The Dark Knight

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine how anyone can really bash Bale with any kind of seriousness. The Batman voice was a bit crappy...doesn't make him a bad actor. And it's also easy to be overshadowed on a film when the other guy is an equally good actor, is strung out on drugs and gets to play a raving psychopath.

Plus we have no idea what the original cut of the film looked like, pre Ledger's demise.

Again, not trying to downplay the amazing performance Ledger gave, but I think its INCREDIBLY unfair to attack Ledger as an actor. Too much evidence to the contrary for any thinking man with a good set of senses.

Fred

There is no 'original' cut. The cut that we see on-screen is the same cut it was meant to be all along. There's only one scene that was filmed that didn't make it into the film (probably was cut for pacing reasons). That scene took place right after Joker pushes Rachel out the window. It's basically Joker leaving the penthouse and talking to one of his goons about how Batman tried to save Rachel.

There is no 'original' cut. The cut that we see on-screen is the same cut it was meant to be all along. There's only one scene that was filmed that didn't make it into the film (probably was cut for pacing reasons). That scene took place right after Joker pushes Rachel out the window. It's basically Joker leaving the penthouse and talking to one of his goons about how Batman tried to save Rachel.

Where'd you see that? Can't deny it would be just the kind of thing a studio would pull...exploit a situation to make more money off the film.

I was under the impression that the movie may have been edited to highlight the joker more.

Of course, my original argument has always been that to top Nicholson we HAD to see a lot of a good Joker in this one. The film had to almost be ABOUT him.

Anyway, I think everyone did an amazing job regardless and you're probably right Arsh.

Fred

Where'd you see that? Can't deny it would be just the kind of thing a studio would pull...exploit a situation to make more money off the film.

I was under the impression that the movie may have been edited to highlight the joker more.

Of course, my original argument has always been that to top Nicholson we HAD to see a lot of a good Joker in this one. The film had to almost be ABOUT him.

Anyway, I think everyone did an amazing job regardless and you're probably right Arsh.

Fred

Agreed!

That's just more non news, there is abso-fucking-lutely nothing going on regarding a third movie right now.

More news than most of the bullshit in the War Zone thread...

:)

THE POINT of me posting this was that I brought up SEVERAL pages ago that they ought to get Pearce to play The Riddler. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Fred

Guest AdminGuyX

If they get Guy Pearce for the next film, I don't care what he plays, I'll enjoy it.

I could see him as a "Nolan" Riddler a lot easier than Depp.

You know, the Riddler is sort of a good guy these days in the comics.

Pearce would give it a very serious take, I think.

Depp probably more quirky.

I don't know which I would prefer in the role, given the choice.

Depp would be another Ledger and take over the whole film. He doesn't share the screen well.

Fred

The TRUTH about The Dark Knight's record breaking run:

"There's one more big box office record out there for The Dark Knight, but don't hold your breath that it will catch Titanic. However, the Batman sequel did get its name in the record books once again this week, becoming the all-time highest-grossing first run film in IMAX history.

The previous mark was held by The Polar Express, a movie about a couple of potheads on the run from a murderous dealer...oh wait, that's something else. Anyway, The Polar Express made $45 million in its initial release (IMAX has brought the film back on a few occasions for the holidays), which represented about 15% of its total domestic gross. The Dark Knight has made $55 million - and counting - since hitting IMAX less than two months ago.

Overall, the film has made in the ballpark of $925 million worldwide, with better than half of that amount coming from U.S. ticket sales.

Both IMAX and Warner Bros. are keeping the door open for a future re-release of the film, similar to what the large screen exhibitor has done with The Polar Express, which, of course, is a movie about a Chinese-themed fast food chain. Right?

As you may know, our position here at The Big Picture is that the studio should boost the number of theaters showing The Dark Knight just in time for Halloween. How many people would come dressed as Heath Ledger's Joker, do you think? If they do, a push in IMAX's direction would be a good fit, too, and it would allow the film to inch that much closer to the all-time domestic box office record."

--Colin Boyd @ getthebigpicture.net

• 3 weeks later...

Video Business reports that Warner Bros. should expect a 30% increase in sales over the fourth quarter last year thanks to the Batman sequel, which will push for several major Academy Awards, including Best Picture, a Best Director campaign for Christopher Nolan, and an acting award for Heath Ledger.

The single-disc standard DVD will set you back $28.98, and the two-disc limited edition is $34.99; The Dark Knight will be available on Blu-Ray for $35.99.

'Dark Knight' DVD to Be Released December 9th

As of today The Dark Knight has grossed a Domestic $525 Million and a Worldwide $985 Million after only 10 weeks.

It is currently the 2nd Highest Grossing Domestic Film and the 4th Highest Grossing Worldwide Film.

Its truly amazing.

Now all we gotta do is wait for the Oscar Nominations in January, and Heath's golden statue in February.

"What I have done, very few will ever do."

heathhospitalcopybdp0.jpg

-TL

So its been 3 months and The Dark Knight is only playing in 600 theatres nationwide.

The ride is almost over, which means the DVD is getting closer and closer.

Sure, we're getting an IMAX re-release before the Oscars - but with a Blu-Ray player at home, most people will skip it.

These are covers featured in the various editions of The Dark Knight DVD...

Let's start off with the Bare Bones single disc edition,

23644539yo0.jpg/ 72338474dt9.jpg

Now here's the 2 disc Special Edition,

73794735ic9.jpg/ back2ai6.jpg

Now the piece de resistance --- The Blu-Ray Edition,

24520179zi2.jpg/ 56700928ge2.jpg

Finally, here's the Limited Edition Blu-Ray Collector's Edition,

darkknighboxsetkj5.jpg/ darkknightboxset2qz0.jpg

The Batpod is REALLY getting exposure on these DVDs/sets.

*Naturally, there's gonna be a 2 disc Special Edition Steelbook which has not yet been revealed.

Hopefully it'll have Heath's image on the front like the cover of the regular 2 disc Special Edition, if that's the case I'm buying it.

For the Blu-Ray, I'm just throwing away the outer sleeve.

This next item is pretty interesting, The Australian 2 disc Special Edition features Heath on the outer sleeve instead of the actual DVD cover...

darkknightdvdcg7.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the DVD coming out in December is that it will lack Heath's Academy Award Nomination/Win on the cover.

A re-release is most probably in store for us down the line.

Only 2 more months 'til we're watching The Joker unleash hell in our homes,

-TL

If they get Guy Pearce for the next film, I don't care what he plays, I'll enjoy it.

I could see him as a "Nolan" Riddler a lot easier than Depp.

You know, the Riddler is sort of a good guy these days in the comics.

If they went with the RIDDLER, I'd love to see this guy play him...I know he wouldn't, cause he ain't a big enough name. But I think he had the joker down pat in CROW CITY OF ANGELS. As I watched DARKNIGHT, I kept thinking...I've seen some of this before? Then it hit me and I watched City of Angels over again and there it was. Not that I want to create the Joker in the Riddler, but as somebody else posted, I'd like to see them continue the Gotham City Looney Bin theme...Perez can do looney.

Vincent Perez.

vince.jpg

I have no idea what he looks like today, his site says this pic was from 03/05 sometime.