The Wolfman

Mike V

Even though I'm not crazy about the werewolf design on the available pictures/posters (we will see how it looks in the finished film) I'm looking forward to the movie. Benicio Del Toro is a great choice I think, Anthony Hopkins is always good and it should be cool to see Hugo Weaving again in a bigger production. You know, in person again and without a mask ^^

Andrew Kevin Walker is a great writer. Se7en, 8mm, Sleepy Hollow. I hope he did the final draft...

I think the movie will be of a pretty good quality. Joe Johnson is a really director, and I think he'll deliver something good - but maybe not as interesting as a film as Mark Romanek would have made.

Regarding del Toro, I wonder if they are going to explain his lack of English accent in the film.

• 1 month later...

The movie was pretty good, any fears that Johnson wouldn't be able to pull of can be put to rest. There are a couple of issues with pace and editing, but the good outweighed the bad in this case. Rick Baker's work was as you would expect great, the Wolfman looked great and it was nice and gory, though it's too bad they went CG with the transformations, but it's not that distracting. The cinematography was pretty great looking and it's been said elsewhere that it is more reminiscent of Hammer horror, which I can definitely see because of the Gothic look.

Oh, and there is a nice little nod to An American Werewolf in London to keep an eye out for.

Hey MikeV, or anyone else who has seen the film - would you mind to gauge the gore factor for me?

I'm frightened - hold me!!! :lol:

Love me the werewolf genre, but is it slasher film gory or American Werewolf in London gory? I'm off my gore swing lately ... little help please. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This was a real disappointment. The characters and story were not engaing. The pace really seemed off early on. And I found it quite boring.

I didn't love the makeup, but I didn't hate it either. The transformations were good. And the asylum sequence was my favorite.

But there are some really silly moments. I found the climactic fight to be especially silly. Very disappointing.

And there's no reason this movie had to cost $150 million. That's absurd.

I was hoping for a little more. As a film, I thought it was okay, nothing to get too exctied about. There are a few good "gore" scenes, and the Wolfman it's self was not too bad. Understandibly, there was going to be CG, but I can not get over the CG shot of the final blow. They should have went practical on that one.

The direction was okay, some of it felt atmospheric like it should have been, but there were quite a few scenes that just didn't seem to fit in that same direction.

Overall, it's not bad, it's okay. I was hoping for a little more from Andrew Kevin Walker. It's been too long since he's done anything, so my expectations were really high for this one. Better than Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, but not as good as Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Wanted to like it more than I did. The makeup was okay, as was a lot of the set design. Hated the 'second werewolf so we can have a fight at the end' thing. I was hoping his mother was the other werewolf, actually. The asylum scene WAS great, but why couldn't they just find an old woman to play Maleva instead of someone with tons of obvious latex all over her face?? It was so distracting every time she was onscreen. The characters were not particularly engaging or likeable and Hopkins scene chewing got tiresome. Some nice carnage throughout. Overall, a 'B' just because I like the concept from the '41 classic and werewolves in general. :-)

Like I mentioned, I had problems with the sediting and pacing. But I just found that there will be a director's cut with 17 minutes of footage, so hopefully that will fix some things.

And Joe, forget about why they didn't go for a old woman. I wanna know why they they needed to make the bear and deer CGI, that was an odd Stephen Sommers-esque choice to make.

I wanna know why they they needed to make the bear and deer CGI, that was an odd Stephen Sommers-esque choice to make.

Don't forget the head. The deer and bear were distracting enough, but I could get through that, but the head compleatly pulled me out of it.