THE SPIRIT

Guest AdminGuyX

Guest AdminGuyX

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36456

I don't hate the teaser, but I don't like that it looks so much like Sin City either. I was hoping this would have a visual identity closer to Will Eisner's work, and less like Frank Miller's work.

The jumps and flips . . . look odd to me. It makes me think of Marv, and Dwight way too much.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Frank directing films anyway, but if he sticks to adapting his own work . . . I don't know.

I really want to love this movie though. I know that.

:)

Am I being too critical of this??

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was going to be based "A Dame to Kill For", adding in some stories? Did that change?

I loved the original and I really want to see this.

Guest FADoss

So THIS is the film that I read for...and blew the callback a bit because I was reading for FRANK FUCKING MILLER. I mean the guy is like 5 ft from me...trying to figure out if he wants to use me for his film and he's a legend. I don't normally get starstruck or nervous on reads etc, but Frank...the comics...the films...he's the man!

They also wanted me to be Macht's stand-in for the film, but at the time I couldn't even begin to ask for THREE MONTHS off work from the military to play stand-in. Would have been cool though.

I'm still out on this one...not enough content in the trailer to make the call.

Fred

The subtitle of this thread is obviously confusing some members.

It oughtta be changed to avoid confusion.

We do have a SIN CITY 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR thread in case anybody wants to discuss Robert Rodriguez's upcoming sequel.

-TL

My apologies TL; do you have the link to that particular thread?

Thanks.

Found some stuff:

the-spirit.jpg

spirit-screams.jpg

spirit-mendes.jpg

thespiritagc2.th.jpgthespiritbhz2.th.jpgthespiritcwn0.th.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the Eisner inspired, title incorporated into the overall design poster.

That's fucking genius.

I am really beginning to DESPISE the studio penchant for the archetype posters.

It's so done. If there were no titles on these things they could be interchangeable for practically any film.

Hey look! Eva Mendes has her own poster! Who gives a shit. You wanna see Eva Mendes in a nasty tart pose go buy Maxim.

I just hate this trend.

Sue me ;)

- TB

Hey, I'm really looking forward to this, but have we really seen Frank make a Great comic film yet?

Bob Rodriquez ain't in the house on this one, and I don't think Robocop II counts here.

Only time will tell eh?

Here's hoping.

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX
I reckon he had a lot more to do with "300" than Snyder gave him credit for.

Was he even on the set of 300? I watched many of the early sneak peek behind the scenes documentaries posted online and I saw Snyder in the mix of every single shot, even helping to choreograph fights and he even trained alongside the actors.

I don't remember seeing Miller so much as sitting in a chair on set.

Are you saying he "co-directed" 300 the way he did Sin City and Snyder didn't want to give him credit for it??

I haven't watched any of the DVD special features, are there documentaries on there that show him directing????

ROBOCOP 2 KICKED ASS!!!

Have to agree to disagree on that one TL. I thought it was a trainwreck, even as a kid I was completely disappointed in it. And if memory serves Miller was lambasted for his script, and some folks wondered if he even wrote it by himself or if it was a WGA ruling that got him the sole credit after many rewrites by other people.

have we really seen Frank make a Great comic film yet?

My answer would be NO, we have not. I'm trying to remain optimistic about this one though. I want it to be a great film.

And I love the poster with My City Screams, and I hate to say it but I hate the posters and promos that make The Spirit looks like Sin City. The drawings especially just are not working for me as promos.

And that Eva Mendez poster looks like X-men to me. Don't like it.

That has no bearing on the fact that I think she's hot.

:) And I don't mind seeing her in tight cloths.

hahahaha.

I reckon he had a lot more to do with "300" than Snyder gave him credit for. I mean, Rodriguez took a LOT of shit for giving him equal billing as director...

Fred

I reckon that you're just reckoning ;)

I don't believe Miller had much to do with the direction of 300 at all.

If I'm off base about that then I'm up for eating crow if there is information out there to the contrary.

Rodriguez CERTAINLY took a lot of shit. And jumped ship from the DGA to get Frank credited.

But it's still a co-direction. Frank certainly could not take full honors for the final product.

I think he was more of an advisor with lots of input.

That said, I'm sure he learned a TON from Robert and will bring it all to bear on The Spirit.

Frank's a smart fella, but he honestly hasn't shown that HE can direct yet.

I'm supporting him whole heartedly.

And I pray he knocks The Spirit out of the park.

- TB

Noeland how could you not like ROBOCOP 2? Irvin "Empire Strikes Back" Kershner's master sequel? With the score by Leonard Rosenman?

If you do some online browsing, the film gets a 3 star rating just like the original.

The film that gave Miller a bad rep was Fred Dekker's (The Monster Squad) ROBOCOP 3. Dekker hasn't worked since and Miller basically ran from Hollywood.

Anyway, the only reason you couldn't have enjoyed ROBOCOP 2 is that you weren't particularly fond of the first film. Kershner's sequel was fantastic from beginning to end. The police go on strike, Murphy doesn't, a quest to abolish a new drug, ROBOCOP's wires get fucked with - turning him into mother goose, Cain becomes his cyborg replacement that ends up turning on its creators...And the lines. Oh God were those lines good!

ROBOCOP: "Cain, let's step outside."

THE OLD MAN: (to the Cyborgs) "Behave yourselves!"

ROBOCOP: (while unscrewing his visor) "Patience Lois, we're only human."

The movie is a fucking cream dream.

-TL

Guest FADoss

I'm not saying that he co-directed. He did serve as executive producer and he and Zack spent some serious time discussing the movie. He definitely let Zack have creative control of the film, BUT felt very comfortable, if not envious, in doing so. Read the following interview with Frank for more:

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=16424

So it's a bit more than Reckoning. I mean, he didn't abandon his baby like ALAN MOORE, that bastard...

Fred

The film that gave Miller a bad rep was Fred Dekker's (The Monster Squad) ROBOCOP 3. Dekker hasn't worked since and Miller basically ran from Hollywood.

Night of the Creeps is Dekker's best movie, sorry to derail had to say it.

So it's a bit more than Reckoning. I mean, he didn't abandon his baby like ALAN MOORE, that bastard...

Fred

I'm not sure how much input Moore put in, but his situation was a bit diffrent in that DC shops out all their books with out artist permision. Frank owns Sin City and 300 from my understanding. Sin City had been a movie in the wings since it was published, only Frank wouldn't let them because of the bad taste from the Robocop films. Rodriguez knew this, and that's way he went all out and made the first 10 minutes of Sin City before he had the rights, he knew he had to prove himself to Frank.

I don't know what Moore is like as a person, but I do know his books have been slaughtered (from the purist perspective) in the past. I can't blame him for wanting nothing to do with that. Plus, once the studio has the rights to a property, hell, any script they've bought, they can pretty much do what ever they want, they own it.

Guest FADoss

The DC argument is fine...unless you are talking about "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which was from Alan's comic company (America's Best). Maybe I'm missing something, but I think Alan did that one to himself.

Fred

With Moore, he generally stopped caring about his stories becoming movies. He had a problem with V for Vendetta, because Silver was saying that Moore approved of the movie and liked it, when he actually did not.

The DC argument is fine...unless you are talking about "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" which was from Alan's comic company (America's Best). Maybe I'm missing something, but I think Alan did that one to himself.

Fred

It was Wildstorm, so basically DC.

Fred

Tim would know for sure, but companies like Marvel and DC pretty much own any character created under their lable, so it's up to said company if they want to sell the rights. The creators have no say in it. A studio like Dark Horse on the other hand lets the creators keep their rights to the characters. I can gurantee you that if they did, we would have that Cal movie a few years ago, only watered down. People like Miller and Niles have that advantage.

Fred, I loved V for Vandetta and I thought From Hell was great. ( I've read V, not From Hell, so I don't know how it holds up)