Mutant Chronicles

The Toronto After Dark Film Festival is going on October 17 - October 24 and "...on Wednesday October 22nd the Toronto After Dark Film Festival will present a screening of Thomas Jane in “The Mutant Chronicles”".

I first saw this news from a blogger's site here:

http://www.renerd.com/?p=983

and Dread Central also picked it up, without the exact date of screening:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/story/final-fi...onto-after-dark

and here is the Official Toronto After Dark Film Festival site for more info:

http://www.torontoafterdark.com/

Now, I'm still confused...is this still a rough cut film that will be shown at the Fest?

Jen

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa?

The movie is out in Russia apparently and will be screened in around 100theatres in the UK on October 10th. According to the director at least.

check out: www.simonhunter.com

Just checked out Simon Hunter's website. The pictures and all are awesome!!!! Can anyone in official capacity let us know the status of the movie, if it has gotten its overhaul or not...

Yup! Better rolling than stalling I say! But please oh please (Santa?), I'd love to see it in the theatre in Norway as well... Even if only a limited release.. :)

EDIT: My post is an answer to JWeber. Eldritch, don't know about the overhaul... but myself I doubt it.. I guess the production company just took the offers of distribution it got, and thought "to hell with it" and released it anyway. BUT that's just my own personal paranoid conspiracy theory. :P

the story so far: mutant is being released in the UK in the old format: rough cut with unfinished FX. yeah. then it's hoped that it will be released in the US wiith the new edit and finished FX. the UK version should come out like next week! this is the old version we've all seen on the net.

i say WTF?

but the UK money wants it out in theaters and that's what they will do. we have no say. What say you?

the story so far: mutant is being released in the UK in the old format: rough cut with unfinished FX. yeah. then it's hoped that it will be released in the US wiith the new edit and finished FX. the UK version should come out like next week! this is the old version we've all seen on the net.

i say WTF?

but the UK money wants it out in theaters and that's what they will do. we have no say. What say you?

Sounds damn messy.

Andrew

Online petition.

Thomas,

If it is bad form to answer this question, just shine on it. How much work is actually left? Do you guys have the gig bid, and don't have the cap to pull it, or is it still not fully fleshed out? It would seem that a theatrical release is a deeper financial commitment then paying a few 3D artist and a special effects team to wrap a few scenes. (Sorry, I didn't make comicon, and my own revenue experiences keep me from the torrents to see the current state of affairs for the film.) The reason I ask, is that there is a lot of talent out there struggling for gigs. I am up in Seattle, and I can get decent talent for dirt due to the miserable market conditions. (Don't worry, I have huge loyalty to the people who do work for me, so they get multiple gigs from me, and I reference people out the wazoo for other gigs. Nobody ever went hungry working for me.) I have to imagine the market is worse in LA and wrapping the production in earnest is more reasonable today then it was last year at this time. Sorry if this is too personal for a public forum, but the distribution team in the UK sounds like they are tripping over their own dick, and ultimately killing the revenue potential.

Best regards,

Joe

All I can think is that they're trying to double dip the UK, to raise the revenue to finish the movie.

Got to say I'm always kind of 'peeved' by the practice of double dipping, but the fact that a UK audience is being singled out for it (and the fact that the British director appears to support this) is just bizzare!

Where did the idea that a UK audience has less discerning tastes and will happily shell out to see an unfinished product on the big screen (where the unfinished effects will be even more prominent) come from? Lets face it, if it gets a decent size release as a rough cut, then in the UK we're never going to see the finished cut in the cinema's once it's been completed (how many films get released twice!!). For Shame!

I'm glad to see TJ is not supporting this decision, as the level of regard the UK (and Russian) audience is being treated with is just plain insulting.

Maybe Terry Gilliam's animation style? :rolleyes:

Joe

Hahaha!!

we have no say. What say you?

Thanks to Thomas for sheding some light on this. It is sad to hear that the movie is not yet finished, but I understand the pressure put on the distributor (Pressman?) by the cinemas. Sure, it seems to be well received in Russia, but I am confident that it will blow in the UK. However, I hope that it will bring in some revenue and that it will be finished before shown here in Sweden (selfish thinking, I know... I'm just a super big fan of MC).

It would seem that a theatrical release is a deeper financial commitment then paying a few 3D artist and a special effects team to wrap a few scenes.

I have no insight into this whatsoever, but that sounds like a really good question... My thoughts is that it does not necessarely have to cost that much to release a movie in the theatres since the theatres are the funders for that operation. They pay to receive the movie and to show it. The production/distribution team does not have to pay anything... please correct me and smack me another one if I am mistaken ;)

Maybe Terry Gilliam's animation style? :rolleyes:

Joe

Um... you do realise that Terry Gilliam is American... and the british are all in favour of supporting special needs animation projects .... just not in the cinema :P

Um... you do realise that Terry Gilliam is American... and the british are all in favour of supporting special needs animation projects .... just not in the cinema :P

My God, you guys had to outsource to get that quality!

:P:P

Joe

Guest AdminGuyX

Personally I'm not happy with these choices. That they are willing to release an unfinished film to theaters is pretty bothersome, especially given that a "finished" version is being released after it.

It just seems backwards and idiotic to me.

Personally I'm not happy with these choices. That they are willing to release an unfinished film to theaters is pretty bothersome, especially given that a "finished" version is being released after it.

It just seems backwards and idiotic to me.

Yep, they are eating their own young. It is not like you ever really get the opportunity to re-release anything. How long did it take Spielberg to get the recut Close Encounters out? How long for the Directors Cut of Blade Runner? This isn't like having an instructor review your rough draft. The revenue potential for the UK is probably less than halved by this action and better special effects for the home/DVD/Blu-ray market makes almost no sense.

Joe

i say WTF?

I say this is ridiculous.

I also say whoever leaked the movie needs a beating.

-TL

i say WTF?

Hmmm.

I'd heard good things from the Frightfest gang, don't know what version or where they'd seen it but it would most likely be a festival(?) or a screening, but certainly bonafide. As I mentioned before, they wanted to show it at the festival in August.

I'd rather hold out for a print you were happy with, but of course it does no good to "boycott" and scare off the US distributors (although Doomsday suggests they'll do that all on their own). These days, there's less stigma to bringing out a DVD directors cut, but people might be put off if there's too much talk of that in advance.

Shame on the money people that they can't get the finishing touches done first.

Yep, bad call. Finish the film, then release it.

I'm sure there are a myriad of rationalizations, some even well founded, that have brought this film to it's current state.

But the big picture is the most important. You do the film and it's reception a huge disservice when you release it in such a way.

Is it greed? Necessity?

I call it unfortunate.

Trudell

Spurting blood is seen on frequent occasions during the battles. Stronger moments of violence include the brief image of a character being disemboweled, soldiers' faces sliced apart by the claw of a mutant and bloody decapitations.

Yeah! That's the shit I wanna see :D:D:D

Can't wait... argh...

• Geoff changed the title to Mutant Chronicles
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.