Bad Planet Vol. I COLOR Trade Edition

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is, I wasn't sure if we were doing it or not but if you asked Tom, he'd say that was always the plan ;)

This was confirmed to me a little while back but I was saving the confirmation for a bit of a surprise ;)

No reason to hide it any further if we were truly to unveil the final cover art!

Ray Zone reformatted the 3D to work with our larger reproduction here and TJ says it's actually even MORE impressive at this size than at standard comic dimensions.

With this kind of 3D, the bigger the better.

YeeeeHAAAAWWWWW!

- TB

HAH!

Luckily I spotted the typo on Newsarama.

And I thought you guys were watching my back!

;)

Seriously though, just by the skin of our teeth.

Had it gone to print that way it would have been EM-barrassing!

TJ just looked at a proof today and word is that it's spectacular!

- TB

HAH!

Luckily I spotted the typo on Newsarama.

And I thought you guys were watching my back!

;)

Seriously though, just by the skin of our teeth.

Had it gone to print that way it would have been EM-barrassing!

TJ just looked at a proof today and word is that it's spectacular!

- TB

I still don't know where the typo is, then again, englash aint me best wurd thang.

Not sure if this has been stated, but are we looking at a hardback or softcover? I'm absolutely cool with both.

In the jpeg I posted I neglected to add the "S" in NEWSARAMA ;)

The full color version is SOFTCOVER only.

If it has a decent showing and our printing costs get in the black soon after release then we may do a limited hardcover.

The oversized Black and White Edition was our "Hardcover" trade offering, but if sales warrant, then you can bet we'll give the fans a hardcover option with the full color edition.

Cheers - Tim

Already got my spot in the den all set for this, can't wait...any chance of getting some limited editions with a sketch added?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers to you, space, and WELCOME to the boards!

Tom got some advance copies of the new full color trade and he's stupid-giddy with the results.

Gonna be a great book.

- TB

Bad Planet Vol I Color Edition News with pic of Tom and Tim; order your copy today:

"We created two versions of Bad Planet: a special edition Black and White hardcover for art fans, and a brand new gorgeous color version complete with it's own 3-D section by master 3-D icon Ray Zone."

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/public/d...82&ai=96188

Jen

Bad Planet Vol I Color Edition News with pic of Tom and Tim; order your copy today:

"We created two versions of Bad Planet: a special edition Black and White hardcover for art fans, and a brand new gorgeous color version complete with it's own 3-D section by master 3-D icon Ray Zone."

http://previews.diamondcomics.com/public/d...82&ai=96188

Jen

A bad planet movie would be cool. Just don't give the convict fat rubbery fingers, fat rubbery fingers always make the movie flop.

Picked up the latest copy of Previews and saw the pic of the Raw Studios founding fathers, so I had to pick it up. It's good to see the collection together and on its way, I think that the story, presented in this manner, is the best way to showcase this type of work.

From what I've seen: I love the design of the book, Tim. Although I have to admit. I would have LOVED to see the front and back cover art inverted. As much as I like Gogos art, your portrayal of the protagonist is just...beyond epic; that art should be a poster.

Last point, at $19.95 the product is an incredible value (especially considering you and Tom have opted to include the 3-D component).

Cheers!!!

Here's an awesome review of Bad Planet at JoBlo.com:

"the color version... is just as impeccable. Everything looks amazing, each segment (done by different artists) retains their diverse feel, and having it in color definitely amps up its visual impressiveness. And yes... the 3D section is pretty darn cool."

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=22680

Jen

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up my copy today and the quality is... amazing; the book is just beautiful. The first surprise was the size (8.5x11 inches and deserving every last on of 'em). The quality of the paper is second to none; the ink saturation is perfect and the colour really pops without being garish or "resting" on top of the paper stock.

I would have loved to have seen the art bled or the book cut narrower-- but I understand that it would mean extensive retouching on certain pages or the added cost of the additional cut etc., so I'll get over it. :-)

Considering that the book is only $19.95 and all the extra goodies you get (scripts, promo art, sketch gallery, pinups, 3-D glasses etc.), I fully expect this book to sell briskly. I would consider it a solid value at $25.95 or $29.95.

This is really the best presentation for this type of story, where you have the whole work (or first volume) collected in this manner... the material is very accessible.

My hats of to Grant Goleash as well, Grant's work really establishes a mood that (I think) embodies the tone of the concept perfectly. An artist in his own right; it's an honor to have him.

Dave Kendall's work look REALLY good, the increased size does him justice.

Okay, I'm done!

Is this going to be available through the RAW Store?

That's a good question kwiat_skye....they haven't added anything new to the store in a while....it's about time they brought some new stuff. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copy the other week -- deadline's been crazy on drawing my current comics assignments, so I didn't get to even look at it until this past weekend while flattened by what may be a pending root canal and the attendant pain meds. A few dozen pages in I started to wonder if I was hallucinating or if the printing was out of register in some strange way. Tried reading a bit more, then decided I'd check with my retailer for a better copy after I recovered a bit. As I put the book aside the 3-D glasses card fell out. . . .

Yeah. . . .

So I assembled the glasses and enjoyed away. I got a pretty large head, so I ordered a plastic set of 3-D glasses off of eBay for rereading the book later.

I know I wasn't able to get all the issues when this first came out, but I still don't recall any 3-D. Must be early onset senility.

Great job on the production and design. Told my store to order a few more copies so I can give 'em as gifts later.

~R

RIGHT ON!

I have to tell ya's that the last minute switch in dimensions kinda threw things into a spin, it took the book out of my hands in terms of control.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy about the size, it's just that by then it was too late for me to look at the book laid out in those dimensions.

Basically that means that I had no look at how the art would look on the page.

The ONE thing that disappoints me with the package is that the tops and bottoms of the art run right up to the crop while there is a nice breathing room on the sides.

Ultimately there is no such thing as a perfect world and I gotta be realistic about that sometimes ;)

Next time I'll be watchdogging until the end of the process.

All in all, take that little thing out of the mix and I think we have a TREMENDOUS book!

It feels nice in your hand, the cover is blowout cool, the extra 40 pages of bonus are like gold, and the paper, printing, 3D, etc. . are tip fucking top.

Now that book needs an Eisner NOM.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the collection!

xo- tb

I still haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of this. (I should have thought to ask my friend to pick up a copy for me at the Con, but it slipped my mind.) And my local store sold out immediately. When is this going to be available through the RAW store?

SOON!

But YOU have one coming GRATIS.

The least we owe you for the SDCC mistake.

I'll have my comps tonight so if any of you want to get one signed by me and Daly then contact me.

I may also have a few with some other signatures already in place.

I'll update later tonight.

- TB

SOON!

But YOU have one coming GRATIS.

The least we owe you for the SDCC mistake.

I'll have my comps tonight so if any of you want to get one signed by me and Daly then contact me.

I may also have a few with some other signatures already in place.

I'll update later tonight.

- TB

I'd love one of those signed copies. I'll PM you.

Theconvict.jpg

Was working away and found a drawing I did while on pain killers over the weekend. Forgot about it until it fell out of the work I tried to do while doped-up.

Obviously inspired by having my hands on the trade collection.

Hope you don't mind my sharing it here.

~R