Robert E. Howard's - Solomon Kane

Just received more potential bad news for Bassett's film from someone very close to the production . . .

Likely to go straight to DVD here. Theatrical is perhaps not going to be in the cards.

I realize that probably seemed obvious seeing as there has been such a delay. Delays do not often herald good news . . .

McQuery saw it. He pretty much reiterates what AICN said . . . Uncompromising, dark as balls, and cool as shit.

But the bean-counters have a hard time selling uncompromising and dark films with no superstar actor/actress in the lead.

Damn.

I guess I'd be happier with NO theatrical release and seeing an uncompromising film on DVD with the actors they cast instead of Solomon Kane - Starring Will Smith.

Makes me wonder how I'll ever be able to market Red Sky Diary, cause I won't compromise either.

RSD will almost have to be a foreign production. It will be a huge uphill battle in this market climate.

Let's hope that climate evolves over the next few years.

All it takes is for one of these types of films to break through.

Then the oppression takes a rest, at least for a little while.

- TB

Tim, you could go DTV, or try knocking on HBO's door. A mini of RSD would be cool as hell, and give you more to flesh out.

JWeber---That's a GREAT idea!!! It would provide a much larger audience, right?

Well after I get RSD published, my plan is to propose a 10 part mini series at HBO or Showtime (or other cable network) that would lead up to the events of the big film.

That may sound ambitious but you have to think big.

It would build the audience like a beautiful slow burn.

THAT opens the door for an uncompromising film cause the fan base is established.

We'll see what happens ;)

- TB

• 2 months later...
Guest AdminGuyX

I just checked out that trailer addict link in my post above, and they have a bunch of newer vids posted included behind the scenes stuff. In absence of seeing the film, that ain't a bad fix!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I got sick of waiting for this. I mean come on already, put the fucker out already. Ended up checking ebay for imports and found a region free copy for under 10 bucks. Came today and it was pretty damn good. No reason why it should not have came out yet. Same for the score. Amazing.

If they were smart and wanted to cash in, there is enought elements in the film they could cut a trailer to have made it look like on of the LOTR films. Bassett talked about doing this as part of a trilogy, but I'm sure that's been shit-canned. I'm going to have fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath. This could have (or could still be) a great series of films.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree not a perfect film but damn better than alot of other crap that's coming out and having 20 mil spent on the pr alone. I picked this up last month and watched it three times. It's alot of fun and I'd kill to see more of them. Purefoy is great in the film. Makes Clash of the Titans look like the Flintstones. God I was so disappointed by that Clash of the Titans flick. AND they're doing a sequel to that!

I thought Prince Of Persia was 10x the movie Clash of The Titans was. I'm not saying Prince of Persia was good (I must admit to having a thing for Gemma Arterton) but the quality Disney puts into flicks like that, and by quality I mean, wardrobe, sets, visual bliss, the movie looks like a great movie should look. Yeah the story was ..weak, let's say.

Can you imagine what they could have done with Solomon Kane with Prince of Persia money/resources behind it?

Can you imagine what they could have done with Solomon Kane with Prince of Persia money/resources behind it?

For starters, it would have been released in the States. Damn shame it hasn't.

The funny thing with Solomon Kane is how amazing it looked with the little budget it had. Kind of makes you wonder where all the money really goes. The bad part about small films is that they want to spend three times the budget advertising it. In the cyber age, I just don't get how they can justify it all. Facebook is free last time I checked. There, I just cut your ad budget in half ;)

• 10 months later...

Good news KANE lovers - Michael J. Bassett has been posting on his journal that they are very close to a deal on North American distribution for SOLOMON KANE !!!

Hopefully it won't be long now.

I was an immediate fan of Bassett when I was lucky enough to be given access to a viewing of KANE.

For those not in the know, his new film is Silent Hill: REVELATION.

I thought the first film was a mess. There was some cool stuff in it but a few bits of cool stuff does not a good film make.

Christophe Gans films always look good but there has to be a story and compelling characters in there somewhere!

Not a fan of the vid game either, mostly cause I never really played it. But Bassett doing the sequel has me interested.

With every film Michael has done his work has gotten better and better, each step has him amping his game.

So after KANE I'm actually pretty excited to see what he has in store for SH: Revelation.

Anyway, stand by for further news on KANE.

- TB

I remember watching Solomon Kane for the first time and thinking Bassett would be perfect for a Silent Hill film. The look and tone of it just fit so well. I was super psyched when I heard he got it.

The failings of the first film are completely down to the script. It’s patchy as hell and it has the world's all time most useless subplot (Sean Bean wandering around doing...stuff). It was a great visual ride (the soundtrack was fantastic too) but the story left a lot to be desired. With Bassett onboard I'm sure he'll bring the heart to it that was missing the first time around.

Long overdue. Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen, I've been making due with the European DVD. It's too bad it didn't get the studio attention the new Conan film recived. Much better film.

I was talking about BluRay, but you never know ;)

Talked with Michael and things are looking real good.

Conan's budget was 30M more than what they had on Kane, and Kane nearly grossed the same numbers without the benefit of a North American release.

Conan did 21M - WORLDWIDE

And Kane did $19.5M - in Europe alone

Telling.

- tB

Blu is still good news. At least it will get an audience here.

Although his characters are at diffrent ends of the spectrum, Kane and The Town were amazing films for Pete Postlethwaite to end his career on. I wonder if they will do something for extra features on him?

Not sure about the Postlethwaite extras, but I grilled Michael about Pete the first time we got together.

Michael says that he was going through big rounds of Chemo before he showed up on set and was very ill and tired as hell.

Michael felt terrible 'cause he had him out in the cold, mud, muck, drizzle, and rain for long shooting days and nights.

He didn't miss a day of work. Was the first actor there and the last actor to leave. Gave it his heart and soul.

On set, I think only Michael knew how ill Pete was (or very few folks). Pete didn't want special treatment and didn't want anyone making a big deal out of it.

What an incredible guy Pete Postlethwaite was.

- TB

I've always loved Pete. He was in the first film I ever bought, Alien 3. He always stuck out for me. He had an amazing voice. I've heard the stories about how he was trying to hide his illness, and his work ethic. It's a shame not a lot of the bug buck stars come close to that kind of drive.

I've yet to read the Conan books. Read the comics, see the films, but not the books. I know there are glaring diffrences, but not sure how they stack up to Howard's work. Kane on the other hand was a big step in the right direction. The look and tone where amazing. For the cost of the film, it surprised me at how great it looked, and with the sucess of Lord of the Rings, I can't believe no one snatched it up distribution Theatrically or on home video.

What I'd kill to see is Bassett tackle El Borak with Jane. He's just a cool character. I went as El Borak for Halloween this year and when people would ask, I'd tell them, "He's like Indiana Jones, but more bad ass."

It is surprising with movies like Centurion, Black Death, Ironclad that something like Solomon Kane didn't get picked up for distribution here sooner. But there's I don't see a comparison to Lord of the Rings, that was a very popular series, Kane on the other hand seemed more of a niche character.

The comparison I was aiming at was the Sword and Sorcery element. You have the knights and kings, but there is also a dark, supernatural element to it, where as Ironclad is missing the supernatural. I guess I was not going for popularity.

I have not see Centurion or Black Death. Black Death I have waiting on a stack of films to see, but is Centurion worth checking out? I have not heard anything about it.

I really liked Centurian. I don't know how it compares to Solomon Kane but to me I think that Centurian just had more cash and I think that's what Kane's problem is. They worked miracles with what they had but there are scenes here or there when I watch I think "Shit. That is so cool. If they just had a little more cash they could have pulled that off all the way." Better CG or more time for more takes or ideas.

The thing with an El Borak movie, would it be modern or a period peice? I would think it would have to be a period peice though I'd love a updated version but I'm not sure one could exist in a modern middle east setting.

I turned a friend onto Howard's book's and he didnt like them. He's not my friend anymore.

Ha! Just kidding! Actually he said it wasn't well written. The text was verbose. I told him he had to keep in mind these stories were pulp stories from the 30's! Depending on what your reading, Howard was still finding his way as a writer AND he had an Editor sending him notes about what he wanted in the stories Howard produced. So yes, sometimes the material may read differently, he may use terms we are not accustomed to hearing on a regular basis, but that's nitpicking. The stories are solid and they move, in my opinion, like a bullet train.