Hellraiser

johnpweber

Hellraiser1Ftb.jpg

As Tim posted in the Hot off the Boards sectoin, Clive is back with him most famous creation, Hellraiser. With all the things going on this year that are going to be Hellraiser related, I thought we better get a thread going to cover them all. The best part is how a few familar RAW names are attached to these projects.

The new comic coming out will feature Tim on covers. I see on facebook, he's got a few more on the way. Can't wait to see those. Tim, all I ask is that you get Chatterer on one of the covers. I love that guy.

There is a new film in the works, Todd Farmer (Alien Pig Farm 3000) has recived writing duties. Todd is keeping tight lipped on weather this is gonig to be a remake or a sequel.

Mike V. I know you've been waiting too, The Scarlet Gospels are on the way. This book is going to be the end-all for the Hellraiser universe as far as Clive is concerned. At least that's what he's been saying. The book will square off Harry D'Amour (Lord of Illusions fame) and Pinhead, as well as reveal the origin of the cenobites and the end of them. Yes, Clive plans on killing off Pinhead (which should also be noted, that's not his name, it's something that just stuck and Clive plans on finally giving him a proper name).

This book has been in the works since the early 90's but as of last Fall, it looks like it's about to be finised soon. Here's the latest update:

Mark Miller : "When Clive asked me if I would help finish The Scarlet Gospels, I said 'Yes' without hesitating. Clive paused and told me I should probably think about it and then get back to him. Then, without hesitation, I again said 'Yes.'

"Shortly after, Robb Humphreys handed me a stack of paper over 2,000 pages high and said, 'That's most of it.' It was then that I realized I should have hesitated. But despite its Herculean appearance, I've already completed a considerable chunk of the beast and am having a tremendous amount of fun in the process.

"Clive started the book no small number of years ago, and the fans have been waiting even longer than that, so I hope I can do it justice. Whether I will remains to be seen, but what I can tell you is the book is well on its way. The Scarlet Gospels are almost here."

It should also be noted that The Scarlet Gospels along with the new Hellraiser comic series at Boom Studios are the only new "Clive involved" Hellraiser materials set for release.

If you truly care that the brain behind Hellraiser is producing new work on the series then this is the stuff to get.

Aside from these new works and the original The Hellbound Heart plus the original film and screenplay, all subsequent Hellraiser works are derivative works BASED on Clive's world.

Clive sold off film rights long ago for the opportunity to write and direct the first film.

That said, you should enjoy your Hellraiser films, comics, and other media to your heart's content!

I didn't bring it up in order to lessen the efforts or the quality of any derivative material, only to inform (if you weren't already).

And to shine a light on this very rare dip back into the fires of Hellraiser on Clive's part.

We are pleased as pickles that our own lovely and talented Todd Farmer is rolling full steam ahead on the new HELLRAISER film.

I know I'll pay to see it ;) Can't wait to see what he's got cooking up!

Hope you check out the new comic series. Clive's got it revved up like a Cadillac Hearse!

Can't wait for you to read it. You won't believe what's comin'.

- TB

We are pleased as pickles that our own lovely and talented Todd Farmer is rolling full steam ahead on the new HELLRAISER film.

I know I'll pay to see it ;) Can't wait to see what he's got cooking up!

- TB

Well, going by his films with Patrick Lussier, I know we'll be seeing Tom Atkins and probably a Todd Farmer sex scene that ends with him being brutally murdered. Should be fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We interviewed Todd on Wednesday for the Moviefeature Podcast we talked quite a bit about "Hellraiser". The H talk starts at the 10 min. mark :)

http://moviefeature.podspot.de/files/interviewToddFarmer.mp3

Go Todd, GO!!

- tb

Todd and Patrick aside (I know they are going to do this some justice) does anyone even try to make the Hellraiser films watchable? Hellbound and Bloodlines (with it's flaws) are the only two sequels I can stand to watch. I have yet to see the last two they did and now there is a third I will make no attempt to see.

How can these things make enough money to justify another? If you're going to do it, do it right, or at least have better intentions than holding rights. Maybe a bit of "effort" would pay off. I'm willing to bet Todd will show them just that.

Although it’s far from a classic I thought Hellraiser: Deader was decent. A lot of that has to do with Kari Wuhrer’s performance, which goes above and beyond the call of duty. It even had a couple of decent scenes of suspense. But in the case of that movie it was an original script unrelated to the series that had some Hellraiser stuff shoehorned into it, and it shows.

The lack of respect shown to the series in last decade is amazing. Five films, all shot on a shoestring, all direct to video. The first 3 films are favourites of mine and as a fan it’s been pretty dispiriting to see how far it’s sunk. Hellworld was a complete piece of crap, and the latest one (a film that was made for the worst possible reasons) sounds even worse.

But between the new comic and the next film by Farmer and Lussier its looks like the only way is up. Hopefully anyway. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the first issue. THIS IS WHAT FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! Blew me away. Issues one is simple, does not try too hard, yet sets up a story for Pinhead that is going to be daring and original. I don't want to give anything away and I highly recomend picking this one up.

This is going to dove-tail into the Scarlet Gospels nicley.

• 1 year later...

Tim, are you still doing covers for Hellraiser? I see the new mini The Dark Watch is coming out soon, but you are only listed for the first two issues. Just wondering if you are taking a break with the movie coming up? I'd really hate to see you go, the other covers pale in comparison (I can only think of 3 of the others I like. You're blows them out of the water).