It seems like Paul Bettany likes "religious fantasy" and working with Scott Stewart... with Legion and Priest coming up ^^

Maggie Q is joining Bettany and Cam Gigandet in Priest, a horror Western that Stewart is directing for Screen Gems, reports Variety.

Adapted by Cory Goodman from a TokyoPop comic, the film is set in a world ravaged by war between man and vampires and follows a warrior priest (Bettany) who teams with a sheriff (Gigandet) to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece.

Q will play a priestess -- a vampire hunter as tough as the priests -- who also joins Bettany.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58013

It's very loosely based on the graphic novel. I don't really understand why they changed so much from the source material (the comic story spans three distinct time periods; modern times, the Crusades and the Wild West and the antagonists are fallen angels and zombies, not vampires) and still present it as an adaptation and not as something original, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

http://priest.spe.com/

I have the entire comic series at home in Korean. So I was -this- close to nerdgasm then I read this:

It's very loosely based on the graphic novel. I don't really understand why they changed so much from the source material (the comic story spans three distinct time periods; modern times, the Crusades and the Wild West and the antagonists are fallen angels and zombies, not vampires) and still present it as an adaptation and not as something original, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

sigh.

Guest AdminGuyX

Irish turned me on to the books. We've chatted about this in some other thread already. Maybe the westerns thread?

Anyway, I'm not really looking forward to this. I think throwing the hollywood machine over this subject matter, and this material in particular is only going to ruin it.

Irish turned me on to the books. We've chatted about this in some other thread already. Maybe the westerns thread?

Anyway, I'm not really looking forward to this. I think throwing the hollywood machine over this subject matter, and this material in particular is only going to ruin it.

Especially if Hollywood follows the trend of completely not getting what is so appealing about the lead character. Because the Gunslinger Priest with his angsty and almost sociopathic attitude is one of my favorite chars ever.

Guest AdminGuyX

Yeah, and in this case - given the tweaked subject matter about religion and such - you know it's too easy for them to change it entirely to be "safe". Which given Bettany's "legion" subject matter is more than a little ironic.

Yeah, and in this case - given the tweaked subject matter about religion and such - you know it's too easy for them to change it entirely to be "safe". Which given Bettany's "legion" subject matter is more than a little ironic.

If they do make Priest "safe" from a religious perspective it'd be extra ironic considering the fact that Hyung Min Woo even added a supplemental strip to one of his Korean edition books stating emphatically that he's not religious. So you'd have a case where a non religious author makes a religious themed book that studios exorcise of religion to be palatable to a non-religious audience.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was at first pretty disapointed about the fact that they basically are only using the name PRIEST. And totally going in a different direction with tha actual material. Some of this sounds kinda dumb...a bad guy with the moniker of "BLACK HAT" wow, that's original...is there a sheriff named "WHITE HAT"?... I'll probably see this because it really sounds like a totally different animal than the manga (actually it's Korean, so I think it's Manwa?) so I'll just think of it that way and check it out...Love Urban...that helps.

• 1 year later...

Ok, saw this today, as I was sitting through the trailers before the flick, I had my post already running through my head. "The best part of the film is the trailer for Cap'n America"...WRONG!

Actually a damned good film, it has nothing to do with the Manga Priest in anyway shape or form so put it out of your head. It is a very gritty and dark film, it is not perfect, but it is damned good. Don't know how it has done this weekend at the box office, but the ending sets itself up for a sequel, if not a franchise. The only negative I can really find is NOT ENOUGH URBAN! They didn't call him BLACK HAT, as a matter of fact his name is never given or spoken. He always rules as a bad guy and did so here as well, honestly, a few more moments on screen and he would have stole the film...hope it does well and we get to see more of this adventure.

On a side note. The best trailer of the day? CONAN, again, finally seeing the trailer in 3D, it is pretty awesome looking, I'm really kinda stoked about this film now. LANG is so fucking badass in this, I'd see it just for him. But the majority of this trailer has a Solomon Kane feel to it on a much grander scale, very dark and unfriendly at times...and LANG...SHIT!

A win, win, for me. good trailers and a damned good film.

Guest AdminGuyX

Really?

I haven't seen it yet. Honestly I wasn't going to bother, most of my comic book buddies have been telling me to avoid it like the plague. If I do see it, it won't be in 3D. Maybe that will make a difference.