X-Men First Class

Mike

My kids took me to see the movie today (well I drove, but you know what I mean).

I really wasn't interested in the movie until fellow RAW friend Chris Frobose told me it was an unexpectedly well done movie. His word was enough for me to want to check it out and I was far from disappointed.

The movie is very well written with successful character development. The story takes on the heart of the "mutant wars" and allows the viewers to continuously insert themselves into situations and question what they would do personally, all while adding enough of the "required" exciting action. I walked away from the movie feeling more like I did after watching "Good Night and Good Luck," rather than Iron Man.

Mike

I was in the same boat. Not interested in seeing it, but something about going to see X-Men on a weekend just felt right.

I did think it suffered a bit having to tie into the continuity of the series at the end, I sort of felt like they rushed it. Which is kind of silly, since if you care about the continuity of the movies (I don't) then there are plenty of holes to get upset about.

Overall, I thought it was a solid flick. Without spoiling anything, what did you think of the two cameos?

I also was more or less, in the same boat....I knew I would eventually see it, but if I didn't catch it in theaters, I wouldn't have been upset. With all that being said, my girlfriend and I saw it and in my opinion, it was one of the better Marvel films and also probably one of the best X-Men films....X2 is my favorite comic film of all time and I think that First Class is pretty much the second best film in the franchise.

Great character development, great acting lead by Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy and I felt like Kevin Bacon was a great villain. There are some parts of the story in which I didn't like that I wont spoil for other members here...

I can look past how not all of the original X-Men were a part of the team for the sake of timeline aging, but other than that, I thought this was a great movie

I was in the same boat. Not interested in seeing it, but something about going to see X-Men on a weekend just felt right.

I did think it suffered a bit having to tie into the continuity of the series at the end, I sort of felt like they rushed it. Which is kind of silly, since if you care about the continuity of the movies (I don't) then there are plenty of holes to get upset about.

Overall, I thought it was a solid flick. Without spoiling anything, what did you think of the two cameos?

The first cameo was great! I had no idea about it. As for the film, I thought it was quite good. Looking back, the X-Men franchise is actually pretty mediocre but this one stands on its own. Not sure why people give a crap about the continuity, I mean they already bastardized the comics so just go with it and enjoy.

Anyone else a movie weirdo like me and catch that great supporting cast? Michael Ironside (Totall Recall), Matt Craven (Disturbia), Ray Wise (Robocop), James Remar (The Warriors) and Rade Serbedzija (Snatch) among others. Just cool to see so many familiar faces fill even the smallest roles. It made me long for Michael Biehn as the CIA director!

The first cameo was great! I had no idea about it. As for the film, I thought it was quite good. Looking back, the X-Men franchise is actually pretty mediocre but this one stands on its own. Not sure why people give a crap about the continuity, I mean they already bastardized the comics so just go with it and enjoy.

That's fanboys for you. But, continuity between films and the differences in the comics are different things.

That's fanboys for you. But, continuity between films and the differences in the comics are different things.

True but five movies made over 11 years is a bit to keep track of, especially considering FOX had no real belief in X-Men, they shut the production down for crying out loud!

Sure, X-Men states Magneto helped Charles build Cerebro but in First Class it's Beast who has built it and Magneto has only observed its working.

Do little errors like that make the films less enjoyable? Not really.

Anybody see Green Lantern? I was hoping for some flashy, mindless summer fun but it didn't even deliver on that front. Just a jumbled mess, Ryan Reynolds woefully miscast, dialogue falls flat. The filmmakers spent much time, effort and money on the thing but still made it into a somewhat pointless joke.

I have yet see the film, but I was under the impression that with the Wolverine movie and now First Class, they were going to toss out the other 3 and start from scratch (with Hugh Jackman being the only link). I could be wrong on this, but I thought I remember hearing that.

I too had no interest in this and was blown away by what a fun ride it was.

Screw continuity, give me a good story. My fave x flick yet. Fassbender was great.

True but five movies made over 11 years is a bit to keep track of, especially considering FOX had no real belief in X-Men, they shut the production down for crying out loud!

Sure, X-Men states Magneto helped Charles build Cerebro but in First Class it's Beast who has built it and Magneto has only observed its working.

Do little errors like that make the films less enjoyable? Not really.

Well, the Cerebro thing may not fall into the continuity issue. True in First Class Beast built a Cererbro but that was destroyed, in another movie perhaps Magneto joins forces with Xavier and helps him build a new Cererbro, the one that appears in the future films.