P R O M E T H E U S - ALIEN prequel from Ridley

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must have got all amped up doing that Prophets of Sci Fi show of his. I love that show and goddamn if all the stuff I've seen for the film just keeps pushing me to the edge of my seat for this flick. Damn I can't wait.

Guest AdminGuyX

Now, I'm not a big fan of Damon Lindelof. I was a big LOST fan, and for a while I listened to his podcast but, well, he's annoying. So I stopped. BUT, this is worth a watch despite his constant annoying crap.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a new t.v. spot up: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/awesome-tv-spot-for-prometheus-reveals-some-familiar-and-unfamiliar-aliens and news that Lance Henriksen will make an apperance: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/lance-henriksen-will-appear-in-prometheus-but-who-will-he-play

A few of us have asked how this can get any better? The inclusion of Lance just did that :D

On the score front, I see that you can get the score from Itunes, but physical copies are not available until June 12.

As far as trailers for the film go, Alen has alway been, for me at least, the best trailer ever put together. I like that they use some of the same music cues in Prometheus'. That said, I could never find who did the music for the Alien trialer, until today: Jonathan Elias.

Guest AdminGuyX

So, I've have not been avoiding spoilers for this, and as it turns out there are plenty to be had. The studio seems to not mind packing the trailers, and viral character videos with all kinds of spoilers. Heck, even the new poster is a spoiler. But, none of the spoilers I have seen have swayed my anticipation for this one. They have only made me want to see it more! How often does that happen?

So, it's not just me ;)

While the image is neat to look at, the new poster does nothing for me. I don't see why anyone would want to give that away, but I guess we have already seen it in the trailers. I prefer the posters with the giant face on it. It has a level of mystique to it, and in a way is a throwback to the Alien poster.

Scott has mentioned that both companies, as far as he is conserned, exist in the same universe, and the thought of having the Tyrell building show up, or Tyrell being mentioned as a competitor, is something they have been toying around with. Guess we'll find out next week.

Just wait until they have 3D contact lenses ;)

Glasses aside, at least this was shot in 3D. The conversions where a blow to the format. I get not everyone thinks it's great, but all the shitty 3D that has flooded out since Avatar (should have been Dark Country <_ been nothing but hindering people opinions of it. my wife is still trying to fingure out why i enjoy films the only one she has seen was alice in wonderland. such a dissapointment.>

Saw the film last week. Overall I really liked it, but the script lets it down. A lot of the characters are pretty thinly drawn (and there are too many of them) and plot holes abound. It plays around with some really interesting ideas about faith and science but it has trouble paying them off. The film looks amazing, and it has some awe inspiring visuals (I saw it in 2D). The best part of the film is the first half when they're exploring the planet. When the creatures start showing up it becomes a little familiar (not helped by the fact its not that scary)

There is one moment, that while not being anywhere near as iconic as the "chest buster" scene, i promise will have you squirming in your seat. Michael Fassbender is fantastic and easily walks away with the film. I don't recommend going into it expecting an Alien movie. Its trying to be its own thing (although the links are definitely there), so go in with an open mind. It's not a classic, but its a hell of a lot brainer than your average summer blockbuster.

I saw it last night. I've read a lot of reviews, and most are similar to Padre's where they liked it, but it was not a "classic" for them. I kind of dissagree. This film will be off-putting for some. I know that when I walked out of the theater, a lot of people where grumbling about how they did not get to see "the alien". This is not that film. In fact, the ship in this film is not even the ship from the first film.

I don't really want to get into the plot, because most of what you might know already is basically what it is. Anything after that, I'm going to ruin things for you. Fassbender does steal the show. His character is just great. There is a wicked slyness and innocence to him. You can't really seem to pin him down. And he's just so damn charming ;)

Rapace is great too. Like Padre said, the scene that is similar to the "chest burster" scene, she is amazing, her character's will to keep going to the end, she does a fantastic job of conveying that. Her interaction with Fassbender's "David" is really what made the film for me. The question there is kind of the same asked in Blade Runner. What makes us human and them not, and can they learn to become human.

There are a lot of questions asked in this film, and a lot of things explored. You get some answers, but there is a lot you do not get. I don't think it's so much poor writing as it is that's what they wanted to do. I had some amazing conversations about the ideas explored, and that's what I was hoping to get. It's that kind of film. I didn't need the answers, in fact, I think it would have been a bit dissapointing. It's like when David asked Holloway what he'd ask them if he had the chance, and he replies "Why they made us", and David asks why they made him. Holloway says "Because we can." and David replies "And how would you feel if they said the same?", to which Holloway says he'd be dissapointed. I think giving the audience an answer to that question would have been a bad call.

As for the other big question, why they want to kill us, I'm glad they left that unanswered too. Shaw needed the motivation to keep going, and that was it. She could have stopped at the end, but she needed to know.

There are a lot of flimsey supporting characters, but it was going to happen. The cast is a bit larger than "Alien", and even there some of the characters where lacking. Here a bit more so.

Creatures. That's what a lot of you want to know about, right? No "Alien": here, sorry. You do get the Engineers, or Space Jockey. I see a lot of folks dissapoined with the look. They wanted the "elephant" look, but I'm glad they didn't go that route. While it looked cool in the first film, seeing the dead Jockey, I've seen the "elephant" looking version in the comics, and it was awful. That doesn't mean it couldn't have worked on film, but I like that they dissmissed the "other stories" by going with this new look.

There is the snake thing we've seen in the trailers, they had a small part, and there is the squid thing that comes back diffrent, yet a bit familiar. I could not help thinking the adult version looked a bit like a Death Spider :D Then there is the "other" alien. I was not too keen on that. I see what they were trying to do, but it needed somthing more. Maybe somthing else to look forward to in the future.

This film will divide people for sure. Even if you have been told not to have expectaions from the other Alien films, it's going to be hard not to when they get to the "moon". If you have seen any of the art work Giger had done for the first Alien and Dune, a lot of the unused stuff shows up here. That aside, you will be dissapointed if you get that too lodged in your head. Same thing if you need to have answers. Not going to happen. I think in years to come, this will end up like Blade Runner, and gain more of an expecting audience (though Blade Runner did suffer a bad theatrical cut). It will deffinatly be a film you can watch again and again and pull new things.

On a side note, Madagascar 3 is predicted to win the box office by quite a bit. It's on about a 1000 more screens than Prometheus, but new updates are showing it's going to be pretty close. I hope this means they are going to give Ridely his sequel.

Pretty much what Padre said, except I found it much more disappointing. It's really kind of a half-baked script.

Especially the end shot, which makes it all seem like it was basically accidental, which of course doesn't mesh with the first Alien.

I read through that too. It's a good read. There are a few more floating out there, but this one has everything the others have covered.

One of the ideas I had kicking around is that if they created the black goo found in the urn on this particular planet, why not the eggs on another? In the film they mention that the planet is like a military instalation where they develope weapons. Just like us, there's no reason to stop with creating one weapon.

Like I said it really seemed that the Xenomorph was pretty much created by accident.

If you have to pull mental gymnastics to fill plot points thats, than that's clearly a sign of terrible writing. Also, any subtext in the film, is really half-assed. It's about as empty a film as any of the other Alien sequels.