Just the thought of an Aussie film set in horsecountry demands it star a native bloke.

In this case, that bloke is currently the most prominent Australian actor in the film industry and he's also the film's producer.

Wolverine heads west...to Australia

hughjackmaninaustralia5kd1.jpg

Baz Luhrmann's historical film set before WWII had originally attracted Russell Crowe as the main man, but after disputes over his paycheck - Jackman was the way to go. I really admire the idea of FOX wanting Australians as the leads. It serves the plot and it will definetely add to the overall experience of watching the film. I was happy to see Billy Bob Thornton, Jason Patric and Dennis Quaid in The Alamo. I would have gone berserk if they'd gotten a Brit or an Aussie to play William Travis, Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett. BERSERK.

hughjackmaninaustralia7po1.jpg

Now I must mention, that I loved Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood - which I feel is one of the greatest American epics of all time. Its not a historical epic though. Its simply an amazing three hour tale of a man and his son in an earlier stage of America's industrial evolution.

There is also a high probability that because Jackman's Seed Productions and FOX are behind Australia, that this film will carry the coveted Teaser Trailer for Jackman's 2009 Summer Blockbuster X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

hughjackmaninaustralia8fn5.jpg

ON NOVEMBER 26,

HUGH JACKMAN AND NICOLE KIDMAN RETURN TO AUSTRALIA

-TL

Looks pretty awesome.

I'm interested to see what Baz does with this as it seems a little out of his element, only considering his past work.

This seems like a bizarre 180 for Mistah Hip, Dance and Song.

Still, he's a passionate and visual director and I look forward to seeing this film.

- tb

What really catches my attention from this film, is Jackman's UNCANNY resemblance to Clint Eastwood.

Its very noticeable in other films, but its dead center in this one.

And people still complain on IMDB about Jackman as Wolverine.

-TL

Seems like Heath Ledger was orignially supposed to have a part in this, I don't remember which film he left it for though. This looks like a pretty damn good flick. I'm not a fan of Nicole Kidman but if it has Jackman I'll end up seeing it. Plus, I've always thought Australia was a beautiful country.

And as for Jackman's resemblance to Clint Eastwood, I have to agree. He looks like a very, very, very buff Clint Eastwood.

JO

I hope I won't get slugged . . .

But I am getting JACKED for this film.

I can't believe I'm saying this either.

I think I'm looking forward to this more than Wolverine too.

I love Jackman's Wolverine, I also have a long love affair with the character and the book that made him famous (my first was X-Men 113).

But Jackman in a western that looks as breathtaking as this?

And Jackman looking as cool as he does (thanks for the pics TL) in these shots?

And filmed in the Outback?

And Baz?

And . . . . I dig Nicole too.

I'm ready now. November is a long ways away.

- Tb

It makes a whole lotta sense that you guys are more excited about this than X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

You've already seen him play the guy 3 times and he keeps makin these films on the side that are just dazzling (The Fountain, The Prestige).

This is something new that he hasn't taken on before and it has a promising feel of discovery that comes with it.

Its also a western of sorts and if anybody should emulate The Man with No Name, its Jackman.

The funny thing is, this is what Hugh wants. He wants people to like what he does without the claws, so at some point he can let go of them and still have a career.

I know, that Jackman will win Best Actor very soon. For what? For something he shot in between Wolverine films.

For me he is the epidemy of the anti-hero and he has redefined the Wolverine character. I wait three years for a new adventure of Jackman with those claws like a little boy waits for his Christmas presents. I will be watching his 8th Wolverine film with as much enthusiasm as when watching this upcoming fourth.

Australia is just a bonus for me...

hughjackmaninaustralia6zs1.jpg

-TL

Baz goes podcast crazy over Australia:

Baz Luhrmann's Australia Podcast

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

J, thanks a whole lot for posting that link.

The Trailer is amazing.

I see Hugh walking away with the gold this year. If Heath's ghost doesn't take it first...

hughjackmaninaustraliabtx8.jpg

Its a year for the Aussies and I'm lovin it!

-TL

• 3 months later...

The film just got pushed to November 26 in an effort to separate it from Quantum Of Solace.

That puts Australia up against Statham's Transporter 3.

This new date also guarantees the release of the X-Men Origins: Wolverine Teaser Trailer with it.

-TL

• 1 month later...

6961_poster_2_f.jpg

6961_poster_1_f.jpg

6961_poster_0_f.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm looking forward to seeing this flick. I saw the trailer on the big screen for the first time during Appaloosa, and was just mezmerized. It looks really good.

That doesn't stop THIS poster from sucking ass though.

australia-poster.jpg

When bad posters happen to good films . . .

I'm looking forward to seeing this flick. I saw the trailer on the big screen for the first time during Appaloosa, and was just mezmerized. It looks really good.

That doesn't stop THIS poster from sucking ass though.

australia-poster.jpg

When bad posters happen to good films . . .

Could you explain what you don't like about the poster? It doesn't strike my fancy one way or the other, but I'm curious to know what the problem is with it. (I, obviously, have no artsy genes in me.)

Can there be such a thing as too much publicity?

Twentieth Century Fox's ebullient tubthumping of its Nicole KidmanHugh Jackman romancer "Australia" has some exhibs Down Under worried that the media saturation might dampen enthusiasm.

Fox is backing Baz Luhrmann's first pic in five years with the biggest P&A campaign ever seen in Oz and has promised its widest rollout ever. It's also said publicly "Australia" could become the highest-grossing pic ever in the territory, surpassing even the $39.4 million achieved by "Titanic."

Studio detailed its own excellence in a PowerPoint presentation dubbed "The Fox Factor" at the recent Australian Intl. Movie Convention.

Story continues:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799426...d=2526&cs=1

The first thing that comes to my mind when I see that poster, and it was instantanious, is GONE WITH THE WIND. I'm no big fan of NIcole Kidman, but I think this movie will be damned good.

Guest AdminGuyX
Could you explain what you don't like about the poster? It doesn't strike my fancy one way or the other, but I'm curious to know what the problem is with it. (I, obviously, have no artsy genes in me.)

I don't like the poster on a technical level mostly. The imagery is evocative because the film is evocative. There are many fan made posters floating around that blow this one to smithereens.

The airbrush/blur/blend treatments they did to both Jackman, and Kidman for the big heads is terrible. Kidman looks like a mannequin. The fiery colored background for the big heads upper half is just aweful, and the way the shoulders blend into the sky below isn't great. Jackman's hair looks tinkered with, and wierd.

The imagery below looks thoughtlessly patched together. There is no flow to the images at all.

It's going to be a STUNNING film, I want a stunning poster.

:angry:

PS: The new international trailer is amazing. Despite the tired old "two people from different worlds" angle they gave it, the film is obviosuly going to be epic, amazing, and memorable.

I want to see this now.

And hopefully I can find a poster I like enough to frame and hang up.