"The Mist" comes out on DVD in France, and there is also the black and white version, that's cool ! :)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the 2-disc edition, and watched the B&W version; Darabont is right, i think it really changes the movie, gives it a different feel. Neither one is superior to the other, just different, and i loved them both. The ending still has me in tears every time (hell, i even watched it with the commentary playing, it still got me). i have so much respect for anyone that has the balls to pull off an ending like that, to feel so strongly about it that they refuse studios who insist on the standard Hollywood Ending.

SPOILERS--The thing that strikes me the most is, where does he go from there? He has lost everything, some by his own hand--guilt will pretty much be his only companion. i know what i'd do.

Yup, nothing for it at that point but to bite the bullet and just get lots of professional counciling.

i don't really think there could ever be enough counseling for something like that--tend to think they're a bunch of fucking hacks anyway...

i don't really think there could ever be enough counseling for something like that--tend to think they're a bunch of fucking hacks anyway...

Thanks for clarifying that Parker, When I visit the Institute of Mental Health in Chennai on Friday and talk to the psychiatrists, the social workers and all the other 'fucking hacks', I'll let them know they are actually just wasting everybodies time and that they should just turn all the residents loose!

Then on the way home, I'll can call into my friend who suffers from depression while he's at work in his high paid job and tell him to ditch all the medication the 'fucking hacks' prescribed him as they are clearly a waste of time!

Thanks for clarifying that Parker, When I visit the Institute of Mental Health in Chennai on Friday and talk to the psychiatrists, the social workers and all the other 'fucking hacks', I'll let them know they are actually just wasting everybodies time and that they should just turn all the residents loose!

Then on the way home, I'll can call into my friend who suffers from depression while he's at work in his high paid job and tell him to ditch all the medication the 'fucking hacks' prescribed him as they are clearly a waste of time!

Sorry, i didn't mean to offend anyone; i was only basing that on my own personal experiences. i'm sure they serve their purpose for others, and i know they have helped a lot of people.

Just not me.

No problem man, I'm just having a bad week (sorry, didn't mean to vent) and having helped run a panel discussion on the negative portrayals of people with mental health issues by the media (most people with mental health issues lead perfectly normal, productive, successful lives once they know how to control things, but the media always blows negative examples out of proportion) it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

Fact is, when it comes to this, there is no silver bullet, so like you said, it works for lots, just not all.

Guest FADoss

The problem with mental illness is that there are SO many contributing factors between nature and nurture that treatments have to vary significantly in some circumstances from person to person.

I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago. This is after a pretty successful six year stint as an Air Force officer, graduating school with a decent GPA etc etc. The doctor was amazed that I was able to operate to adulthood without it being a major problem. However, my IQ is higher than average (may not always be readily apparent on these boards) and I drink caffeine like a motherfucker (have since I was 8). Caffeine is actually SELF MEDICATING for ADHD.

Mix a high IQ meaning that I didn't have to TRY as hard or FOCUS as much and the fact that I was practically overdosing on caffeine and I was operational. Now I'm on straterra which helps...IF I remember to take my pills...bad part of being ADHD and on meds. :)

Fred

No problem man, I'm just having a bad week (sorry, didn't mean to vent) and having helped run a panel discussion on the negative portrayals of people with mental health issues by the media (most people with mental health issues lead perfectly normal, productive, successful lives once they know how to control things, but the media always blows negative examples out of proportion) it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

Fact is, when it comes to this, there is no silver bullet, so like you said, it works for lots, just not all.

No need to apologize for venting, i do it myself--sometimes unexpectedly (as in, it's even a surprise to me sometimes when it happens, violent mood swings and all).

i am sorry you're having a bad week, but i really would have loved to sit in on that panel discussion. By 'the media', do you mean journalistic media, or entertainment, or both? Just wondering, because i've always been kinda fascinated by the portrayal of depression and mental illness in entertainment.

The problem with mental illness is that there are SO many contributing factors between nature and nurture that treatments have to vary significantly in some circumstances from person to person.

I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago. This is after a pretty successful six year stint as an Air Force officer, graduating school with a decent GPA etc etc. The doctor was amazed that I was able to operate to adulthood without it being a major problem. However, my IQ is higher than average (may not always be readily apparent on these boards) and I drink caffeine like a motherfucker (have since I was 8). Caffeine is actually SELF MEDICATING for ADHD.

Mix a high IQ meaning that I didn't have to TRY as hard or FOCUS as much and the fact that I was practically overdosing on caffeine and I was operational. Now I'm on straterra which helps...IF I remember to take my pills...bad part of being ADHD and on meds. :)

Fred

Ahh, caffeine--one of my favorite drugs.

Of course, i also tend to self-medicate with other things, but mine comes in tall glass bottles...

i am sorry you're having a bad week, but i really would have loved to sit in on that panel discussion. By 'the media', do you mean journalistic media, or entertainment, or both? Just wondering, because i've always been kinda fascinated by the portrayal of depression and mental illness in entertainment.

It was 2 very successful Indian (Tamil) directors (Rajiv Menon and Vasanth), a freelance journalist, an ex Health Minister, 3 psychiatrists, a CEO from a Media/Advertising corporation and one of the founders of the charity I'm working for, here in India at the moment. Good discussion, which gave us a lot to think about. For example, there are guidelines about the portrayal of animals, but not about people with mental illness - so all men with mental illness are raving psychopathic killer, while the women have messy hair and just babble incoherently (what horsesh1t - the truth is closer to 'A Beautiful Mind' - although most schizophrenic's don't go on to win a nobel prize, John Nash did!).

Sorry FADoss, I know you were interested in finding out more about working in Indian cinema, and I meant to try have a chat with the directors, but by the time I had finished with work related stuff, they had left (If I get a chance to meet them again before I leave on Friday, I'll make sure to ask). Although interestingly, one of the views that came out of the discussion was that more films need to be made in regional dialects here (I'm guessing you don't speak Tamil, Telugu, or Hindi), as the english language films are not understood/watched by the rural, poor and ill-educated people (70% of the population).

India is an interesting place, it's amazing the power of media here. Apparently loads of rehabilitated patients stopped taking their meds when a movie shown on TV here preached that all medication was a sham and the best thing to do was consult the local 'healer'. Now I'm all for faith healing, in support of medicine, but preaching that it should replace all medicines, WTF????.

i really feel people need to make their own decisions about what works for them, not follow along like sheep. Some people need meds, some need counseling, some just need to vent sometimes (and some of us like to drink). It is really all up to the individual, and as long as no one is getting hurt...

One movie that I think is a good study on what mental illness can do to a person is Taxi Driver, which also happens to be my favorite movie of all time...Deniro's character in that movie is a good example of what happens to a person if they don't get help...Oh and about caffeine...anyone else here love starbucks doubleshots? Im a college student and that stuff works!

One movie that I think is a good study on what mental illness can do to a person is Taxi Driver, which also happens to be my favorite movie of all time...Deniro's character in that movie is a good example of what happens to a person if they don't get help...Oh and about caffeine...anyone else here love starbucks doubleshots? Im a college student and that stuff works!

Have to agree, Taxi Driver is one of the greatest movies ever. Got the 2-disc collector's ed at Walmart for $6! It's such a shame that the mainstream audiences (sheep) don't appreciate it more. Makes me sad, but at least there are those of us that can appreciate and respect quality work.

• 4 weeks later...

I found another really cool review online, from a blogger, about The Mist and Tom's performance. Reader beware of plot details and spoilers though! Read at your own risk!!

http://tgunhorror.blogspot.com/2008/10/rev...-mist-2007.html

Here are a couple of excerpts, and, apologies to the blogger, but I have to post choice morsel:

"Thomas Jane did a fine job in this one. But that's my opinion. I've had a little "man crush" on him since Deep Blue Sea. Only to be reinforced in with the movie The Punisher."

and

"Outside of Jane being a total bad ass, the rest of the characters were pretty good."

The rest of the blogger's is pretty straightforward and serious. I just thought the "man crush" thing was sweet... ;)

Jen

David Drayton was kool, but Ollie Weeks was the true badass in this movie!

I loved Ollie - he brought it!

Honestly, the whole cast was so great in this movie, especially Tom.

You cannot help but feel for his character and I even felt for him as an actor, having to go through what the character does.

What I love about the film is that it really is not so much about any mist or creatures but it really is a character piece, a psychological thriller, a psychological study, that ultimately asks in nearly every moment: What would you do?

I am about to check-out the black & white version, as well ... that will be an interesting comparison.

- Joanna

Nice observation, Jayesse. That's the thing that I think most people didn't get about this movie, the fact that the "monsters" or the horror in this movie were not the creatures, or in fact anything that was outside in the mist, but rather what was inside the store, and in the hearts of mankind and what we are all capable of in such a situation. That is the true "horror" of the movie, but unfortunately, many people went into it with the expectations of seeing real monsters and blood and gore, and left feeling cheated, when in fact, they had no clue what the movie was really about.

This movie reminds me of the kind of movies that used to (and still) scare the crap out of me. Movies like The Sentinel, The Hearse, Burnt Offerings, et al. Movies where the evil wasn't readily visible but was nonetheless palpable and terrifying. Another one that scared the bejeesus outta me was Dominique is Dead (Or is she?) This movie reminds me of that kind of thrill-a-minute goosebump-inducing, flesh-crawling feeling.

I haven't checked out the b&w version (I have to do it when I don't have to get up early the next day, because I know I won't sleep after watching it, lol!).

I loved Ollie - he brought it!

Next to David Drayton, Ollie was one of the only true characters in the movie, and he made the movie. (Him and Mrs. Carmody :P ) Another one I liked was the old lady (Frances Sternhagen). I loved when she hit Mrs. Carmody with the can of beans, and told her "there's plenty more where that came from." :lol:

Nice observation, Jayesse. That's the thing that I think most people didn't get about this movie, the fact that the "monsters" or the horror in this movie were not the creatures, or in fact anything that was outside in the mist, but rather what was inside the store, and in the hearts of mankind and what we are all capable of in such a situation. That is the true "horror" of the movie, but unfortunately, many people went into it with the expectations of seeing real monsters and blood and gore, and left feeling cheated, when in fact, they had no clue what the movie was really about.

This movie reminds me of the kind of movies that used to (and still) scare the crap out of me. Movies like The Sentinel, The Hearse, Burnt Offerings, et al. Movies where the evil wasn't readily visible but was nonetheless palpable and terrifying. Another one that scared the bejeesus outta me was Dominique is Dead (Or is she?) This movie reminds me of that kind of thrill-a-minute goosebump-inducing, flesh-crawling feeling.

I haven't checked out the b&w version (I have to do it when I don't have to get up early the next day, because I know I won't sleep after watching it, lol!).

Next to David Drayton, Ollie was one of the only true characters in the movie, and he made the movie. (Him and Mrs. Carmody :P ) Another one I liked was the old lady (Frances Sternhagen). I loved when she hit Mrs. Carmody with the can of beans, and told her "there's plenty more where that came from." :lol:

I got plenty of peas!

It was 2 very successful Indian (Tamil) directors (Rajiv Menon and Vasanth), a freelance journalist, an ex Health Minister, 3 psychiatrists, a CEO from a Media/Advertising corporation and one of the founders of the charity I'm working for, here in India at the moment. Good discussion, which gave us a lot to think about. For example, there are guidelines about the portrayal of animals, but not about people with mental illness - so all men with mental illness are raving psychopathic killer, while the women have messy hair and just babble incoherently (what horsesh1t - the truth is closer to 'A Beautiful Mind' - although most schizophrenic's don't go on to win a nobel prize, John Nash did!).

Sorry FADoss, I know you were interested in finding out more about working in Indian cinema, and I meant to try have a chat with the directors, but by the time I had finished with work related stuff, they had left (If I get a chance to meet them again before I leave on Friday, I'll make sure to ask). Although interestingly, one of the views that came out of the discussion was that more films need to be made in regional dialects here (I'm guessing you don't speak Tamil, Telugu, or Hindi), as the english language films are not understood/watched by the rural, poor and ill-educated people (70% of the population).

India is an interesting place, it's amazing the power of media here. Apparently loads of rehabilitated patients stopped taking their meds when a movie shown on TV here preached that all medication was a sham and the best thing to do was consult the local 'healer'. Now I'm all for faith healing, in support of medicine, but preaching that it should replace all medicines, WTF????.

speaking of India, I might be going back there next year to do a film called The Rani - about a British officer who falls in love with an Indian Princess...

speaking of India, I might be going back there next year to do a film called The Rani - about a British officer who falls in love with an Indian Princess...

This sounds fantastic. Have you used a British accent for a character before?

Here's a detailed blogger's review I found of The Mist 2-disc Collector's Edition with lots of info about all the extras. PLOT SPOILER ALERT!! Proceed at your own risk to the review:

"Darabont raises some fascinating questions about the notion of heroics and this is masterfully realized by Thomas Jane’s wonderfully layered performance."

http://rheaven.blogspot.com/2008/10/dvd-of...collectors.html

Jen

• 4 weeks later...

This is so going to be the first Blu Ray disk I buy (curses on the death of HD DVD tho, it was so the better format). Can't wait, have my Blu Ray drive in the post right now :-)

So lucky to be heading back to India Tom, man I love that place. A real shame ot hear about what is going on out there at the moment, but the real sad thing is that this kind of thing (well, not on such a large scale) happens there all the time now, but it's never reported in the West... until some tourists starrt catching bullets that is. The day I arrived in India there was a series of bomb blasts in Delhi, so naturally I called home the next day to let my family know I was fine. They had no idea what I was talking about, dozens of people dead and not a word about it in the news.

Parker, Murphy -

I wanted to take a moment and applaud you both for taking the high ground so quickly in what could have been some potential ugliness.

When someone has a bit of venom in their heart it's easy to step up, be insulted, and take it up another notch.

The true "stepping up" was Parker's quick apology. That right there is the easiest was to diffuse another tired online pissing match ;)

That's what a MAN does, takes responsibility. And big thanks to Murphy for being such a gent.

I hope everyone on the forum takes note.

Well done.

- TB

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.