Mutant Chronicles

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out an awesome review of (the unfinished!) Mutant Chronicles that was posted in the U.K. magazine Film Review. Tom sent it to me a little while ago and it's in pdf file form, but luckily Yahoo Groups accepts uploads of pdf files...

Check it out at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thomas_Jane_2/

and go to the Files section, and it's a loose file, under the labeled folders. Enjoy - and thanks so much Tom for sending it to me to post for your fans and those curious about the film. :D

Jen

Been reading reviews about MC, and this one is a bit harsh; please feel free to leave comments.

P.S. I genuinely dislike this writer; it is as though he tried to make it in the business and failed miserably, now feels the need to critique. Click on his name and he trashes every movie and its stars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/revie...s.html?ITO=1490

Thanks.

I guess someone has had to be sending out copies of the movie for review. Maybe someone got a hold of a DVD copy, ripped it, and put it back where they found it. Before, albums would be leaked maybe 5 months before it came out. Now it's not out on the web until the day of release. One of the reasons for that, is that the labels now watermark the albums they send out for review. A Dimmu Borgir album got leaked, and they could download the album, and knew exactly where it came from, and even though the label dude in italy didn't rip the album, he got fired and forever banned in the music biz... You have a certain responsibility when you are shown confidence by getting a pre-dvd of a movie as well. There needs to be something like iTunes for movies as well.

Good review from Film Review. "Verdict: Experimental and entertaining, this way be the future of science fiction." :) Can't wait to actually watch this movie...

Speaking of Sci-Fi. Mr. Jane! You would fit perfect in the upcoming Morgan Freeman produced, David Fincher directed, Arthur C. Clarke written, Rendezvous With Rama. Though this is very Hard-SF (meaning that it's very little fantasy elements as in soft-SF (star wars, pitch black). You actually believe what you read). I think the whole movie will be in almost zero gravity as well. Very claustrophobic and more of a Zodiac style movie. I think Mr. Fincher is the man to pull the project off though. But seriously. Jane would be perfect in one of the parts. It's really only one lead actor as I see it in the book. But I think it will be more of an ensemble cast, where you have "famous" people, playing smaller, but remember able parts. I doubt Freeman will take the lead role (he's supposed to be in the 40s-early 50s. A space captain which is a big fan of James Cook kind of thing). Though instead of the sea, your in space. Oh well, Freeman has been trying to get funding for it since 2000, so who knows what'll happen. I really recommend the book at least. ;)

Been reading reviews about MC, and this one is a bit harsh; please feel free to leave comments.

P.S. I genuinely dislike this writer; it is as though he tried to make it in the business and failed miserably, now feels the need to critique. Click on his name and he trashes every movie and its stars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/revie...s.html?ITO=1490

Thanks.

Damn and double damn... the image at that review page really spoiled it for me now :(

Oh well, might as well start with the book then...

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UOHuSEFpAG1FD..._Review_Mag.pdf

Just trying this. Don't know if it will work. If Not, please edit it out.

Not working for me for some reason :unsure:

Hey all - I want to post the review Tom sent me here, but I have it as a pdf file on my computer. I have a Photobucket account, but they only accept " jpg, jpeg, gif, png, bmp" - not pdf!

Does anyone know how to convert a pdf file to one of those files, or how to add an image that's stored on a computer and not "online" - darn technology! It keeps tripping me up - at least computer-wise. :P

Jen

Hehehe, technology will be our doom, that's for sure! You cannot convert a PDF to all sorts of things with the right tools. Here is a link to an application that converts a PDF to JPG: http://www.pdftoall.com/pdf-to-jpg.htm. It is a trial however.

Thanks for that link Eldritch. I'm on a work computer, so I don't want to mess with that and download stuff. It would be better than the cut 'n' paste job I just did... Oh, well! :)

Jen

Thanks for that link Eldritch. I'm on a work computer, so I don't want to mess with that and download stuff. It would be better than the cut 'n' paste job I just did... Oh, well! :)

Jen

No problem Jen! Glad it worked out anyhow. Thanks for posting the review, it was awesome. I feel I am going to explode from waiting for this to come to the theatres in Sweden. At chapter 4 in the book now, and if the movie is this cool, it will kick ASS!

saw it at the cinemas today and i gotta say i loved it. Acting as great, story was good and the fight scenes were brilliant

I agree with Logan, detailed review! :D :D (Preferably no spoilers)

...and the actual review. I hope the text comes out big enough. Man, I love "ctrl + alt + print"! ;)

MCFilmReview2008.jpg

Jen

Just noticed the running time of the movie as mentioned in that article... 1h and 51mins. That is about 10mins more than mentioned everywhere else. Do you guys think that it has been extended somehow? The leaked version was around 1h 41mins, ríght?

@Jay: Since you've seen the movie, could you help me with something I am wondering about? In the book, there is mention of three other creatures beside the "humanoids with arm-spikes". One quite large creature that looks like a big heap of muscles ("Razide" from the RPG), one that looks like a centaur ("Ezoghoul" from the RPG) and one that is quite large with spikes in its head ("Nepharite" from the RPG). Just curious to know... :)

@Jay: Since you've seen the movie, could you help me with something I am wondering about? In the book, there is mention of three other creatures beside the "humanoids with arm-spikes". One quite large creature that looks like a big heap of muscles ("Razide" from the RPG), one that looks like a centaur ("Ezoghoul" from the RPG) and one that is quite large with spikes in its head ("Nepharite" from the RPG). Just curious to know... :)

There were only the humaniods with arm spikes. the other creatures might be a part of the film that wasnt finished and hopefully will be done for the american cut.

Ill put a more detailed review on sometime tomorrow

I don't remember anything like the creatures described above from the screening I saw.

I could be wrong. My seat was massively uncomfortable after the first 20 minutes and I fidgeted a lot ;)

My thought is that they wanted to spice the book up a tad AND have it appeal to the built-in MC RPG game fans.

And that is definitely Forbeck's forte, he knows games!

A novelization can often times include this type of ancillary material. Especially if the film adaptation ignores some of that.

Matt's novelization offers a lot of info that will help you fill in the blanks from the film.

Maybe Matt could shed some light on your question Eldritch. I'll contact him and see what he says.

Matt does offer quite a bit of info about Mutant Chronicles and the novel during his interview on Geek Radio. Check it.

MC info happens during the first 10 minutes.

- TB

OK, Matt just hit me back so I'll try and structure this in a way that would seem as if HE was posting it.

Unfortunately he cannot, as our membership controls have been deactivated (no one can sign up) because of the Spam issues last week.

We'll get all that sorted out soon enough and then maybe Matt can come by and join our discussion.

We'll assume this question was directed toward Matt ;)

"None of those other creatures appear in the film. I put them in the novel to help tie it more directly to the original RPG material, but the only members of the Dark Legion that appear onscreen are a particular kind of Necromutant—and they are never named as such."

"I had a great time working on it (the novel), and Tom did a fine job in the movie too. That always makes it more fun."

- Matt Forbeck

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a Ton for the insight Matt!

- TB

• Geoff changed the title to Mutant Chronicles
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.