Mutant Chronicles

yeah i was supposed to do the DVD commentary with Ron and Simon but i was caught out of town finishing up HUNG. i hope the dvd has some extra goodies on board. i'd like to see some storyboards from the elusive David Allcock. Davey! did you hand in any concepts?

just spoke to simon - the dvd has EVERYTHING a proud movie geek could possibly want - storyboards, concept art, making of, commentaries, interviews and a really cool green screen version of the movie. you can see the progression from pencil sketches all the way through to finished shots. neat stuff. in the spirit of hung - its another 'bumper package' :D

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my verdict. Visually very fucking cool. Also some great characters and very cool moments. The film as a whole is kind of blah though. Script is weak. Damn shame too, because Tom is great, I love Pertwee and of course Perlman and Aoki. I also dug Malkovich's role, though since he did D&D, his being in a movie doesn't imply it's going to be good to me.

All in all, Tom and the visuals were the saving graces for this film. Props AWESOME. Steam punk Final Fantasyesque vehicles and landscapes, COOL. Even the mutants were great. Just seemed like plot and story were afterthoughts.

Fred

well damn, I did like it and very visualy entertaining. Characters were awesome. Of Course our Friend TJ Kicked ass!!!!!

So I well be geting it for sure. As my fellow Raw brother said. Needing some smoothing out. Over all still enjoyed it very much.

I missed it on Sci-Fi while I was in Vegas this weekend, but I saw it at San Diego Comicon 2008. I was able to really enjoy the movie for what it was. From my perspective it was stand alone sci-fi thriller/adventure that was entertaining throughout. There isn't enough time to do any serious character development, but from an entertainment perspective the characters are iconic enough to be able to identify them. Tom really delivers Mitch Hunter as the reluctant, but efficient hero. Other than the unrefined effects, it is a fun movie.

Fred,

I also dug Malkovich's role, though since he did D&D

I am confused, did you mean John Malkovich in Eragon or Jeremy Irons in D&D?

Mike

DVR tonight. How the hell did this sneak onto Sci Fi as a SCI FI ORIGINAL! Thomas Logan dropped me a line to let me know or I would have missed it. Looking forward to it!

As posted here (well, somewhere in the thread, LOL) and my Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group, SciFi Channel also repeated Mutant Chronicles that Sunday, and will show it again on July 23rd at 9pm EST in USA, if they stick to their schedule (which usually doesn't happen...). Mark your calendars! :D

Jen

It ran for two and a half hours on SciFi. First time I'd seen it, but I did read the book (novelization) when it first came out. I know the book added some things that weren't in the movie, so it's hard for me to tell what was trimmed. I got the impression that it pretty much ran straight through with bleep outs for the F words. Seemed to be plenty of blood and guts to go around.

I'll watch the DVD when it comes out in August.

That's my thought. An average 1/2 hour show is only 22 minutes and channels like Sci Fi have a LOT more commercials per hour. I'm waiting for the DVD

I'm still going to check out the DVD. And Kwiat, the ad breaks were about 5-6 minutes each and fairly frequent. Wouldn't surprise me if we got the 1.5 hour version and an hour of ads.

I recorded this but I haven't watched it yet. It's still sitting on my DVR. I did see it when it was in theaters.

I wouldn't be surprised though if SyFy didn't chop it all to hell.

So the dvd comes out in August? Good. With the way this movie has been handled, it's hard to know what to expect anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
I recorded this but I haven't watched it yet. It's still sitting on my DVR. I did see it when it was in theaters.

I wouldn't be surprised though if SyFy didn't chop it all to hell.

Oh, I did finally watch the "SyFy" version with tons o' commercials, and I noticed that it was the "full-length" version, not Simon's Hunter's shortened director's cut!

So there was that added short scene of Mitch Hunter visiting Nathan Rooker's wife Patty and daughter Grace.

I think Simon Hunter removed that scene from his "cut" because it was too much "talk", too much exposition.

Maybe there were other things that were different, but I don't know; that's the only thing I caught.

Jen

Oh, I did finally watch the "SyFy" version with tons o' commercials, and I noticed that it was the "full-length" version, not Simon's Hunter's shortened director's cut!

So there was that added short scene of Mitch Hunter visiting Nathan Rooker's wife Patty and daughter Grace.

I think Simon Hunter removed that scene from his "cut" because it was too much "talk", too much exposition.

Maybe there were other things that were different, but I don't know; that's the only thing I caught.

Jen

Well, after reading the book first and then watching the flick on SciFi, I have to say I'm disappointed that the scene with Mitch and Nathan's wife and daughter is not in the Director's cut. They were why he went on the mission in the first place - to get the two tickets for them!

Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

the Mutant Chronicles soundtrack arrived yesterday, and after a few listens I must say I'm very impressed. It reminds me of a hybrid of something Hanz Zimmer, John Williams and Danny Elfman would have made. I think Richard should be able to get lots of film work after this one. The music is actually too good for a sci-fi/horror B-movie flick. It makes the whole thing epic.

Anyway. For my European friends, I ordered the soundtrack from Play.com

Yay. :)

I caught the SciFi one when it aired, and I just watched the dvd. I gotta say, I preferred the tv cut (well, except with the censored f-bombs).

Okay, now maybe I'm crazy, but in the tv cut, didn't the spaceship/machine at the end look like it was heading for Mars? Unless its hidden amongst the credits, then the director's cut gets some points removed. Unless my brain just made it all up. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone know if the Blu-Ray actually came out and if it's in any stores. I tried a few Targets and Walmart's and odds and ends places but it looks like I may have to order it online.

Well, I saw this link to a review of the MC blu-ray:

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/101/1011386p1.html

so it must be out there somewhere.

• Geoff changed the title to Mutant Chronicles
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.