With all the talk about The Book Of Eli recently I thought it might be nice to share some of our favorites, films maybe some of us where not aware of.

The concept of the post apocalyptic landscape as a canvass for a film is certainly not a new idea, but one of the many reasons I love what I'm hearing about The Book Of Eli is it's fresh perspective on a concept that has been my true love for a very long time.

First up for me, I mentioned this in my list of fave post apocalyptic films in the Eli thread . . .

The Ultimate Warrior (1975)

Directed by Robert Clouse (Enter The Dragon, Black Belt Jones, Game Of Death)

Starring

Yul Brynner as Carson - The Warrior

Max Von Sydow as The Baron

Joanna Miles as Melinda (The Baron's Daughter)

William Smith as Carrot (The Villain)

Richard Kelton as Cal (The Botanist)

Stephen McHattie as Robert

The Ultimate Warrior is a great under rated classic from the 70's, not unlike other Warner films of the early 70's such as The Omega Man.

The film makes liberal use of the Warner/Burbank Studios back lot, dressed as a run down, post apocalyptic urban setting (doubling for New York City circa 2012). It is certainly dated in many ways, from the costumes (designers just weren't thinking outside the box enough at the time), or even more directly the colors of the costumes which range from lilac to other technicolor silliness. But set that aside. The score too by Gil Melle (The Andromeda Strain, Kolchak: The Nighstalker) is also dated using many of the popular techniques of the time. Some of the music could be dropped into a Dirty Harry film and no one would be the wiser ;) Still, it's a nice tight score by a very talented composer. The direction by Robert Clouse is similarly smack in the vein of the time period and the use of stills to show other locations, post apocalyptic settings, was the special visual effect of the era. Budget for the film is not readily attainable but I'd venture to say this was done on a shoestring, albeit a studio shoestring.

So yeah, it's a product of the time and as such is dated somewhat, but that doesn't really take away from the story.

The plot is - "Atomic holocaust is not the only plague that threatens our future. New York City, 2012 A.D.: In a devastated world, one tired man finds a reason to fight."

I won't spoil the real story here but the gist of the set-up is that after the holocaust many people are fighting to survive in a devastated world. Rival gangs and fiefdoms rule the streets. We have the good (led by Max Von Sydow's "The Baron") and the villainous (Led by William Smith's "Carrot")

Food is running out and some gangs are resorting to cannibalism. The Baron in conjunction with a scientist/botanist (Cal), have successfully created new strains of vegetables which can survive, even flourish in the wasteland. Carrot and his gang have been after the Baron and his foodstores (and people) for a good long while. Both sides are weakening but the Baron's group is dwindling faster and it won't be long before Carrot and his men will own the city.

Enter Carson. He simply arrives one day and stands atop a giant chunk of cement, on display, a warrior for hire. He stands defiant in the middle of a warzone, alone in the hot sun, naked from the waist up carrying only a fighting knife which he sheathes in a belt behind him. He's the deadliest of the deadly.

Will he come into service with Carrot or will the Baron enlist him and even up the odds?

This film is available pretty cheap on DVD, part of a double feature packaged with an obscure late 60's sci-fi thriller, Battle Beneath The Earth.

ultimatewarriorsml.jpg

Check it out.

- TB

Steel Dawn (1987)

Directed by Lance Hool (Missing in Action 2: The Beginning)

Starring

Patrick Swayze as Nomad

Lisa Niemi as Kasha

Anthony Zerbe as Damnil

Christopher Neame as Sho, Hired Killer

Brion James as Tark, Kasha's Foreman

Arnold Vosloo as Makker

In a post-apocalyptic world, a warrior wandering through the desert comes upon a group of settlers who are being menaced by a murderous gang that is after the water they control.

Steel Dawn is a low budget action movie, clearly inspired by Mad Max, with well choreographed fight scenes, a good cast and a great score by Brian May. It's certainly no Academy Award material, but it's entertaining. I haven't seen it for quite some time, so I guess it's time for me to check it out again soon :P

steeldawn.jpg

The Blood of Heroes (1989)

Written and Directed by David Webb Peoples (writer of Blade Runner, Unforgiven)

Starring

Rutger Hauer as Sallow

Delroy Lindo as Mbulu

Anna Katarina as Big Cimber

Vincent D'Onofrio as Young Gar

Joan Chen as Kidda

A Mad Max-esque post apocalyptic world provides the backdrop for a brutal, futuristic game resembling football. Rutger Hauer plays a disgraced former star leading a rag tag group of "Juggers" to one of the remaining Nine Cities for glory and redemption.

Another low budget one without an overdose of special effects and explosions. It's gritty, brutal and has some nice action. The great Rutger Hauer carries the movie. It was shot in Coober Pedy, Australia where they shot Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Pitch Black as well. David Eggby (Mad Max, Dragonheart, Pitch Black) was the Cinematographer. The Blood of Heroes actually inspired the creation of the sport "Jugger".

bloodofheroes.jpg

Guest AdminGuyX

When I was a kid, I used to catch 3 films on cable on a fairly regular basis. I didn't know any of them were in 3D until today. :)

metalstorm_ver1.jpg

I barely remember this movie, but the damn title has stuck with me forever.

spacehunter_ver2.jpg

Granted, this is on another planet, but still it has a very post apoc feel. When I was a kid, I always thought it was on earth.

Now, this next one remains a favorite, I still watch it today and love it. I know, I KNOW.

Damnation_Alley_1977.jpg

This is a film that could stand a big budget remake, something that hews a little closer to the source material but doesn't forget the action adventure film either. I could see Tom driving the RV from hell.

Maybe I should start writing the script. :)

I haven't seen "Damnation Alley" yet, but I just realized that it was a loose adaptation of the Roger Zelazny short story & novel, which is pretty good I heard, but it seems very different from the movie version, except for the basic plot. I need to check that out...

Hey, notice all the artwork for the posters here is actual ARTWORK?

Look ma, no photoshopped heads!!!

The top two shots Noeland tossed up there are not coming through for me for some reason. Anyone else not seeing them?

Good ones all around. Steel Dawn, I can't help it, I like that movie. Ahh, the incomparable Brion James!

And Blood Of Heroes . . . Agree with all but Satan's Balls man! You've left out the other connection to Mad Max!!! Hugh Keays-Byrne (The Toecutter) plays Lord Vlle!!!!

Damnation Alley is another one that floored me when I was very young, doesn't hold up quite as well for me these days, especially the FX which are quite crude. Still nostalgia wins every time. I still love it. How can you not dig Jan Michael Vincent and George Peppard IN THE DAY!?

Another low budget one without an overdose of special effects and explosions. It's gritty, brutal and has some nice action. The great Rutger Hauer carries the movie. It was shot in Coober Pedy, Australia where they shot Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and Pitch Black as well. David Eggby (Mad Max, Dragonheart, Pitch Black) was the Cinematographer. The Blood of Heroes actually inspired the creation of the sport "Jugger".

David has such an amazing eye for shooting action - harking back to the days of Mad Max. Lot of respect for his body of work. Am honored to be working with him.

Andrew

I fixed the links Tim. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, ARTWORK!!! The Blood of Heroes poster in particular has always been a favorite of mine.

We got 'The Blood of Heroes' as 'Salute of the Jugger' down here. I remember everyone talking about it at school doing Steel Dawn/Jugger references.. okay maybe not everyone - probably it was just me...

We got 'The Blood of Heroes' as 'Salute of the Jugger' down here. I remember everyone talking about it at school doing Steel Dawn/Jugger references.. okay maybe not everyone - probably it was just me...

Oh and and sorry for the multi-posting - only on the second cup of coffee for the morning.

Not sure if you guys have seen the original ending for Jugger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls6Wvx-RtFk

Ha, I remember watching Spacehunter at the theater, a double feature with something I can't remember.

The 3D was fucked so it was rather brutal to sit through, but I was young and I had fun anyway.

Then like 20 whatever years later Ray Zone (who supervised 3D on both Metalstorm and Spacehunter, told me there was a huge technical problem with the 3D on Spacehunter but they released it anyway. Mystery solved!

Don't know if I've ever watched Metalstorm. Any of this stuff available on DVD?

Yeah, and David Eggby, his career has been pretty splendid and yet with all of that great work (also Quigley Down Under, Kansas, Daylight, Crossfire Trail, etc . . ) he still hasn't gone where he deserves. This guy should not be shooting The Marine! He should be shooting Apaloosa and The Book Of Eli!!!

Hopefully Andrew's projects will help shine a more deserving light on this master of Cinematography.

- TB

Yeah, and David Eggby, his career has been pretty splendid and yet with all of that great work (also Quigley Down Under, Kansas, Daylight, Crossfire Trail, etc . . ) he still hasn't gone where he deserves. This guy should not be shooting The Marine! He should be shooting Apaloosa and The Book Of Eli!!!

Hopefully Andrew's projects will help shine a more deserving light on this master of Cinematography.

- TB

The thing I love about David's work is the economy of the frame, admittedly I've only ever seen Jugger in cropped 4/3 but can imagine it would be as beautiful as Mad Max. I'd much rather have David's work over Dean Semler any day of the week. That is also influenced by the fact that when Dean read ABWFY he didn't connect to the material, whereas David got it from the start and was totally committed. David's image has grit and raw determination and I love that. Yes even in something as glossy as Underdog which my kids love.

Oh and and sorry for the multi-posting - only on the second cup of coffee for the morning.

Not sure if you guys have seen the original ending for Jugger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls6Wvx-RtFk

Love to see that in it's original aspect ratio . . . Or was it shot like that? Can't remember if my DVD is wide or not.

The frame of Rutger at the end, the spitting of the challenge, excellent, great angle on Hauer. Hero stuff.

Tom and I have often discussed a remake of this. Not sure where the rights are.

Hard to beat Rutger though.

But yeah, it needs a good remake. No Jason Statham vehicle. Nothing against JS but I'd like to see it remade with someone besides the Crank, Death Race audience in mind. Otherwise I personally wouldn't have much interest.

Heh, either that or remaster the old film along with original ending, maybe give it a new coat of paint with the color timing, and then give it a new score that isn't so dated. Repackage the original!! Hey, that ain't a half bad idea. Much cheaper than launching a new production and ya get to keep Rutger, Joan Chen, Delroy Lindo, and Vincent D'Onofrio in the bargain!

I looked through my old VHS collection and I stumbled upon David Lynch's Eraserhead (1977) and Geoff Murphy's The Quiet Earth (1985). Very interesting movies with a post-apocalyptic vibe.

Jack Nance played the lead in Eraserhead, which is in black-and-white: In a post-apocalyptic society, Henry Spencer works in a factory and has a girlfriend, Mary. When she gets pregnant, she moves to his apartment and delivers a mutant baby, who cries all the time. She can not bear the screams of the child, leaving Henry, who is on vacation, taking care of the newborn child and driving him insane.

The Quiet Earth was based on a Craig Harrison novel and shot in New Zealand: A man wakes up to find himself literally alone in the world, and goes about trying to find other survivors, as well as to find out what happened. He suspects that a government research project he was involved in had something to do with the disappearance of everyone. Eventually he finds several other people, and once they begin to trust each other they try to figure out why they were left on earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back and watched Salute of the Jugger last night. I think the biggest problem is that the 4/3 aspect ratio doesn't give justice to the scope of the picture. The writing is outstanding - subtle yet effective. This is David Peoples the guy that gave us Unforgiven.

I liked it a lot, still do after not having seen it for nearly a decade.

Oh and have to make a mention about Coober Pedy - Eggby also shot Pitch Black there. Definitely have to shoot something there at some stage.

regards

Andrew

Went back and watched Salute of the Jugger last night. I think the biggest problem is that the 4/3 aspect ratio doesn't give justice to the scope of the picture. The writing is outstanding - subtle yet effective. This is David Peoples the guy that gave us Unforgiven.

regards

Andrew

Uh . . . yeah . . . ALSO the guy who wrote BLADE RUNNER and LADYHAWKE!!

Toss in 12 Monkeys too

So that's 3 of my all-time favorite films plus 2 pretty damn good ones!

Uh . . . yeah . . . ALSO the guy who wrote BLADE RUNNER and LADYHAWKE!!

Toss in 12 Monkeys too

So that's 3 of my all-time favorite films plus 2 pretty damn good ones!

Hey and don't forget Soldier - yes I haven't seen it in a while, but I liked it when I saw it.

Road Warrior is my all time Favoraite.

Resident Evil 3

Dawn of the Dead Orginal

Then so many others I have ennjoyed.

I know its not a movie. But for game players Fall Out is a blast and very cool storys. Latest one is Fall out 3 and just a blast to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one that I don't think many people here have seen from 1970, it's directed be Richard Lester and called The Bed-Sitting Room. It's a weird but interesting film about a post-apocalyptic London after World War III or "the Nuclear Misunderstanding".

Okay, finally throwing in one, because just like my "twin brother from another Mother" Bradstreet, I was completely spoon-fed on post-apocalyptic fare ... and what he said about his transition from Star Wars to Road Warrior really matched my experience. Anyway ...

After time relegated to the "Save" section - which usually means, no longer available for rental, Netflix moved up

HARDWARE, 1990

with a 9-29-09 release date.

Yeah, baby.

For me, what I remember is the oppressive, claustrophobic feeling of what it would be like to live in a human-sized trash compactor. For me, the film had one of the early strong female characters as a throwaway or afterthought - not some kind of statement - which I completely dug. For me, I loved my confusion over where are these people? How do they live? And I loved my suspension of disbelief in absorbing that confusion with this tacit understanding of the possibility of the world that was depicted.

Wow.

Dear lord, let us pray the film holds up upon review.

After time relegated to the "Save" section - which usually means, no longer available for rental, Netflix moved up

HARDWARE, 1990

Yeah, baby.

For me, what I remember is the oppressive, claustrophobic feeling of what it would be like to live in a human-sized trash compactor. For me, the film had one of the early strong female characters as a throwaway or afterthought - not some kind of statement - which I completely dug. For me, I loved my confusion over where are these people? How do they live? And I loved my suspension of disbelief in absorbing that confusion with this tacit understanding of the possibility of the world that was depicted.

Wow.

I didn't remember that title, but when I went over to netflix to check it out, it stimulated some long dormant neurons. We rented that long ago. I put it back on my list to give it another viewing after all these years. From what I remember, I think it will hold up just fine.

I'll finally get a chance to check this out. Years back, a bunch of friends and I were hanging out at a club. There is a theater screen set up that plays films spliced together. That night it was a combo of Hardware, Aliens, and several anime films. I still remember quite a bit from what I saw (especially Lemmy and Iggy) but never had the chance to see it in full. Now I can.

HARDWARE, 1990

Yeah, baby.

Wow.

I remember that this was one of the few films I went to the theatre to see and I was sorely disappointed.

Now my recall is a bit fuzzy (It was nearly 20 years ago....)

I love the whole premise, but how damned big is the apartment for the "Machine" to spend roughly 1/3 of the movie trying to kill her.