How about someone like Leonardo Manco?

Hey, that's not a bad idea ;)

And I know it sucks but let's not be too hard on Greg Staples - He got in over his head. Loved what we were asking him to do but at the end of 22 pages he had to re-access the situation.

For him it was - work at something he loved and enjoyed waking up to every morning, but starving his family in the process . . . And I'm sure there were other issues at stake.

Doing six issues in the labor intensive style he set the bar for was simply going to be too much for him at the time . . .

It is a shame that couldn't have been realized before he was an issue in, to be sure . . . but none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes.

It definitely HURT us, and definitely impacted the release of this book. BUT, we haven't solicited yet so at least it won't cost us potential readers.

The GOOD NEWS is, Staples has not left us all the way . . . He came back to us with a feeling of work left undone and committed to doing a second issue.

So the way we have it planned now is that there will be 2 other artists, each artist taking 2 issues, and I kinda like that idea.

Yes, Staples is BACK, and here's proof!

BP2_page7sml.jpg

That's page 7 from Staples' second issue. Hit the main RAW website for the news.

BAD PLANET Vol. II has definitely been slid to the back-burner for now while we track down and hire the other two artists in question.

For the time being, all of our focus is on releasing the Dark Country GN, and moving forward with The Lycan, our period Werewolf thriller.

Those are both moving ahead wonderfully, and soon, very soon, our focus will be back on the BAD PLANET.

Stay tuned.

- TB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AdminGuyX

Yes, I know that. :)

This looks different to me though. The tentacles are not wrapped around his neck, his eyes look different. I'm curious if it's just a different interpretation of the concept, or if we might have something else taking place.

Collaborating with different artists throughout the series is an excellent approach. That way, they won’t feel overwhelmed with the work. Will there will be different interpretations of the looks of the characters/backgrounds or will the artists maintain a consistency?

We have to wait longer? I guess that means you’ll be providing us with little sneak peeks to quench our thirsts. ;)

The page you shared by Greg Staples is crazy good. I’m looking forward to seeing more.

• 2 months later...

Here's the latest -

Greg Staples is nearly finished with the second issue of Volume 2.

We're down to the wire but if he completes the art in time we'll have a limited black and white edition ready for release at Comicon.

We'll only print about 500 of the 48 page double-sized issue which comprise Bad Planet Volume II - Part 1.

Either way, we'll be debuting Bad Planet Volume II - Part 1 in full color (by Pete Doherty and Grant Goleash) in digital format exclusively through Comixology in June.

The full color printed version will hit retail shops in September or October (depending upon when we can get solicitation into Diamond).

Then there will be a lag while Tom and I are shooting his western film and signing up our other two artists. Parts 2 and 3 will be on the release slate for 2013.

But stay tuned as The Lycan should be debuting at the end of 2012! Written by Mike Carey with art by Sean O'Connnor!

See the new thread here.

More updates as we get 'em.

- TB

Hey, that's not a bad idea ;)

And I know it sucks but let's not be too hard on Greg Staples - He got in over his head. Loved what we were asking him to do but at the end of 22 pages he had to re-access the situation.

For him it was - work at something he loved and enjoyed waking up to every morning, but starving his family in the process . . . And I'm sure there were other issues at stake.

Doing six issues in the labor intensive style he set the bar for was simply going to be too much for him at the time . . .

It is a shame that couldn't have been realized before he was an issue in, to be sure . . . but none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes.

It definitely HURT us, and definitely impacted the release of this book. BUT, we haven't solicited yet so at least it won't cost us potential readers.

The GOOD NEWS is, Staples has not left us all the way . . . He came back to us with a feeling of work left undone and committed to doing a second issue.

So the way we have it planned now is that there will be 2 other artists, each artist taking 2 issues, and I kinda like that idea.

Yes, Staples is BACK, and here's proof!

BP2_page7sml.jpg

That's page 7 from Staples' second issue. Hit the main RAW website for the news.

BAD PLANET Vol. II has definitely been slid to the back-burner for now while we track down and hire the other two artists in question.

For the time being, all of our focus is on releasing the Dark Country GN, and moving forward with The Lycan, our period Werewolf thriller.

Those are both moving ahead wonderfully, and soon, very soon, our focus will be back on the BAD PLANET.

Stay tuned.

- TB

He is one heck of an artist nothing against you your good to. :)

Looking forward to checking it out. Did you line up the other artists for the last 4 issues?

Shattered Hand is filming this year, Dark Country GN plus The Lycan? Nice. You guys where not kidding when you said it was going to be a busy year for RAW.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some new news -

BPV2 special Black and white San Diego Comicon Edition just went to press.

There will be a very limited print run of this special edition.

If you won't be at comicon we'll have them available through the store in August.

Here's a quick gander at the cover of the Black and white edition -

BPV2coverSDCC2012R1.jpg

Artwork by Greg Staples - Cover design by TB

Greg was right up to the wall of the deadline getting the this book to printer so there was no opportunity for him to create new original cover art for this edition.

Still, his art just packs a whallop and it was a fun one for me to design.

The full color version of V2 Part 1 will feature a brand spanking new Staples cover.

That version will be available in (print) October through Diamond and (Digital) in June through Comixology.

I'll be posting some more art here over the coming weeks.

For now we're really looking forward to Comicon. Greg Staples himself will be at our booth signing copies of this Special Black and White Edition along with Tom and myself.

The CHERRY will be the release of Dark Country GN in HARDCOVER.

SDCC will be the place to be.

- TB

You can still get 'em from RAW store in August or if you can't wait, ask Mike Hess if he'll mail you a copy.

We both know how on the ball I am about that ;)

Stripped down the logo a tad for Volume II. I think it looks real nice too ;)

- TB

HUGE thanks to Tim, Marshall and Kristyn for helping us get this book to the dance on time!! very proud to be sporting this new chapter of BAD PLANET at SDCC this year... it was touch and go for a minute there, but looks like we'll have the book back in time from Trivision.. whew!

Here's some new news -

If you won't be at comicon we'll have them available through the store in August.

BPV2coverSDCC2012R1.jpg

Greg was right up to the wall of the deadline getting the this book to printer so there was no opportunity for him to create new original cover art for this edition.

The full color version of V2 Part 1 will feature a brand spanking new Staples cover.

That version will be available in (print) October through Diamond and (Digital) in June through Comixology.

For now we're really looking forward to Comicon. Greg Staples himself will be at our booth signing copies of this Special Black and White Edition along with Tom and myself.

- TB

That looks totally excellent you guys are exceptional.

Nice! Way cool to see your stylistic flair applied to a completely different style. I can tell you had a blast designing it just by looking. Big thumbs up on this one!

Are you planning on keeping the release in two parts, or will there be a "complete" edition down the line?

there will be a complete GN down the road a ways. the challenge with this series is keeping up the grade A art. we've got most of the scripts written. i'm still working on the last two, but the story's all there. finding an artist to follow Greg Staples - thats a challenge.

but we've done it before - we'll do it again!

i'm excited about the Comixology releases on May 23rd.

there will be a complete GN down the road a ways. the challenge with this series is keeping up the grade A art. we've got most of the scripts written. i'm still working on the last two, but the story's all there. finding an artist to follow Greg Staples - thats a challenge.

but we've done it before - we'll do it again!

i'm excited about the Comixology releases on May 23rd.

That does sound exciting. But like I said before you guys are exceptional. I have a quick question for ya. Do you guys ever come to Ohio. You probably don't but just thought I would ask.

Here's some new news -

BPV2coverSDCC2012R1.jpg

- TB

Thanks for sharing, Tim! :D

The Bad Planet Vol. 2 cover looks stunning! I forgot you guys were doing 3 parts for this volume. I'm curious. Is the job easier when you’re focusing on working on smaller parts over a period of time or does the job become more difficult since you want the individual sections to be that more perfect (hope this question makes sense)?

• 2 weeks later...

- TB

Isn't SDCC ALWAYS the place to be?

I'm curious. Is the job easier when you’re focusing on working on smaller parts over a period of time or does the job become more difficult since you want the individual sections to be that more perfect (hope this question makes sense)?

it's always hard. whether you're doing the whole thing at one go, or breaking it down into 2, 3 or 6 parts, it still comes down to page by page, panel by panel storytelling. this book will be challenging just finding two more artists that can sing in harmony together.

One of the things I love about the RAW books is that you and Tim are unwilling to settle for anything less that what you want, even if that means putting a project on hold for a substantal amount of time. Most people would cave, get the first guy to say "yes", and put the book out. You have a standard, and you stick to it.

It has been mentioned on the boards that you have lost a few artists to better paying gigs. I'm not clear on all the regulations, but would Kickstarter be something to use to try and get the artists more of an incentive to stay?

It has been mentioned on the boards that you have lost a few artists to better paying gigs. I'm not clear on all the regulations, but would Kickstarter be something to use to try and get the artists more of an incentive to stay?

stay tuned. more on this kickstarter thing soon..

it's always hard. whether you're doing the whole thing at one go, or breaking it down into 2, 3 or 6 parts, it still comes down to page by page, panel by panel storytelling. this book will be challenging just finding two more artists that can sing in harmony together.

Thanks for A-ing my Q, Tom! :D

I understand how putting it all together or in parts can be a demanding job. Patience is key. The art created by RAW always looks exceptional.

Best of luck in successfully finding your other talented artists & keeping ’em!

A lot of people are using Kickstarter these days. I’m amazed by how many professionals who have worked in Show Biz are pursuing their passion projects with the help of crowdfunding. It’s definitely interesting & worth considering.