THOMAS JANE AS SNAKE PLISSKEN?

I for one was not thrilled with the choice of Butler. But then again I wasn't even happy about the remake. Why remake such a great movie. But whatcha going to do they want to remake it they will. I for one agree that remaking Carpenter is very hard. Especially his early stuff which was very edgy and hardnosed. I think the important thing here is that whoever does it makes it there own. Otherwise it is just going to come off as a cheap imitation of Kurt. I think Jane given the right script and director could do it. But I worry on both those counts. Since you know they'll want it to be pg-13 to get in the kids. Which could just rip the balls off the movie and character.

When I was a kid there was no character cooler then Snake Plissken, the only one who came close was Han Solo and even he didnt match Snake for pure intensity. They are walking a very fine line with bigtime fans like myself. I dealt with the crap that was Escape from LA and i even got the comics they did a few years back. So I am always up for more Snake, I just pray they do it right!

Just a couple of comments on comments.

On fake Irish accents: Norman Reedus does a horrible job in Boondock Saints. And so does anyone doing radio or t.v. commercials. That last just plain pisses me off.

On Mad Max and Australian Actors: The interesting thing here is that Mel Gibson was actually born in the states and lived here for a few years before his family moved to Australia. So really the argument for an Australian Mad Max would be on shaky legs.

Mel Gibson may have been born in the U.S., but he's no American.

A man's native soil is the soil he was raised on. Mickey Rourke was born in New York - but was raised in Miami.

Mel grew up in Australia and its where he made himself a star. Naturally his return to the U.S. elevated that stardom even more, but the Mad Max legend stayed back in Australia.

Gibson is a household name for Australian actors. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe hold him in high esteem. They don't see him as an American born actor. They see him as warrior out of Melbourne.

Mad Max is the heart of the Aussies.

-TL

Guest FADoss

HOWEVER, American culture has spread all over the world due to our film and television in particular. So, someone who grew up watching our films etc. could conceivably be more American than many of the people living here. I mean, one should really define what it is to be American. I don't think we'd be to happy with the answer today. There are so many people in this country today that would NOT approve of Clint Eastwood being our "spokesman" to the world.

I don't know, maybe I'm grabbing at straws, but I think what everyone is referring to here as "American" is more of a state of mind than a birthright. It's all about an independent, "I don't take shit off of anyone", live free or die kind of dude that has evolved, in this country, into the modern ghetto gangster and rap artist. :)

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

In a recent interview conducted after the Australian Summit of 2020, Hugh Jackman (a delegate at the event) expressed his interest in keeping Australian films amongst Australians...

"I would love to help focus ways to bring, I guess like myself, Australian talent back to the country."

Here's the full interview - http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/04/19/2020_summit_in_full_swing

I think its fantastic to see the Aussies coming together for the benefit of their own cinema, something I feel is falling apart over here in America.

-TL

*For those of you interested in the latest Australian epic starring Hugh Jackman, head to the AUSTRALIA movie thread here in the Comics and Film forum.

Guest FADoss

Don't you think that's fucking hypocritical though? I mean...his biggest character to date ISN'T Australian.

The Canadians do the same shit, but have NO PROBLEM coming over here to work.

Argh.

Fred

I can see why it may sound hypocritical, but what the Australians are doing is teaming up now that they've conquered American cinema to benefit their own.

Its a great plan from a financial point of view and its obviously gonna resurrect Aussie cinema, which hasn't really made a mark since the Mad Max films.

What the American film industry is doing is being too open to foreign actors to the point that they're literally feeding off our cinema.

Today's prominent leading men are going home to their native lands and taking the work (American work) back home with them. Its not criminal, but it shows how this country yet again fails to notice how sometimes the man for the job is across the street and not across the ocean.

The real truth to all this is that we Americans enjoy the foreigners.

The terrible truth to all this is that in the longrun they're gonna put us outta the job.

Jackman's voice is clearly going a long way and with FOX under his wing, he'll most definetely open the minds of other fellow Aussies to support the cause. Cate Blanchett and Nicole Kidman are also part of the movement to return Australian talent to the Outback.

The day when American actors are addressed as inferior to the others is not far away, and that's courtesy of our own failure to support American cinema the way the Australians are supporting Australian cinema.

-TL

• 2 months later...

I think he would do well in the role. I'd still like to see Jane helm this though. I'd like to see Jane take on a lot of these big roles these days!

-Raffi