the film ran 2hrs 11 minutes at Sundance. i think mark took out about 14 minutes, as well as cutting some scenes and adding others, mostly in the second half. i'm chuffed at all the reaction to the film, good and bad. it's exactly what we set out to do. congrats Mark!

i wanted to be at the q&a at the LA Film School - that woulda been fun. But fatherhood calls and i had to put my little squirrel to bed.

great dinner last night.

the Street and I got to spend some quality time running out to Malibu and back together. Frank was in a rare mood. the food was extraordinary. so was the company. ;)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an awesome night last night.

Thanks for clarifying the running time, TJ.

Tommy continues to surprise and amaze me as he laid a new project on me yesterday afternoon, non comics, non film related, but that's all I feel comfortable saying at this point in time . . .

BUT - Tom's close to sharing with us all and you will be amazed as much as I was.

- TB

Took a day or two to digest this flick. I'm with Jweber though, the film really sticks with you after veiwing which, IMO, is a real statement to it's quality. To be moved by a film, I mean moved, not just driving fast when you leave the cineplex, I mean moved to the point where your calling people to talk about this movie, THAT is in and of itself an amazing and rare thing nowadays.

I went to a friends house and gave him a quick, spoiler free idea of the concept, over a six pack and a bowl, and he was very impressed by not just the concept (4 long time friends getting together yearly and stirring up the young lions buried deep within.) but by how important it was to me that he check it out.

Visually I was just transported. Every scene was not only beautifully captured but enhanced by the camerawork and settings. Maybe, visually, the best looking and shot film I've ever seen. You could almost turn off the dialogue and with just the visual and the music, easily "feel" your way through the film.

It's not an easy film to sit through. It pokes at a very sensitive nerve buried deep inside somewhere and the feeling lingers afterward without a doubt.

The music was awesome. Havent heard some of those songs in years and it fit the whole project perfectly. I'd have loved to hear an old Cult song in there somewhere though.

Rob Lowe. First off, as men, How can you like a guy who looks like that? So good looking he can't be a real person right? (I mean this tongue in cheek. No disrespect intended whatsoever.) I've seen him in things before and never been pulled one way or the other. I never thought he was bad but never felt like I had to catch him in the next thing either. He was perfect in this flick and it cemented it for me, that this guy has more going on than just being my sister's lifelong crush. And the chemistry between TJ and him was thick I thought. There were times I was hoping they would go out and rob a bank or something. I'd love to see them do something else together.

Jeremy Piven, same thing, never liked or disliked, but Bam! Great in this movie. I have a friend like his character in the film and he was him. All the way. I knew that guy. I was, again, buried by the talent given into this film by everyone involved. The casting was spot on perfect.

and lastly, whats up with Carla Gugino? Does she look bad in anything? That woman could be wearing a radiation suit and still knock me out with her outstanding talent and staggering beauty.

I am telling people if they have any balls whatsoever they need to see this film.

Link to Review of I Melt With You:

"...strong acting from co-leads Thomas Jane, Rob Lowe, Christian McKay, and Jeremy Piven. They feel like long time friends and their easy chemistry and dedication to the material... see things through to the end."

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2011/12/06/film-review-i-melt-with-you-12/#more-6945

Jen

Link to interesting review of I Melt With You:

...with possible spoiler aspects...:

"Pellington's film is a thriller executed like a tragedy. There is no sense of

suspense, only doom, for the four 40-somthings as they begin to understand how

they ended up where they are in their lives. "I Melt With You" is an anthem for

the Sex Pistol generation, too old for the antics, but still steeped in sex,

drugs and rock and roll."

Much more at:

http://www.jspace.com/news/articles/chemical-bromance-review-of-i-melt-with-you-\

video-/6438

Jen

Here's the link to a very interesting interview with Tom (in text format), the "deep thinker" - seriously - I don't think many actors would make such

astute comments about the state of men and humanity in an interview:

http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/articles/2011-12-i-melt-with-you-co-star-thomas\

-jane-on-whats-wrong-with-the-american-man

Jen

I just posted my impressions of I Melt With You at my Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group. There are plot spoilers in it, to some extent, so I didn't want to add the whole she-bang here, in case there are peeps who haven't seen it and fall upon my words...but I'll add a few thoughts that aren't spoiler-ish:

Tom, Rob, Jeremy, and Christian have a solid camaraderie going that grounds the movie and makes it feel real. Without that believability, the viewer wouldn't be invested in these characters.

So, after a night of drug-fueled debauchery, the guys wake up bleary-eyed, yet somehow they all still look fine `n' fit especially Tom. I know he (and his character) feel that society says you're washed up by 40, but that's a big fat lie!

There's this scene where the 4 friends roll down a sand dune at full force (which was featured in one of the movie's trailers), and I'm thinking, "That must hurt!" Seriously, I'm surprised no one got injured during this movie. Maybe they did…?

Oh, great cinematography! Powerful imagery, especially during the wild partying scenes that turn into nightmare benders. Are these guys having fun and being carefree, or they expressing their angst and pain? I think we know what the answer is…On a lighter side note, what a glorious beach house!!

Oh, I also missed the last crucial few minutes of the movie!! I was shouting at my TV when that happened! So if someone could drop me a message here (or at my email) and tell me what happens, that would be awesome. LOL

Jen

• 3 weeks later...

Living IN Cinema's Jackson Truax rates I MELT WITH YOU as one of the years 10 Best Films!

Check it out here - http://livingincinem...-top-10-plus-5/

Melt has (in my opinion) received some horribly unfair, lame-ass reviews as one of the worst of the year.

Refreshing to see that there ARE some folks out there that GET IT.

Just kind of proves the point that audiences are polarized with this film and either love it or hate it.

Either way, you gotta like the passion it inspires ;)

Big thanks to Brian McQuery for the tip -

- TB

Thought I'd also add that the Q&A from the Jeff Goldsmith screening is now available for download.

This Q&A features an in-depth discussion with Director Mark Pellington and screenwriter Glenn Porter.

Grab it here - http://www.theqandapodcast.com/2011/12/i-melt-with-you-q.html

This is very informative and well worth a listen!

Cheers - Tim

Thought you folks might enjoy seeing this shot of TJ from I Melt With You. I grabbed this from some of the photo assets sent to me, RE: the posters.

I think it's pretty damn awesome. Not sure how high up this is, but if Tom pokes his head back in here perhaps he can tell us ;)

Not sure who the photographer was. I'll find out who was shooting stills on set. May have been Rob Cowan.

Dig

MeltJaneTightrope.jpg

- TB

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to pre-order the Blue-Ray: http://www.amazon.com/Melt-You-Blu-ray-Rob-Lowe/dp/B006A9XTXK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327031898&sr=8-4

I see they went with a diffrent version of the "not Tim's" one-sheet. I find it a bit funny because as raw and hard as the film is, the actors are all polished up and air-brushed.

Here is a link to pre-order the Blue-Ray: http://www.amazon.co...27031898&sr=8-4

I see they went with a diffrent version of the "not Tim's" one-sheet. I find it a bit funny because as raw and hard as the film is, the actors are all polished up and air-brushed.

Looks fine, not great. At least we don't have another Malone cover.

Now the Rum Diary cover: http://www.amazon.com/Rum-Diary-Blu-ray-Aaron-Eckhart/dp/B006ISJQBM/ref=pd_sim_mov_1 Yikes.

• 1 month later...

Living IN Cinema's Jackson Truax rates I MELT WITH YOU as one of the years 10 Best Films!

Check it out here - http://livingincinem...-top-10-plus-5/

Melt has (in my opinion) received some horribly unfair, lame-ass reviews as one of the worst of the year.

Refreshing to see that there ARE some folks out there that GET IT.

Just kind of proves the point that audiences are polarized with this film and either love it or hate it.

Either way, you gotta like the passion it inspires ;)

Big thanks to Brian McQuery for the tip -

- TB

This movie resonated deeply with me.

My theory on why some critics may not like it is that you have to have experienced some of the pain the characters have gone through in order to relate to it. Anyone who felt like they were lying to a loved one, who never got over the death of a family member, who resigned himself to the belief that life will never be as limitless, as vivid, or as meaningful as it seemed, or who questions if there even is a point to being alive... that is who can appreciate this film.

Additionally, it's hard for most of us to look at the parts of us we try so hard to hide from others, hoping desperately that we can stomp them out with enough positive thinking or minimally kill them with drugs. If it's too much of a burden to face that side of yourself, a movie like this will be an instant turn-off because it forces you to confront those ubiquitous fears that we are aging, dying, and our lives are not what we wanted them to be when we were young. Simply, if you are running from your dark side, you'll run from this film.

While the overt message is that "life is shit after 40", people might miss the more covert themes of love, friendship, and indoctrination. The take-away here is that, if you buy into what people might call mainstream American values (success=youth, money, fame) and don't focus on your individual goals (being a great divorced father, always being there for a friend, turning one's life around, doing what you love, etc.), then you have become a zombie who will never eat enough flesh to be satisfied, shambling through the world until your misery is brought to an end.

Looks fine, not great. At least we don't have another Malone cover.

Now the Rum Diary cover: http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_sim_mov_1 Yikes.

The Rum Diary cover is awful. Just terrible. Not only does it look bad, but it does nothing to capture the film.

By the way, I Melt With You is out today. I just ordered my copy.

I dont think life is shit after 40. It's the same slog it's always been. But the feelings the film explores and and the way they show it, the portrayals are what really moved me. The madness we can find ourselves in from time to time.

I Melt With You is Pick of the Week for DVDs at Film School Rejects.

"...the lasting effect is a powerful one as the men face the lives and mistakes they've made..."

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/this-week-in-dvd-february-28th-2012-i-melt-with-you-mandrill-myth-american-sleepover-rhunt.php

Jen

Edge on the Net says ""I Melt with You" should be seen at all costs."

"..."I Melt with You" is a tour-de-force not to be missed. It features some of the finest acting from Thomas Jane and Rob Lowe..."

http://www.edgeonthenet.com/entertainment/movies/reviews/dvd/130085/i_melt_with_you

Jen

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.