Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Rosella

I'm very excited about this movie. At first I only wanted to see it after I found out that Charlie Sheen would return (even if the part is small). Now, I want to see it cause it really does look good. I got hooked by watching the trailer.

This movie makes my must-see list. Michael Douglas, Josh Brolin, and Frank Langella. That's a great combination. I even think Shia LaBeouf will be excellent in it.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the international trailer, as well. It does introduce more of the plot. I havn't seen Martin Sheen in the trailer, yet. I know Charlie Sheen doesn't have a big part, and I'm starting to think that maybe Martin is a cameo, too.

I am so excited about this movie.

I've read a lot of peoples comments on other sites about how the new trailer is pretty much the entire film in two minutes and now they saved $10 because they don't have to see the film. I rolled my eyes. If this was some director/writer for hire, yeah, I'd go with it. But this is Oliver Stone. The guy does not work on the surface, he knows how to dig deep and what you see is not exactly what you get. Even films people hated (Alexander) I've still found facinating on several levels.

I've read a lot of peoples comments on other sites about how the new trailer is pretty much the entire film in two minutes and now they saved $10 because they don't have to see the film. I rolled my eyes. If this was some director/writer for hire, yeah, I'd go with it. But this is Oliver Stone. The guy does not work on the surface, he knows how to dig deep and what you see is not exactly what you get. Even films people hated (Alexander) I've still found facinating on several levels.

This is why I never listen to people about movies. It hasn't even gone to theaters, and these people are already slamming it. If they don't want to see it, good for them. That's their choices. I didn't get to see the first Wall Street in theaters. I wasn't even born, yet. That's why I'm really excited about actually going to the theaters to see this one.

The entire film in two minutes? I seriously doubt that. I could name some movies that have shown most of the movie in its trailer, but I still go to see it. Especially, if it's a movie I've been anticipating. I go see it, and guess what. The movie is longer than two minutes, and has surprises I didn't expect. Can you believe it?

As for Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, I havn't seen the Sheen cameos. And I don't think two minutes of Gordon Gekko is satisfying enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm not to happy about this. I just found out that the release date has been delayed. Fox moved it from April 23rd to September 24th. September!!!

I thought waiting until April was tough enough.

Here's the article:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/03/10/fox...ntil-september/

This is the movie I've been anticipating the most this year, and now I have to wait even longer.

I was surprised to see that it was going to be relased in April. I deffinatly thought this would be more of a Fall film. I guess the switch didn't shock me other than I was counting the weeks to seeing this. At least it wasn't pushed back because of the quality.

• 6 months later...

After waiting for so long, I can finally say I got to see Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps last week. Going into the movie, I didn’t know too many plot details. I knew that Shia LaBeouf’s Jake Moore would be marrying Gordon Gekko’s daughter; we find that tidbit out in the trailer. We also see Gordon Gekko as a free man. Not happy, but free nevertheless. But there is so much more to the story. In fact, a lot more.

Now, I’m a big fan of complex movies. I like to see a lot of story. Lots of surprises. Lots of characters. Lots of moments. Just when you think the main conflict has been resolved, a new one pops up. I love when that happens.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps isn’t better than the original; it’s just a more updated version. While both movies have their moments, I have to stick with the first being my favorite between the two. You can never mess with a classic. However, it is still worth checking out.

SPOILER ALERT!!!-WARNING-IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THIS BUT PLAN TO STOP READING NOW!!!

I love how the film opens. The dialogue between the characters is really good. But it does help to know a little about the stock market in order to catch up.

Jake Moore is no Bud Fox. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t a likeable character. He has ambition at such a young age, and I really stayed on his side, cheering him on every step of the way. Seeing Jake cry and get upset so many times was kind of endearing; it proved he is human. Plus, Shia can finally say he’s done some real acting for a change. :P

Josh Brolin‘s Bretton James. What a villain! This guy is so good at being bad. I really didn’t like the kind of stuff he did, but I did really like this character. He is a perfect match for Gordon Gekko. I loved how he would stare people down, then change it to a smile. Brett wanted Jake, but good Jake knew better than to fall for his act.

Frank Langella’s Louis Zabel was a very good man. I had a feeling that he was going to kill himself when I saw that he picked up a newspaper and a bag of potato chips--his last meal. I was sad to see him go, but knew it had to happen. Why else would Jake need a new father figure in his life? But for the brief screen time we do see Langella, we get to see a strong performance. Especially, when he would yell across the table.

Michael Douglas’ Gordon Gekko. Without him, this movie wouldn’t be a sequel; it would exist as just another film about stock brokers. It seemed like forever from the time he’s leaving prison to when we get to see him in person, again. Whenever Gordon wasn’t in the scene, I was always waiting for him. This time around he isn’t delivering his normal “Greed is good” speech to a room full of shareholders; he’s talking about the way the world is to a room full of students. The students look up to him as the man to get behind. But eventually it’s revealed that he is still the same guy he’s always been. One of my most favorite moments is the reveal that prison hasn’t changed Gordon Gekko. He’s still greedy. Jake fell for the act; I fell for the act. I have to admit, it’s so exciting to see Gordon transform from shaggy haired-man to his regular slicked-back hair self. That look is one of importance.

Then there is the scene I looked forward to for so long; brief but sweet. The Gordon Gekko/Bud Fox reunion. It appears as though Fox made a good life for himself. He’s got the money and the women. Gekko couldn’t completely corrupt him. But since it wasn’t Fox who put Gordon away for so long, the tension isn’t there between the old mentor/protégé team. (I wanted to see Gekko get punched by Fox)

And even Oliver Stone gave himself a cameo; how nice of him to do that…..again. I want to know why Stone is obsessed w/ the Talking Heads song. It really means something to have it played during the ending credits in both the original and sequel.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps is a very sad movie, because this kind of thing actually happens. It’s a wonder that this movie didn’t say “Based on real events.” And that’s why this movie works so well. It couldn’t have come out at a better time. Whenever the men in suits had meetings, I kept thinking that this is how it must go down in the real world behind closed doors.