THE SPIRIT

Guest AdminGuyX

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new trailer looks a lot better, though SLJ is still an eye sore. This is the footage they should have shown.

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-spirit/26912/main

yeah, this one is much, much, much better. Glad they lost the, "she is my mother, she is my lover," creepy, incest dialog.

Glad they lost the, "she is my mother, she is my lover," creepy, incest dialog.

:D Forgot about that line. I'm willing to go out on a line and say Eisner never wrote that. That has Frank's fingerprints all over it.

Frank has been pretty vocal in the past about his feelings towards film adaptations of his books, hence the reason Sin City never hit the big screen until a few years ago, but I wonder what Eisner would think about Frank's adaptation of The Spirit? If I remember the quote right, Frank called his friendship with Eisner "the 30 year argument". I have a feeling this would be one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

From ComicBookResources.com:

Lionsgate has released this short featurette promoting the Christmas release of "The Spirit," written and directed by Frank Miller. It features new footage from the movie as well as interview clips with Miller explaining how he ended up directing the movie, how he was first introduced to the character, and what his ultimate goal with the movie is.

http://lionsgate.com/?section=film

Guest AdminGuyX

Been trying to put my finger on what bugs me about the shot of San Serif in the towel.

Finally got it.

She looks like Amy Winehouse.

ick.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39090

New review posted up on AICN and it includes SPOILERS (that section of the review is marked). It's not much of a review, ruth be told, but just the fact that the reviewer "cringed in his seat" I figured was worth noting.

• 5 weeks later...

SET's Got The Spirit and Silken Floss

An International Poster for The Spirit

Favouring a launch party instead of a premiere, the dark and exciting world of The Spirit was brought to London last night, in a disused and cavernous sorting office in the West End.

Samuel L Jackson was first to arrive, wearing his famed backwards Kangol and fitting with the evening's prevailing black, red and white theme. Speaking about the action in the film, he said: “It is more like cartoon action, or cartoon violence. We hit each other with big things and get up; we shoot each other with big guns and still get up. It’s ouch, but they’re alive, so it’s fun. We had gigantic props- six and seven feet wrenches. Were the polystyrene? No they were actually steel and we worked out for years so that we could pick them up and hit each other with them!”

Continue reading:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23824

Written by Steve ‘Frosty’ Weintraub

Lionsgate has just released three new TV spots for “The Spirit” and they’re below. All three have a lot of the same footage, but I figured you’d still like to see them all.

The only thing I’m sure about after watching these clips is… “The Spirit” is definitely not going to be for everyone. The more I see of the movie, the more I realize how cartoony it is. And for fans of comic book movies like “Iron Man” and “Dark Knight”, this live action cartoon might be a little too weird. I also wonder how mainstream audiences are going to react.

Since I haven’t seen the movie and I don’t know anyone that has (first press screening is Friday night), I still don’t know exactly how it turned out…but we’ll all hear very soon. Until then, enjoy the TV spots.

Continue reading: http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news...id/10091/tcid/1

• 2 weeks later...

That was a hard review to get through. Not because it was so negative (mark that as "understatement") but because the guy who wrote it comes across as a buffoonish fanboy who thinks he's articulate and funny. The power of the internet in action. BTW, was there actually a REVIEW in all that bullshit? It was like being cornered in convention hotel bar by an obnoxious fan. That said, I'm EAGERLY awaiting this movie. For all the wrong reasons! :-)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39450

Beware...this is the first review i have seen online.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yep. That's a pretty typical AICN style review. Harry will write about everything else he did that day before he gets to the review of the movie. It's set a standard of reader reviews who copy it, and I think they are trying to explain thier mindset upon seeing the film.

I didn't even bother reading the whole review. I started, saw that it was going to be one of "those" reviews, and passed it right up.

I don't really need anyone to tell me this movie is going to suck anyway. :)

He could have written that off of the trailer. There was more info on Battlefield; Earth than The Spirit.

Yep. That's a pretty typical AICN style review. Harry will write about everything else he did that day before he gets to the review of the movie. It's set a standard of reader reviews who copy it, and I think they are trying to explain thier mindset upon seeing the film.

I didn't even bother reading the whole review. I started, saw that it was going to be one of "those" reviews, and passed it right up.

I don't really need anyone to tell me this movie is going to suck anyway. :)

Spirit's Jackson Channels Wile E. Coyote

Samuel L. Jackson told SCI FI Wire that he couldn't wait to wrap his tentacles around the role of the Octopus in Frank Miller's upcoming big-screen adaptation of Will Eisner's comic series The Spirit.

The genre veteran's Octopus is the gun-toting, maniacal, seemingly indestructible nemesis of the story's masked hero, the Spirit (Gabriel Macht), a rookie cop who rises from the dead, determined to protect his beloved Central City and unaware of just how closely connected to the Octopus he really is.

SCI FI Wire recently sat down with Jackson in New York to discuss The Spirit. Following are edited excerpts of the exclusive interview. The Spirit opens on Christmas Day.

Continue reading:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=3&id=62873

Guest AdminGuyX

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39470

Another scathing review. A snippet:

well, i won't say anything about how each frame seems like a comics page brought to life - because it's not. The film is absolutely deprived of anything resembling life. every close-up on those wonderful actresses is ruined by cgi make-up, and every possible interest you might have in the characters is thoroughly stomped by the poorest directing ever.

OUCH.

Here is to hoping Miller returns to comics soon and blows us away on the printed page again.

OUCH.

Here is to hoping Miller returns to comics soon and blows us away on the printed page again.

Well, he does have his propaganda OGN Holy Terror! Batman coming out soon, where Batman single handily takes out al-Qaeda in Gotham City. Which I am looking forward to reading just for the sheer insanity of it.

OUCH.

Ya know, I'm no fan of what I have so far seen of The Spirit movie, but I think the gringo review was more boring than anything that miller can put on the screen...I'm thinking the gringo dude, from Paris? yeah, Paris should know a lot about The Spirit, has not a clue... I'm not sure at all that my ass will be in a seat at the theatre watching this movie...but I'm not basing it on a 13 year old who calls himself El Gringo and lives in Paris...please no offense meant to anybody living in Paris, I'd say the same thing if the guy was from Germany or China...

The Spirit looks interesting. For sure one of those movies thats either AWESOME or TERRIBLE with no in between. From the first trailer it looked pretty good. I will admit I have not read the comics/graphic novels but when I read it was rated PG13 I kinda lost hope. Usually these types of movies HAVE to be R. So I dont know.. I will check it out on Xmas day as I usually see a movie..but im not sure how much I will enjoy it.

The first movie reviews of Frank Miller’s adaptation of Will Eisner’s The Spirit have begun to hit the interwebs, and it doesn’t look good.

Variety: “Frank Miller’s solo writing-directing debut plunges into a watery grave early on and spends roughly the next 100 minutes gasping for air. Pushing well past the point of self-parody” … “There’s a lot going on here, but none of it sticks — not the shopworn plotting nor the arch, stilted dialogue. The actors often seem to be delivering their lines in ironic quote marks, suggesting a straight-faced sendup of noir and comicbook conventions that, whatever the intended effect, falls mostly flat.”

AICN: “I’ve seen something that has taken the top prize from “Battlefield Earth.” … “Okay, Mr. Miller. Let’s get it on.” … “Seriously, it’s not. You clearly don’t have any idea what you’re doing. Someone, ANYONE, over at Lionsgate should have known this. Fuck, it’s their JOB to know this. But they didn’t.” … “Folks, this movie is that bad. I heartily recommend it if you have a strong stomach and an even stronger sense of Bad-Movie-Love. Otherwise, steer clear.”

Unique Geek: “The Spirit starts off crazy when we expect serious, then tries to pull it back in, then goes for weird juvenile sight gags then tries to be tough, and we’re disoriented. Theres also a pathlogical fascination with a prop photocopy of Mendes’ rump. If you took a shot every time the camera cuts to it, you would be wasted by the third act, and maybe “wasted” is the right word to end with here. There’s a lot of work and opportunity that went by the wayside here, a lot of talented people and some great source material that never quite gels. The parts that look good, look good, but maybe next time, they’ll hire a fox to put it all together.”

Newsarama: “The Spirit does a precarious balancing act juxtaposing great moments and terrible ones, leaving audiences likely be split over which makes the greater impression.” … “The mosh of comedic banter and noir-ish drama worked well for the most part, but ultimately, those aforementioned moments of potential that flash and peek out now and again are too far and few between to save The Spirit from being a disappointment..”

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/18/early-...-than-expected/

Concerning Unique Geek's appraisal . . . “The Spirit starts off crazy when we expect serious."

. . . Um . . . Who in the fuck who ever saw the trailer for this ever expected serious?

We expected serious when this film was announced. We figured out that it fell well short of that upon seeing the trailer.

After seeing the initial reviews it only confirms what many of us fans of Will Eisner's The Spirit feared the most, that this movie is crud.

I know one thing. I cannot bring myself to go see this film. I haven't the slightest urge to see how bad it is.

Miller could have taken the idea of how Sin City was shot green screen and still made a film that had the look and feel of Will Eisner AND appeased the fans of SC at the same time. He could have played it smart like Rodriguez did and paid visual homage to his favorite comics material. What he's ended up doing is playing that Hollywood game he said he'd never play. It's ironic on a grand scale. You think I'm not being fair because I haven't seen this movie? I've seen all I need to see.

- TB