeah but wouldn't have been cool for Jackson to go up to Downey Jr. and say:

Ezekiel 25:17

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides

By the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will,

Shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness,

For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger

Those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

Oh well, maybe next time.

-Raf

I just got back from watching IRON MAN a second time and apparently Marvel pulled a little prank on press screenings in favor of the paying fans:

Samuel L. Jackson's after the credits cameo as Colonel Nicolas Fury is only available to mass audience releases of the film and not pre-screenings and press screenings.

This is a setup for THE AVENGERS movie that will continue to unfold with Robert Downey Jr.'s cameo in next month's The Incredible Hulk.

I think Jackson did a good job, but I just can't see him as Fury. This is gonna be a hard sell for me. Perhaps in his own film he'll win me over. Perhaps.

So it comes down to this - If Marvel can get Captain America off the ground by next Summer and THOR in 2010, we got ourselves an AVENGERS epic! There are already talks of IRON MAN II hitting theatres April 29, 2010 if this one can bring in enough money to warrant a sequel just about him and War Machine.

NATHAN FILLION - ROBERT DOWNEY JR. - EDWARD NORTON - SAMUEL L. JACKSON

---------------------------------------THE AVENGERS------------------------------------------

-TL

I just got back from a midnight show. I must say I was highly impressed with this movie. A shit load of action, good humor, and an all around good story.

Jackson's appearance as Fury at the end of the film was good enough for me.

Also, the new Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull trailer was aired before the film!!!!!!!!!! It was fucking bad ass. The thing that drove me nuts was that these stupid fuckin idiots all over the crowd were talking over the movie. I really could have killed them and felt fine with it. HOW CAN YOU FUCKIN TALK OVER THE NEW INDY TRAILER YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!

-Raf

Iron Man will make back their budget and surpass it in a few days:

Box Office Mojo

I just saw it...OMFG.

I wonder if Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch geeked out to the ending , cuz I know I did.

As for the overall of the movie, I've only got a few problems but I think the sequel will resolve it...Other than that, AWESOME AWESOME movie. Really solid for a first.

What problems did you have?

-TL

Ok, now just before I go on I want to make this clear that it's just little things here and there...but it didnt affect my enjoyment of the movie.

Around the begining of the film, or rather the flashback...around the end of it, the editing was kinda off but maybe its just me. Like how it skipped from the explosion to the operation around that time? It kinda puzzled me out for a moment, and then watching a lot of the hype

and the final product was making me wish there was a little more depth. I felt like I just saw the best moments of the film on the trailer

and the movie was just connecting the dots. And plotholes, boy there were a few, but as I said on my previous post, I'm sure the sequel will

answer to these so I'm not too worried about that.

I agree that the 2 Trailers gave away too many key moments in the film.

In regards to Favreau's choice to cut the terrorist attack that way - I really enjoyed it. He needed to show us the snob's final moments and then take us back to the snob in action before showing us the human behind that snob.

My favorite elements of the film took place in the desert. I hope they send Tony back there in the second film. The Iron Man vs. Man concept is the best in my opinion. He doesn't always have to fight a big monster or robot to be kickass.

-TL

What Favreau did with casting Bridges is very similar to what Nolan did when casting Liam Neeson to play Batman's trainer.

He got an experienced actor who would not feel compromised or threatened by the younger actor in the title role. Neeson was perfect because he had both the physical and vocal attributes required. His dialogue was actually better and more extensive than Bale's in the film. With Bridges, it was playing a traitor that could believably hide his true agenda. I think his reveal at the party was fantastic. Subtle and very effective. It was also a great contrast to his Iron Monger reveal - which was quick and explosive.

I know Favreau will continue casting great actors in the upcoming films. I really hope he directs THE AVENGERS.

-TL

What Favreau did with casting Bridges is very similar to what Nolan did when casting Liam Neeson to play Batman's trainer.

He got an experienced actor who would not feel compromised or threatened by the younger actor in the title role. Neeson was perfect because he had both the physical and vocal attributes required. His dialogue was actually better and more extensive than Bale's in the film. With Bridges, it was playing a traitor that could believably hide his true agenda. I think his reveal at the party was fantastic. Subtle and very effective. It was also a great contrast to his Iron Monger reveal - which was quick and explosive.

I know Favreau will continue casting great actors in the upcoming films. I really hope he directs THE AVENGERS.

-TL

Comparison or not to begins, I really had a gut feeling about Bridges' character as a villain but it didn't come off as being predictable either which I liked about it. It was like, 'slowly give the audience little clues here and there, but make it vital and then REVEAL and make it meaningful'. And my memory of this guy hasn't been much other than The Big Lebowski and K-Pax, so seeing him here surprised me a lot.

His last great role was in The Door in The Floor. He was also pretty good in Stick It.

I really liked Blown Away with Tommy Lee Jones and Arlington Road with Tim Robbins. The original King Kong was also good and that film he did with Schwarzenegger - Stay Hungry was some powerful early work (1976).

The Mirror Has Two Faces I saw on a plane three times. Not for me.

-TL