Disney 3D releases

Guest AdminGuyX

Guest AdminGuyX

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2008040...0770918200.html

I could not help but think "Hmmm, sounds familiar."

"We're excited to be pushing the boundaries of 3-D and computer technology to tell our stories in the best possible way," said John Lasseter, chief creative officer for Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios.

Tom's small film (and that Cameron guys big film probably too) sure does seem to be having some impact!

;)

Here's to hoping Dark Country doesn't get lost in what looks to be the next big trend in cinema, maybe even redefining how we all watch films.

Dude to be honest with you, this 3D shit ain't doing it for me.

Cinema is good as is and this overemphasis on "Stereoscopic shooting" HAS to take away from the overall film.

Cinemascope was an upgrade, this is a... I don't know.

Call me old school, but weird ways to watch a film are not on my wish list. I like movies. Normal movies.

-TL

Dude to be honest with you, this 3D shit ain't doing it for me.

Cinema is good as is and this overemphasis on "Stereoscopic shooting" HAS to take away from the overall film.

Cinemascope was an upgrade, this is a... I don't know.

Call me old school, but weird ways to watch a film are not on my wish list. I like movies. Normal movies.

-TL

Shit, 3-d is old, older than me even...damn that's old. It was born in the late 1890s, found film in 1922 and had it's 1st golden age in the mid 50s...I was born in 56 and I missed all this...thank god. Every thing I have read or seen on it say's it was brutal to watch if the 2 projectors were not in about perfect sync.

60s and70s saw a bit of a revival and 3d could at last be seen on a single film and from a single projector...so it got better.

The 80s saw a second revival wave of 3d movies, probably the ones most of us are familiar with and we will be judging these new 3d films on our experience viewing JAWS 3d, Amitty 3d, Friday the 13th in 3d. They were all a lot of fun but seemed to be more gimmick than substance...but over all the quality of 3d got better. I do have to admit right here and now that I really got a super kick out of METALSTORM the DESTRUCTION of JARED SYN and SPACEHUNTER: Adventures in the forbidden zone. 2 great 3d gimmick movies.Loved em.

So it would appear that we are moving into yet another revival, and I hope a continued improvement in the genre. To me what is a positive sign is that we are getting to see ORIGINAL material in 3d. Not a gimmick used to sell beat to death material.

So here's to hoping the new 3d creates a better viewing experience and can actually add to the film instead of just being a gimmick.

I gotta say I agree with Noeland and Irish on this one. I saw this news too and meant to bring it up here because I thought it was exciting (but I got busy and forgot).

But this new trend in digital cinema is opening a LOT of new doors in filmmaking and is creating worlds of possibilities for the moviegoer to experience movies as never before. This wave of technology is today what cinemascope was to the forties and fifties. Or technicolor was to the thirties. Every generation of filmmakers in Hollywood brings a new perspective and new ideas to the business and every so often, the business goes through (and deservedly so) a rebirth.

I think this new wave of 3-D technology is this generations contribution to the business of filmmaking. And it's a rare privilege to have the advantage that we here at RAW have, of seeing this unfold from such a unique perspective.

Thomas and his co-workers at RAW, and on "Dark Country" are truly on the cutting (or "bleeding") edge of this movement. It was only a matter of time before the rest of Hollywood started playing catch-up.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Mediumfan

What new doors? What perspective? What is unfolding? What movement?

I'm not 13. I don't wanna wear stupid glasses to watch a serious film.

The kids love it because they are kids.

What's next? Dirty Harry 3D???

This is no rebirth. That's why its been dead from year 1 as Irish pointed out and there is no reason to revive it.

-TL

TL, nobody is gonna make you watch it if you don't want to. But some people do enjoy the added thrill of 3-D when watching a movie. I know I do.

Skye, I wear glasses and I can still enoy 3-D. Yes, there will be some who cannot enjoy it, but that's life.

C'est la vie.

Mediumfan

Yeah, I did tire of the glasses after awhile, but it was part of the 3d experience...hopefully that is something that can be improved on. I am excited about the new 3d...but...to agree with TL, if we are not seeing something new and fresh? Why bring it back? I'm hoping we do get an improved experience, not just bloody machetes and gun barrels poking out at the audience. I don't want to see any throw back "tribute" type 3d movies and at KIDS 3d movies I have more fun watching the kids than the movie...and K-skye is correct in the past it takes TWO good eyes to watch these, so a portion of the intended crowd is left out from the get go.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this article about new technology in 3-D and the direction that it's pushing the industry in, and I thought it was interesting. Yes, there is still a long way to go before 3-D is truly enjoyable for everyone, but they are making huge strides in the techology. This article is about 3-D televisions that are going to start hitting stores pretty soon. They're already hitting stores in Japan, and will follow here in the US shortly after.

And as predicted, this is being hailed as the next big trend in Hollywood. Seems like it's already starting to happen, what with Dark Country and now Disney's announcement that it will only make animated films in 3-D. Still a lot of roadblocks to overcome, but it could be an exciting thing. I'm anxious to see a movie like Dark Country, that isn't just about knives flying towards you, or something jumping out at you, but a story where you can actually feel like you're inside the film, experiencing it firsthand, as opposed to just those moments designed to scare you out of your skin, and the rest of the time, nothing.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04142008/news/...ised_106476.htm

This article is also neat, because it points out that a Japanese broadcasting company is already airing regularly scheduled television programming in 3-D for a few hours a day. Not movies, but sports, travel shows, and animal documentaries. Sounds like this is a wave that is building fast and while it may not take over the way we watch television now, it may well change it in the future.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798395...=1&nid=2562

Mediumfan

TL -

I'm stubborn about this kind of stuff too.

And my natural penchant is to dismiss stuff like this outright outright cause I like things the way I like them.

When Tom first started inundating me with 3D I thought he was a bit nuts.

Then I finally saw what he was talking about.

Can't make a claim for what others are doing with 3D but the stuff I saw for Dark Country is just truly cool.

I'd always been a naysayer to 3D until I saw it done really well.

I'm a little surprised your not a tiny bit more open to the possibilities based on the way Tom explained it in our Podcast interview.

He breaks it down pretty well. But, until you see it for yourself (and I mean DC) how could you really know?

I say hang tight, give it a chance. Go see DC in 2D, then see it again in 3D.

After you've given it a fair shake I'd like to know your thoughts.

When 3D is augmented as a gimmick I'm not too down for it unless the subject matter in question warrants.

When it's used to create a more immersive experience as with DC I think it's an added bonus.

I think as long as a 3D film is also offered in a 2D format it's all cool.

Give folks the choice.

- TB

Thanks for a very honest post Street. You coulda just pumped the film by pointing out my "lack of vision" in a Palpatine voice.

Its funny you mention how when Thomas started talkin 3D to you, you thought he was nuts.

That's how I felt when listening to him in the podcast. He was talkin in a different language, very far from English.

Also, hearing him disagree with David Lynch's digust for the concept of films being watched in 2" IPhone screens, turned me off even more. I agree with Lynch 100% in saying a tiny screen doesn't do a film justice.

I'm worried about how I should watch this (in what order). You say I go 2D first - which was my original thought. That thought defeats the purpose of Jane's vision though. My concern is that perhaps (even in a subconcious way) he put this film together to work properly as a 3D picture and that the 2D version will lack his vision.

I just hope that the 2D version (if good) wasn't damaged by the overemphasis [on the set] on Stereoscopic shooting.

I love throwback films and despite the possibility of this being good, I hope Jane doesn't follow up on what he said on the podcast - that all his directorial pieces will be done in 3D.

-TL