Spiderman 4 scrapped

mediumfan

Seems like the PTB just couldn't get together on this picture. First it was delayed because of script problems, then Sam Raimi said he couldn't get it done by the summer 2011 release date and maintain its creative integrity. (Sounds like the old "creative differences" came into play here.)

Anyway, SONY has decided to scrap the 4th sequel and reboot the franchise with a new cast and director. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin will co-produce the new Spidey, which will take the franchise back to Peter Parker's high school days before Spiderman.

Wait a minute. Didn't they already do that with the first Spiderman?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801360...t=Google+Reader

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/urgent-s...reboot-planned/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...088f148eaee3ac2

Seems like the PTB just couldn't get together on this picture. First it was delayed because of script problems, then Sam Raimi said he couldn't get it done by the summer 2011 release date and maintain its creative integrity. (Sounds like the old "creative differences" came into play here.)

Anyway, SONY has decided to scrap the 4th sequel and reboot the franchise with a new cast and director. Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin will co-produce the new Spidey, which will take the franchise back to Peter Parker's high school days before Spiderman.

Wait a minute. Didn't they already do that with the first Spiderman?

Yeah, the first movie was in high school, but the series has had the character grow and mature, and now it seems Sony is going Twilight the series up to appeal to the tween set. While I didn't hate Spider-Man 3, it had some really good elements that didn't really gel together (I still think if you don't like the "strutting scene" or dance number, you have no soul), it's just too bad Raimi wasn't able to go out on a stronger note.

No one in their right mind wants to see what happened with the Bat franchise in the 80's and 90's happen to their cash-cow.

If Raimi is out and they won't find/pay an equally talented filmmaker to take it over then naturally they go back to the drawing board.

Why? Does anyone really care about Peter Parker in high school? I'd bet not. Instead they should build on the franchise they have.

If Tobey won't do it then you pay Jake or some new kid on the block to step in and try for a high level of quality.

Now that the character is established it seems like you could go just about anywhere with it.

Backwards doesn't make much sense unless they're only doing it so they can get some young actor to sign his life away for the next 20 years of sequels

James Bond survived for many years with multiple actors in the role. Seems like the Spidey franchise was off to a good start. Does anyone stick with anything anymore?

I was never a huge fan of the Spidey films, mainly because I was never a huge Spiderman fan.

Consequently I'm not crying about this, but it does seem rather lame to go right back into a reboot on the heels of a successful franchise.

That or I'm not seeing the big picture Arad has in store.

- tb

No one in their right mind wants to see what happened with the Bat franchise in the 80's and 90's happen to their cash-cow.

If Raimi is out and they won't find/pay an equally talented filmmaker to take it over then naturally they go back to the drawing board.

Why? Does anyone really care about Peter Parker in high school? I'd bet not. Instead they should build on the franchise they have.

If Tobey won't do it then you pay Jake or some new kid on the block to step in and try for a high level of quality.

Now that the character is established it seems like you could go just about anywhere with it.

Backwards doesn't make much sense unless they're only doing it so they can get some young actor to sign his life away for the next 20 years of sequels

James Bond survived for many years with multiple actors in the role. Seems like the Spidey franchise was off to a good start. Does anyone stick with anything anymore?

I was never a huge fan of the Spidey films, mainly because I was never a huge Spiderman fan.

Consequently I'm not crying about this, but it does seem rather lame to go right back into a reboot on the heels of a successful franchise.

That or I'm not seeing the big picture Arad has in store.

- tb

Not that my opinion matters one bit....but I whole heartedly agree with Tim on this one!

My thoughts exactly, Tim.

so does that mean once robert downey jr finishes iron man they're going to reboot that too?

it's getting to be like a joke now. how can you enjoy these films and characters when marvel's just going to scrap everything and pretend it didn't happen a few years down the road. even if they were trying to appeal to the tweens, they're shutting out a majority of their fan base. kids don't really read comics. it's the college students and adults that read them. the whole high school trials and tribulations thing has been done before in different mediums and television shows. they're just beating a dead horse. the first spider-man film broke records and caused a lot of people to look at superhero flicks differently because it came out at a really good time and comic book inspired films weren't being cranked out every summer. they're taking a huge dump on everything if they're really rebooting spider-man.

Do we really need another Spiderman movie? I get that with comic books films, there's a lot of movies that can be made. But I feel that three is enough. I really liked Tobey Maguire as the character. It would be interesting to see who they would cast. I'd be okay with Chris Pine. He really impressed me with Star Trek, and I didn't expect him to be good in that.

Who else should be Spiderman?

I think it's a terrible idea to do this so soon! I think it was ok to do it the first time with Batman because the very first Batman came out, what? 21 yrs ago. So of course it would be ok to do a remake, but for Spiderman? Come on! It's waaaayyy too soon! And if I'm not mistakin', wasn't the bulk (if not all) of the Spiderman comics about Peter as a young adult photographer? Not a school kid! Just ridiculuos!

Since Batman Begins, I've always felt series can be rebooted after both a horrible last installment (there were enough bad moments in Spider-Man 3 to qualify), and a good amount of time has passed. It makes very little sense to reboot the series with the prior still very much in the public's mind (part of the reason I feel that Punisher War Zone failed so hard).

It's not impossible to make a reboot this soon interesting, but given the troubles that lead Raimi to leave, I wouldn't be shocked to see nothing good to come (though I do hope otherwise).

Since Batman Begins, I've always felt series can be rebooted after both a horrible last installment (there were enough bad moments in Spider-Man 3 to qualify), and a good amount of time has passed. It makes very little sense to reboot the series with the prior still very much in the public's mind (part of the reason I feel that Punisher War Zone failed so hard).

It's not impossible to make a reboot this soon interesting, but given the troubles that lead Raimi to leave, I wouldn't be shocked to see nothing good to come (though I do hope otherwise).

I'm sorry xNLx, but I don't think enough time has passed at all to make a re-boot of this! Is 8 yrs enough time? I don't know...not for me...especially after Spiderman 3. That was a horrible flick if I ever saw one...completely lost my interest.

I'm sorry xNLx, but I don't think enough time has passed at all to make a re-boot of this! Is 8 yrs enough time? I don't know...not for me...especially after Spiderman 3. That was a horrible flick if I ever saw one...completely lost my interest.

Whoops, I didn't make myself clear enough, I'm definitely with you, not enough time has passed. Tobey Maguire is still Spider-Man to the general public, and that might just be one of the biggest hurdles.

Same with Punisher in a way. I think a good many people still associated Tom with the part, that many didn't care about it right from the casting of Ray (who was good though).

What's with taking all the Supes back to school? First it was the annoucning of X-Men First Class, now this? Come on.

It's going to have to be pretty damn impressive for me to go see a re-boot.

Like I mentioned, you could probably blame it on the Twilight movies. Tobey Maguire does not appeal to tween girls.

Whoops, I didn't make myself clear enough, I'm definitely with you, not enough time has passed. Tobey Maguire is still Spider-Man to the general public, and that might just be one of the biggest hurdles.

Same with Punisher in a way. I think a good many people still associated Tom with the part, that many didn't care about it right from the casting of Ray (who was good though).

Ok, I'm with you on this aspect...becuase I am one of those people who think that TOM IS THE ONE AND ONLY PUNISHER! I've seen the others and am just convinced that TJ is My Punisher! LOL

But again....if they go thru with this, I thing the remake of this film is gonna be a flop! But hey.....what'd I know? :P

I think it's a terrible idea. So sad. They messed with Raimi on 3 and what we got was a mess. I happen to enjoy the film, even with it's flaws, but it's still a mixed bag.

What makes no sense to me is that you have a hugely successful franchise. 3 made a ton of dough despite the feedback. You have all of the principals back in the fold. Just let Raimi make his movie. When they left him alone on 2, it was the best of the series. Then when you release the film, back up the Brinks truck and collect the money. There's no gamble involved.

Rebooting a series that started in 2002 with a new cast and director is a huge gamble.

All that being said, my friend Jordan Raskin came up with a great idea for the new Peter Parker: Anton Yelchin. I can't agree more. He was the best thing about TERMINATOR: SALVATION and he stole all of his scenes in STAR TREK. He's always good and he looks the part.

(I do have to admit that I was not excited about the Vulture being the villain in 4, even with Malkovich in the role. Spider-Man has such a great rogue's gallery, that's not the direction I would have gone in.)

Yelchin would be an amazing replacement. What I'm worried about is that they will hire someone really young. I know they want to go back to the high school days, how many films do they want this way? I'm not really into actors playing high schoolers when they are obviously not.

Apparently Marc Webb who directed (500) Days of Summer is the front runner for the directors spot. I haven't seen the movie, so I have know idea how good he is, that said Joesph Gorden-Levitt would have made a good replacement Peter Parker, too bad he's too old to pull off playing a high school kid.

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Now that Raimi is out as director, SONY is supposedly looking at Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) to direct, and in addition, there are rumors that this may be shot in 3-D.

But since Webb is a newbie director, and has apparently never directed a 3-D pic before, there may be some trepidation on SONY's part.

Hey, if they're looking for a director with experience in 3-D (supposedly James Cameron is at the top of their wish list), I nominate Thomas Jane. You think he'd do it, or is Spiderman not his cuppa tea?

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/will-son...boot-with-webb/

Wow, I found out about Marc Webb today. I haven't seen his debut movie, but I've been a fan of his music video work for years. Very talented director in that department at least. I'm surprised about him being named the Spiderman director, but I'm extremely psyched as well. His debut film had to be pretty good.

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Now that Raimi is out as director, SONY is supposedly looking at Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) to direct, and in addition, there are rumors that this may be shot in 3-D.

But since Webb is a newbie director, and has apparently never directed a 3-D pic before, there may be some trepidation on SONY's part.

Hey, if they're looking for a director with experience in 3-D (supposedly James Cameron is at the top of their wish list), I nominate Thomas Jane. You think he'd do it, or is Spiderman not his cuppa tea?

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/will-son...boot-with-webb/

Jane accepts the Spider-Man Reboot, hires his own writer, keeps a closed set, no stills release for awhile, shoots in 3D, finally reveals it to the public as... Punisher 3D! I can dream, right?

Funny, my hubby just said last night, they should have asked TJ to direct the Spider Man reboot. ;)