Columbiana

Guest AdminGuyX

Guest AdminGuyX

I gotta' admit, I was really looking forward to this one. A Luc Besson production. A hot gun toting woman like Zoe Saldana as a bad ass hit woman. I'd also heard some rumors that this was derived from Natalie Portman refusing to do Matilda so they rejiggered the script around to be an original story. You can still kind of see it in the character though, there is sort of a hint of Matilda in there. There was a scene with her going to school for the first time that was oddly similar to the scene in Leon.

Sadly, the film suffers from a serious lack of character and story development. It has some bad editing, and no real villain to speak of that is compelling or interesting enough to engage you. I mean, she has characters she's after for killing her parents but they are just generic Latino gangsters, and in the case of the couple revenge killings we see, we have no idea who the characters are. Zoe Saldana is good in the film, she carries most of it. They had her doing some things that were, in a few cases, kind of silly. Like trying to kill a man with tooth brushes.

I would really have enjoyed the film if it was maybe 10 minutes longer, and those 10 minutes were dedicated to developing the gangsters as characters, and ratcheting up some tension for the final confrontation.

On the good side, there are a few entertaining action scenes, and there was some decent chemistry between Columbiana, her Uncle, and her grand mother. I could have used more of that as well. Her Uncle in particular was a lost opportunity for a very cool mentor, and they breezed right past what should have been his defining scene in the film. Could have been really great.

Anybody else see this?

Guest AdminGuyX

Sure thing. I think he's an underrated actor. I'd of liked to have seen him play the head FBI character in the film. The guy the cast in that role was in Jericho, and I don't think he's as strong an actor as Max Martini. But like I said, I think Columbiana was full of missed opportunities like that.