SIN CITY 2: A DAME TO KILL FOR

origin1950

I'm looking forward to this more than any other upcoming comic book flick because I'm getting a little anxious and worried about it. To talk Dark Horse, it took Hellboy 4 years to spawn a sequel, so I'm hoping that interval will be used with Dame to Kill for in a 2009 release. There are many new actors attached including Rodriguez regulars Danny Trejo and Antonio Banderas, so I shouldn't be so fuckin uneasy about the whole thing. Then there's that Joe Carnahan rumor about Rodriguez showin him a sneak peek of Dame to Kill for, that should put me to rest.

Anyway, anybody else gettin a bad vibe about this thing takin too long to be made?

I gotta see Mickey Rourke rip out Michael Clarke Duncan's eye...

mickeyrourkeismarvuv6.jpg

-TL

Guest AdminGuyX

I'm in the minority of people who didn't shit themselves over the first film. I did not enjoy most of the flick. I felt it was all hoped up on speed, and on fast forward. It was just too frenzied for me, and didn't take it's time letting the audience settle into things, settle into the mood. And maybe because it was digital, but man it was clean looking, processed, sharp, and vivid. I really wanted something dirty and dingy, that moved a little slower and worked up to the violence and killing.

And I feel that because Rodriquez was making a kids film at the same time (they shot the kids film in the day, and Sin City at night) there was some cartoony-ness inherent in the choices made, and the overall film had a very cartoon feel for me.

ANYWAY, that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the next film, I am.

I LOVE the score for the first film like a junkie loves a hit. It's one of my favorite things to play while I'm drawing.

I feel they have a lot of room to grow as more sin city stories get told.

And yeah, Mickey Rourke absolutely rocked as Marv. Nobody else could have played that role the way he did. His segments were really the only parts of the film I enjoyed.

Njc----------

I'm in the minority of people who didn't shit themselves over the first film. I did not enjoy most of the flick. I felt it was all hoped up on speed, and on fast forward. It was just too frenzied for me, and didn't take it's time letting the audience settle into things, settle into the mood. And maybe because it was digital, but man it was clean looking, processed, sharp, and vivid. I really wanted something dirty and dingy, that moved a little slower and worked up to the violence and killing.

And I feel that because Rodriquez was making a kids film at the same time (they shot the kids film in the day, and Sin City at night) there was some cartoony-ness inherent in the choices made, and the overall film had a very cartoon feel for me.

ANYWAY, that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the next film, I am.

I LOVE the score for the first film like a junkie loves a hit. It's one of my favorite things to play while I'm drawing.

I feel they have a lot of room to grow as more sin city stories get told.

And yeah, Mickey Rourke absolutely rocked as Marv. Nobody else could have played that role the way he did. His segments were really the only parts of the film I enjoyed.

Njc----------

I know what you mean. I really wanted to see something different.

I mean Sin City was different by all accounts but I wanted something more/less.

I wanted a raw and sketchy look, like it was drawn by Frank Miller himself. I liked only two segments of the film and those were Mickey's and Bruce's. I liked parts of the others also but really only for key things that happened. If I watch the film it's usually for the Mickey segment.

Because Mickey had that role down pat. Hearing stories form the director about how Mickey got into character. Mickey listening to alot of Johnny Cash especially his cover of NIN's "Hurt."

It was just interesting to see it. I'm lookin' foward to the new film though.

I want more Mickey.

Since he had his bad turn of events with doctor's butcherin' his face and so on he can't seem to get any good roles other than thugs. I wish things were the way they used to be. Sucks things had to happen this way.

But that's neither here or there. I love Mickey and I'm happy to see him anything. The man is gold.

JO

Sin City was dead on with the comic. The cartoon elements were very much intentional...and let's not forget that Frank was knee deep in this one. I thought the film was pretty and cool...but it's not my bag...nor are the comics. Great film...and I'm hoping to work on the next one (I'll be down in Rodriguez country by then).

My question about this, looking through the graphic novels, is there a comic book to back up this film...or is this all new material. I haven't seen a trade that covers this arc. The Marv storyline was covered in the last film...and he died.

Here's hoping the Johnny Depp rumors are true. :) He STOLE "Once Upon a Time in Mexico".

Mickey is a BMF BTW. He was also great in OUTM

Frederic

Out of the 16 Sin City stories Miller wrote, Marv is the protagonist in 3 and a co-star in 1. Dwight is the only other character to lead 3 stories.

A Dame to Kill for, Miller's second story (6 issues) is a Dwight book primarily, but Marv pretty much steals the show in the comic. I expect the same to occur on screen.

Marv's other adventures are Silent Night and Just Another Saturday Night (which takes place the same night Hartigan reunites with Nancy at Kadie's).

He has a cameo in Blue Eyes the intro story to Delia.

Sin City IS Marv. The warrior of the streets died in The Hard Goodbye [Miller's first], but he HAD to bring him back to make things interesting.

MICKEY ROURKE REIGNS THE STREETS OF SIN CITY

mickeyrourkeismarv3so3.jpg

-TL

Thanks for filling in the holes in my Sin City knowledge.

On a side note, I'll be moving to Austin soon...where this film is SHOOTING. HOPING LIKE HELL TO GET ONBOARD!!!

I read for Frank on "The Spirit" and was a total retard...He is the MAN!!!

Frederic

Guest AdminGuyX

I agree, Marv IS sin city for me. That character has never been matched in any other sin city story IMHO anyway.

And yeah, I know Frank was knee deep, but still, Frank left a lot of the control of the finished film in Robert's capable hands. And I'm not saying he did a poor job, he didn't. I just didn't like all of the choices they made creatively.

Others, I loved.

I just didn't think it was the second coming like many other folks seemed to when it first came out.

:)

"So you were scared weren't you Goldie? Somebody wanted you dead and you knew it. So you hit the saloons, the bad places, looking for the biggest, meanest lug around - finding me. Well I'm gonna find that son of a bitch that killed you, and I'm gonna give him the hard goodbye."

mickeyrourkeismarv5up0.jpg

Noeland, I know that speech by heart. That's the Impact that this film had on me on Midnight, March 30th 2005. I KNEW Mickey was gonna come back in a big fucking way, I just never thought it would be this big. This is the dream Mickey Rourke film. And we deserve a SECOND COMING!!!

mickeyrourkeismarv4st9.gif

-TL

I absolutely loved the first movie... and the original comics and graphic novels are quite brilliant.

Though the fact it's been like 2, 3 years since the release of Sin City is a bit disconcerting... I really wanna see SC2... it'd be so awesome... maybe coincide it with the release of Frank Miller's new Sin City stories?

My favourite character of the first film was Hartigan... I mean, amidst the all the chaos and brutality of Sin City, he's the only one who really stood out as a true hero. Though admittedly, Marv kicked the most amount of ass and Rourke was amazing as him, and Dwight McCarthy is still cool as well as Clive Owen.

I hope Rosario Dawson comes back. Can't get enough of that woman.

Is Rachel Weisz still on for playing Ava Lord in A Dame to Kill For?

There's a strong possibility that Rachel Weisz may not do Ava Lord. This is concerning her recent career upgrade that also led to her pulling out of Mummy 3. The other problem could be the amount of nudity that role requires. Weisz's attachment is a 2 year old rumor that hopefully proves true. I still think there are better choices than her. The Fountain was great though.

Rosario Dawson has already said that she might be doing her 3rd nude scene in A Dame to Kill for.

As for Johnny Depp... He WOULD be perfect as Wallace, the only other one book protagonist besides Hartigan. The problem with that character, is that to introduce him in his story Hell and Back, you'd have to introduce Delia first.

Delia is the ONLY Sin City female lead. She stars in 3 books, and co-stars in 1. Blue Eyes shows her initiation as an assassin working under the Colonel (Josh Hartnett), Sex & Violence (aka Wrong Turn and Wrong Track) has her on assignment following a target, and finally in Hell & Back she gets offed.

That color story (Hell and Back is the only Sin City story in color) would take up a great deal of screen time. I feel it will be in Sin City 3. There's been talk of Salma Hayek playing Delia, but I'm very much against that.

Whether or not Johnny is in 2 or 3, doesn't really matter to me. As long as Mickey is in EACH and EVERY film they make, I'll be in the theatre watching Jessica Alba ATTEMPT a good performance.

-TL

• 3 months later...

Robert Rodriguez's prequel to The Hard Goodbye and The Big Fat Kill has been on the backburner since 2005.

The financial failure of Grindhouse: Planet Terror influenced this delay a great deal.

At the moment Rodriguez is in pre-pro for Barbarella starring Rose McGowan, which will begin principal photography this Fall.

Mickey Rourke is already on call for A Dame to Kill for after finishing Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler.

Expect SIN CITY 2 in the Summer of 2009.

-TL

Thanks TL; this has answered some questions of mine.

I thought they were going to include a story about Hartigan in the Nancy story as well. I know Willis said he would not be doing SC2...

Unlike the first film which told 4 separate stories - The Hard Goodbye, That Yellow Bastard, The Big Fat Kill and The Customer is Always Right, SIN CITY 2 will focus entirely on A Dame to Kill For.

It will also have a subplot (but not a separate section) about Nancy's vigilante mission against Senator Roark (Powers Boothe).

-TL

Have you checked out:

Casting Rumors for Sin City 2

If they get Depp and Banderas...it's on... :P

Sin City 2 (2010)

Yeah as I mentioned in an earlier post, Johnny Depp's involvement will be identical to that of Bruce Willis: [because Hartigan and Wallace are one-time protagonists] 1 story. 1 film. Hell and Back.

Its the longest SIN CITY story arc (9 issues) and its the only one in full color. The problem with Hell and Back, is that you have to introduce Delia before you can do it. This is why there's rumors that Rodriguez and Miller threw in a Delia yarn (in the same fashion of The Customer is Always Right) in SIN CITY 2 to introduce her.

Delia's first story is Blue Eyes - in which Marv makes a cameo. That story is followed by Sex and Violence (Wrong Turn and Wrong Track) which is prior to her death in Hell and Back.

Josh Hartnett is gonna enjoy the addition of Delia aka Blue Eyes to the films because his character The Colonel is always with her.

Who is Banderas playing? Not a clue.

The concept of making A Dame to Kill For one solid SIN CITY tale, came from the reviews of the first film. Most people loved The Hard Goodbye (Mickey Rourke's film) and really lost interest after he died one hour into the film. Rodriguez and Miller decided to do a 2 hour film where Marv could operate throughout 80% of the film to keep the audience glued to their seats.

Its gonna be great watching A Dame to Kill For merge into The Hard Goodbye right before the climax. In The Hard Goodbye we see a piece of A Dame to Kill For when Dwight (in his new face) talks about Marv's nature.

-TL

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
As beautiful as Zack Snyder's 300 was, many will still argue that Sin City is one of the only movies that is a true frame-by-frame adaptation of a comic book. And since it hit theaters back in 2005, fans have been overly anxious for a sequel. But as we all know, Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez have been delayed for years now, each taking on their own individual projects, and pushing the start date back even further. However, Frank Miller himself finally provides us with a glimmer of hope today, courtesy of IGN. "Sin City 2 is written," he finally says. "And we could be shooting as soon as April." I hope it's true this time!

Miller confesses that, "It's mainly a matter of working out the details of the production. I'm hoping to do it with Robert Rodriguez again in the same circumstances that we did the first one." Miller wouldn't tell IGN anything else, although they've already predicted that we might see Sin City 2 by the end of next year. I wouldn't be so quick to call this a confirmation, given we've heard these exact statements from both Miller and Rodriguez before, but it sounds like they've finally made some good progress on the sequel. Miller will be done with The Spirit by December, and Rodriguez will be done with Shorts by sometime early next year.

Continue reading:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/04/fra...shoot-in-april/

Earlier today, Superhero Hype! had a chance to sit down for fifteen minutes with the one and only Frank Miller, creator of "Sin City" and "300," to talk about his upcoming movie based on Will Eisner's The Spirit. While he had a lot to say about that highly anticipated project, the questions continue to loom over some of the other projects based on his works, including possible sequels for successful movies based on Sin City and 300.

With a lot of rumors swirling about a potential sequel or prequel to Zack Snyder's 300, which was based on a standalone graphic novel, some have wondered how involved Miller would be, and if he might write or draw another graphic novel based on the subject matter as basis for another movie. "I've written a story that's not a prequel," he told us. "It's definitely a further story in the Greco-Persian Wars, and it involves some of the same characters but I'm not sure exactly how far along it'll get and again, until it's on a marquee, I don't believe in it."

Last week, we spoke to actor Mickey Rourke about returning as Marv in Sin City 2, and he seemed kind of tentative about spending three hours putting on Marv's make-up, but Miller shared, "He has a pretty big role. I hope Mickey plays it."

Continue reading:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spiritnews.php?id=7907