The hype that surrounds this upcoming monster fest is really pulling me in. I find myself constantly trying to figure out what to expect when watching this. I've got tons of theories, but nothin solid. Its got Lizzy Caplan, so that alone will get me to put in my $8.

lizzykaplan5ql8.jpg

lizzycaplan3eb2.jpg

lizzykaplan2fv0.jpg

Anybody got any expectations for Cloverfield?

-TL

Man, I don't know what to expect from this damn film. I don't know what the hell is even goin' on in this film. There's so much mystery, confusion and chaos. The trailers for the film look exceptional but I don't know if it's creatures, people or what destroying the city. Cloverfield is something completely different. Worth the money to find out though.

JO

Guest AdminGuyX

Well, I like the trailers, but I won't be able to sit through 2 hours of that shaky handycam footage so I am hoping that isn't the WHOLE film. That there are nice sequences of dolly shots, tracking shots, and locked down camera work. Since this is supposed to be "found" footage, maybe they will intercut it with whoever found it, and is watching it.

A movie set in New York, post 911, where things are getting trashed and buildings are falling down is going to get panned by critics for being insensitive, exploitive, whatever. I don't feel that way, but I rarely draw a straight line from the movie theater to real life, as so many other people do. :)

So I'm hoping the movie is well done, and not just shaky handycam "halfass" shots all the way through.

And I hope the monster looks cool. I'm a little worried about that.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend Cloverfield truly invaded the box office:

The film which cost $30 million to make, grossed an estimated $46 million in its 3 days of release.

Once again I recommend this film to all the members of the Board, it is worth the money.

-TL

I really hope if they make a second one they keep it real. Abrams told Entertainment Weekly he wouldn't wanna stray from that which made this one so successful. I haven't felt such panic in a movie since Blair Witch - and because this brand of panic was so grounded, it was far more intense.

I kept saying after the first time I saw it: "That could happen. And if it did, that's what it would be like."

-TL

Well, I suppose I should fess up as to why I have been dragging my feet on seeing this movie...

A couple of things make me nervous about...

1.) Everybody says I must see this movie!!!!! Usually my first clue that I should miss it. I often don't like "MUST SEE" movies.

2.) The shaky cam thing will more than likely drive me crazier than all that oiled up slo-mo action in 300. (I really did not like 300 very much...everyone told me I JUST HAD TO SEE IT!)

3.) I see way to much postings and wordings comparing it to BLAIR WITCH...which, to me was an incredibly dumb movie...so I may just wait till this hits bargain movie houses or even DVD.

...but I was wrong on RAMBO...and the statue of liberty head doing the pinball thing through the streets of NYC looks cool...so I'm still debating...

Really the only comparison to The Blair Witch Project, is that both are shot in the same style. The shaky cam isn't as bad as some would have you believe, it's a pretty steadily shot movie. Plus unlike the Blair Witch, where you see nothing, you actually see the monster in all its glory in Cloverfield.

The little radio transmission during the credits was awesome.

And a sequel may be done in the same way... in an interview Abrams stated that there's a scene in the movie where Hud (the guy with the camera) films someone else filming him, so they can do the perspectives of different people.

What really ticked me off... is that 'Meet the Spartans' got a bigger box office than Rambo and Cloverfield (though the race was close with Rambo).

Well, Meet the Spartans did beat Rambo (by a hair) but it didn't beat Cloverfield - which was released a week earlier and made much more in its first weekend.

Irish46, I myself thought 300 was good, but not great. Cloverfield is a real experience. Real is the word that comes to mind, and in this case in a sci-fi flick, its a really cool cinergy.

-TL

Well, Meet the Spartans did beat Rambo (by a hair) but it didn't beat Cloverfield - which was released a week earlier and made much more in its first weekend.

Irish46, I myself thought 300 was good, but not great. Cloverfield is a real experience. Real is the word that comes to mind, and in this case in a sci-fi flick, its a really cool cinergy.

-TL

I mean this weekend.

Meet the Spartans was number 1, Rambo was 2, 27 Dresses was 3, and Cloverfield was 4.