The First Avenger: Captain America

relias33

Yeah, I don't think it was an instant classic by any stretch of the imagination, but as Marvel films go, at least it spent it's time well in character development to a descent degree.

Loved when Neal McDonough showed up as 'ol Dum Dum, though it begged the question . . . Where is Sgt. Rock? Jane would make a great ROCK.

The measuring stick for a great adventure film has got to be Raiders. Nothing has come close since, with possible exception of the LotR trilogy, though that's a bit of a bird of a different feather.

For a popcorn flick I thought they did pretty well.

I liked X-Men First Class too, though I thought they made a gaff with the non-brit accent on Magneto.

Fassbender was terrific though, as was McAvoy and Bacon.

The thing is, these days it seems the hits are still reaching for a greatness they seem unable to attain.

Outside of a few near exceptions. But those exceptions are not among the Superhero films, with possible exception of Nolan's Batman films.

Only my opinion.

Best film based on a comic for me is still Road To Perdition.

- tb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I don't think it was an instant classic by any stretch of the imagination, but as Marvel films go, at least it spent it's time well in character development to a descent degree.

Loved when Neal McDonough showed up as 'ol Dum Dum, though it begged the question . . . Where is Sgt. Rock? Jane would make a great ROCK.

Sgt. Rock is DC, Joel Silver is producing, that is if the movie ever happens....

For a popcorn flick I thought they did pretty well.

I liked X-Men First Class too, though I thought they made a gaff with the non-brit accent on Magneto.

Fassbender was terrific though, as was McAvoy and Bacon.

- tb

I'm not too bothered by that, it makes some sense that he would have a bit of German accent. I like to think the older Magneto got the more regal he made accent.

Oh, right, duh. Classic blunder (actually, I'll call out triple DUH on myself)

And we all know where Fury is then . . .

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of 63 yr old Samuel Jackson storming around Europe with his Howling Commandos.

Just one of the reasons I despised that casting even though I LOVE Sam Jackson.

The accent is what it is. Just rather spoils continuity a bit methinks.

But Marvel movie franchises were never much for continuity.

I guess the biggest issue I have with all that is that the Avengers, X-Men, Captain America, etc etc . . . are all way far away now from where they were when I was a regular reader in the 70's and 80's.

Where were the big budget Hollywood movies based on beloved characters back then? Oh yeah. Comics were just for kids then ;)

Yeah, I missed my Marvel Movies by a few decades.

Such is life.

Oh, that I was as into it now as I was then ;)

Still fun when they do it right :)

- TB

My son and I really enjoyed it. He couldn't believe people would go the movies to watch the news! I gotta admit I like Evans but I had my doubts about him as Cap. By the end of the film I forgot it was him. He was just Cap. I had a blast.

Thor was OK. Seemed a little rushed. Nice looking though.

I think that Black Dude in the Howlers may have been Fury. I don't know why and I could be wrong. It could have been Gabe but it seemed like they gave him a little special attention. Just a thought.

I thought First Class was really good. Just a shitload of fun.

Jane as Rock. Christ. Just like to see Jane on the big screen again kicking ass.

If I had one gripe about Captain America, it's that the Red Skull never seemed like a true threat. He never really had Cap on the ropes per say.

That said, I really did enjoy it, even though I found the beginning way more interesting than the rest of it.

The accent is what it is. Just rather spoils continuity a bit methinks.

But Marvel movie franchises were never much for continuity.

With the X-Men movies, Magneto's accent is the least of the continuity issues. Though I gotta say one that really initially bugged me was Danny Huston in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, he didn't even try to attempt a southern accent, but that whole movie is a cluster fuck anyway.