I prefer there not be a sequel honestly. But, if it does get done, I'd like it to be done in a standard way, not in the shaky cam again.

Agreed! I got pretty sick during Cloverfield. Kinda bummed I didn't get to enjoy it properly.

Guest AdminGuyX

Cloverfield is basically a "youtube" movie. A film made with this generation of camcorder junkies in mind.

I don't want to see more video of the same events, or the same timeframe just shot from a different perspective. That's kind of lame. Personally, I say film those as webisodes in conjunction with a true sequel.

Or release a film where authorities are viewing many different videos, so we can just see all the found footage in the context of one film.

Noeland, the in-theatre experience of watching Cloverfield cannot be reduced to a simple "sit in front of your laptop and you just got outta the bathroom" scenario. The panic that this film makes you feel (9/11 comes to mind) by being shot the way it was, is what makes this a successfully entertaining picture.

I really can't believe that some people disliked the film because of its cinematography. Not every film has to be shot the same way. Abrams is a genius in using $20 million to shoot this thing the way he did, and the studio execs were smart enough to listen.

Cloverfield is what science fiction should be all about - merging the lines of fiction and reality.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX
Noeland, the in-theatre experience of watching Cloverfield cannot be reduced to a simple "sit in front of your laptop and you just got outta the bathroom" scenario.

Oh yeah, I know. I wasn't insulting the film by calling it a "youtube" movie. Just saying it fits with the current climate of popculture is all.

I really can't believe that some people disliked the film because of its cinematography. Not every film has to be shot the same way. Abrams is a genius in using $20 million to shoot this thing the way he did, and the studio execs were smart enough to listen.

Yeah, the problem is the choices they made are making people physically ill man. People aren't going to like, or recommend a film that makes them throw up, or get dizzy as all get out, Y'know?

I agree that not all movies should be shot the same way, but I do believe they should keep in mind that films have the ability to create motion sickness in many people (and maybe they did, I dunno).

I personally like the way the film is shot. I think it's a great idea, and tied in with the viral marketing gives the film a very nice "real world" feel. Especially since 9/11. People were glued to their TV's and computers watching all the personal videos and stuff.

Compared to Blair Witch, every farting, dog humping, old men fighting, and people falling down video online is shakespeare.

I hated blair witch like TL hates punisher war zone.

I'm surprised you hated Blair Witch Noeland.

Was it the cinematography or just the story?

I personally liked the concept of 3 idiots that go deep into a forest to fuck around with the supernatural in a quest to document that which shouldn't be documented. I would hate to be in their position, and at the time the whole "Mockumentary" thing wasn't clear - so me and my friends thought we were watching the real deal.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is coming out this year and I honestly feel disgusted by it. Shit no-one should be watching and least of all something a studio should be making money from.

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

I liked the very end of Blair Witch with the hand prints. I wasn't scared by it (actually had a similiar experience once - long story) I just thought it was really cool visually. The end entertained me.

Other than that I thought it was a complete waste of time.

But when I saw the film I knew it wasn't real. The problem I had with it though, the thing that sucked me right out of the movie was not the way they shot it, it was the really annoying whiny characters in the film.

I grew up in Michigan, and in my youth I was camping every weekend, I did lots of hiking and lots of hunting and fishing. I was not scared of the woods, I loved being out there, especially at night. So, imagine going to see a film about the least scary setting possible for you. The woods are noisy. Big deal. It's not scary.

That said, I did understand how it could be scary to folks who just are not comfortable in the woods at night. I've seen people freak out while camping because they are sure bigfoot or a brown bear is going to eat them while they sleep.

I just find people freaking out on "home video" uninteresting! :)

Well, if it involves law enforcement and tazers I kind of like it.

hahahaha.

Snuck in an afternoon viewing of Cloverfield today....sadly it was about what I expected. Now I by no means hated this movie on the level that I hated BLAIR WITCH, but it was a bit BLAIR WITCHY...

I didn't love it either.

I did love the effects and the action scenes. And the statue of liberty pinball head was just as cool as I thought it would be. But I really didn't care for a lot of the rest.

AND the SHAKEY CAM THING? ANNOYING AS FUCKING HELL! I did think the ending was just right for this flick though. It made perfect sense to me and I really think that the director set it up perfectly for a sequel, which I would go and see and probably LOVE because there is no way that they can do the SHAKEY ASS CAM THING AGAIN. ...unless the bastard uses the excuse of filming from a news crew or a military hand held unit...in that case I won't even view the dvd...

I am a really big fan of the JAPANESE giant monster movies and I did really like how the director sort of reinvented the genre, getting the man on the street point of view was one of the things I really did like and the creature was seen stomping on major parts of the city which was cool and I thought a decent tribute to good ole GODZILLA and much more fun to watch.

But I know the secret... I know why these things are so pissed off in all these movies. They are all constipated...really! Send in an armor piercing missle loaded up with ex-lax and they'll all feel better and go home. I mean, monsters that big and none of em ever shit? All animals shit and they don't care were they do it. I got shoes full of cat shit to prove it...well not anymore, but I did.

Couple of other observations...

Noeland, you'll never make it through this movie, you'd have to leave...or look away through about half of it, but that would be ok cause most of it would be the dumb parts like where they run across the street and all you see are shakey asses and elbows.

Tim Bradstreet...if you go to see this movie? Bring your lawyer with you. They blatantly STOLE YOUR DEATH SPIDERS MAN!!!!! LAWYER UP ON THEM BASTARDS!!!!

Overall if you think you will like this movie? then you should really see it on the big screen, a lot will be lost when it goes to dvd, so don't wait, it really should be seen in the GIANT SCALE it was meant for.

HA! could you imagine this bad boy on IMAX? everybody would be barfing from motion sickness!

The best mockumentary I've ever seen is a french film called Man Bites Dog. It is one hellova an experience. Funny, scary, action filled, and surprisingly real. It was so realistic that it was banned in many countries due to the fact that it was really raw and uncut. They didn't understand it's done as a comedy. It's dark, black humor at its finest. Great film, if you haven't seen it check it out. It'll have you singing the song, "CINEMA!"

Here's a trailer for the film. There are four different ones. This is the first and most known of them. And it gets right down to the point. Priceless.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oi5rmt-gucs&feature=related

s165.jpg

There is talk of Cloverfield sequel and Keanu Reeves is supposed to be involved. I'm not a big fan of Keanu, to me his best film is My Own Private Idaho with River Phoenix. But I'm not goin' to knock him. He might just suprise me.

JO

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon , is kinda like Man Bites Dog except it takes place in a world where Freddy Kruger, Jason Vorhees and all the cinematic slashers are real. It's pretty good.

Also, I'm guessing

The last shot of Hud after he is spit out is a homage to

Cannibal Holocaust.

The best mockumentary I've ever seen is a french film called Man Bites Dog. It is one hellova an experience. Funny, scary, action filled, and surprisingly real. It was so realistic that it was banned in many countries due to the fact that it was really raw and uncut. They didn't understand it's done as a comedy. It's dark, black humor at its finest. Great film, if you haven't seen it check it out. It'll have you singing the song, "CINEMA!"

Here's a trailer for the film. There are four different ones. This is the first and most known of them. And it gets right down to the point. Priceless.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oi5rmt-gucs&feature=related

s165.jpg

There is talk of Cloverfield sequel and Keanu Reeves is supposed to be involved. I'm not a big fan of Keanu, to me his best film is My Own Private Idaho with River Phoenix. But I'm not goin' to knock him. He might just suprise me.

JO

I'll check this movie out I did enjoy the trailer, thanks. Ain't it funny in it's self how some people GET THE HUMOR and others don't? They say, "Dude that ain't funny...How can you laugh at something like that?". I never try and explain because they WILL NEVER GET IT ANYWAY!

God I think Keanu would so suck at a movie like CLOVERFIELD, please be wrong...

I'll check this movie out I did enjoy the trailer, thanks. Ain't it funny in it's self how some people GET THE HUMOR and others don't? They say, "Dude that ain't funny...How can you laugh at something like that?". I never try and explain because they WILL NEVER GET IT ANYWAY!

God I think Keanu would so suck at a movie like CLOVERFIELD, please be wrong...

Yeah. I didn't like the idea of Keanu either. Very very bad idea.

Man Bites Dog has a Criterion release that's uncut and complete. Great value and cheap price.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

The artwork for man bites dog is some of my favorite film promo art ever. I just love that poster.

Noeland, you'll never make it through this movie, you'd have to leave...or look away through about half of it, but that would be ok cause most of it would be the dumb parts like where they run across the street and all you see are shakey asses and elbows.

I did OK. The movie made me a little bit motion sick, but I'm really used to that feeling (I have an inner ear thing) and it doesn't make me have to throw up getting motion sickness. It's just uncomfortable. For the most part though, I was fine. Honestly, there were scenes with people screaching in panic that annoyed me a lot more than the shaky camera did.

I just wanted more monsters. More, more, more.

So if they bring do that in the second film (they are already showing the monster in the TV commercials, so it's no big secret now) and give us more alien death spyders (good call Andy, I agree) and more dumbass camera guys getting chomped on, I'll be happy.

I don't mind if Keanu is in it, but it's not going to feel "real" as this one did, unless he's playing himself, traveling with average folks through the destruction.

The artwork for man bites dog is some of my favorite film promo art ever. I just love that poster.

Yeah. I've always loved that piece. What was funny was when the film was original released they were forced to change the pacifier into a jaw of human teeth. Kinda funny, seems like the second image would be more offensive haha

JO

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
At the Star Trek panel at Wonder-Con (more on that later over on ComingSoon.net), director J.J. Abrams was asked about the progress on making sequel to their monster hit (ha ha) Cloverfield, which opened last year to set a couple box office records.

"We're actually working on an idea right now," Abrams told the packed crowd. "The key obviously at doing any kind of sequel, certainly this film included, is that it better not be a business decision. If you're going to do something, it should be because you're really inspired to do it. It doesn't really have to mean anything, doesn't mean it will work, but it means we did it because we cared, not because we thought we could get the bucks. We have an idea that we thought was pretty cool that we're playing with, which means there will be something that's connected to Cloverfield, but I hope it happens sooner than later because the idea is pretty sweet."

Look for more coverage of Wonder-Con, both here and over on ComingSoon.net in the next 24 hours.

Source: http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9741