John Hughes (1950-2009)

kdedu

John Hughes, dead of a heart attack

I'll always remember that Tom and I, on a date in 1986, saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off. After the movie, I turned to him and told him that he was totally capable of doing what Broderick just did (not his style I knew). A few weeks later, Tom disappeared - turns out he went to India.

For those too young to remember or so old you've forgotten, here's a list of what he worked on:

National Lampoon's Vacation

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Weird Science

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen Candles

Pretty in Pink

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Uncle Buck

Home Alone

I just saw this on the news. There were talks of him going back to do films like those in his earlier career. I was hoping to see that. I have a lot of great memories from high school watching his films. Only 59, damn shame.

I just saw this on the news. There were talks of him going back to do films like those in his earlier career. I was hoping to see that. I have a lot of great memories from high school watching his films. Only 59, damn shame.

This sucks so much. My favorite film by him was P, T, & A, though I loved most of his films. R.I.P. John! You were too young.

Sad news indeed.

Though I'd have been in favor (as it seems so was Hughes) of him NOT going back to mine the material unless we were given the 'where are they now' scenario. Like a Breakfast Club reunion film (sounds ludicrous put like that), but C'mon! I'd love to see what happened to the Athelete, the Brain, the Criminal, the Princess, and the Basket Case . . . maybe it's a better idea in theory than it would be as a film but still! And it wouldn't be the same without Paul Gleason who passed away a few years ago. Breakfast Club came out the year I graduated from high school so it will always be a very special film for me.

Fact is you can NEVER recapture the magic of the time, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, Weird Science, Some Kind Of Wonderful, etc . . .

They were seminal teen films for the generation growing up in the 80's. Still very relevant today but nigh impossible to attempt to produce anything close to the touchstone he hit at the time.

And let's not forget that as a writer Hughes also scripted that early 80's classic, Mr. Mom.

Why does no one ever mention that one? He also wrote Nate And Hayes, one of my favorite 80's adventure films.

I'll NEVER forget how hard I laughed when I saw Planes, Trains & Automobiles at the theater in 1987. She's Having a Baby, Uncle Buck, Career Opportunities, and Dutch are also among my favorite Hughes fiilms.

I have a feeling that Vid stores are doing bang up business on these titles right fucking now (if they even have some of them in stock.

I'm sure everyone in and around my age is reconnecting with these films and reliving their delicious youth, God it was great.

It's such a great loss losing a creator like Hughes at such a young age, but JayHOsuhFAT! what a legacy.

Personal favorite Hughes moment - From Ferris Bueller's Day Off (OK, the WHOLE FILM!), it will NEVER get old and still makes me laugh as hard as the first time I saw it . . .

[A Cubs game is on television]

Ed Rooney: What's the score?

Pizza Joint Owner: Nothin' nothin'.

Ed Rooney: [not really listening] Who's winning?

Pizza Joint Owner: (a beat . . and incredulous stare) . . . The Bears.

Fuck man, we were just laughing our asses off about that scene a few weeks ago at SDCC!

Live On John Hughes, and thanks a BILLION.

- TB

PS - Don't be afraid, tell us which is your favorite Hughes film.

My fave - Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Sad news indeed.

Though I'd have been in favor (as it seems so was Hughes) of him NOT going back to mine the material unless we were given the 'where are they now' scenario. Like a Breakfast Club reunion film (sounds ludicrous put like that), but C'mon! I'd love to see what happened to the Jock, the Nerd, the Hood, the Prom Queen, and the Weirdo . . . maybe it's a better idea in theory than it would be as a film but still! And it wouldn't be the same without Paul Gleason who passed away a few years ago. Breakfast Club came out the year I graduated from high school so it will always be a very special film for me.

Fact is you can NEVER recapture the magic of the time, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, Weird Science, Some Kind Of Wonderful, etc . . .

They were seminal teen films for the generation growing up in the 80's. Still very relevant today but nigh impossible to attempt to produce anything close to the touchstone he hit at the time.

And let's not forget that as a writer Hughes also scripted that early 80's classic, Mr. Mom.

Why does no one ever mention that one? He also wrote Nate And Hayes, one of my favorite 80's adventure films.

I'll NEVER forget how hard I laughed when I saw Planes, Trains & Automobiles at the theater in 1987. She's Having a Baby, Uncle Buck, Career Opportunities, and Dutch are also among my favorite Hughes fiilms.

I have a feeling that Vid stores are doing bang up business on these titles right fucking now (if they even have some of them in stock.

I'm sure everyone in and around my age is reconnecting with these films and reliving their delicious youth, God it was great.

It's such a great loss losing a creator like Hughes at such a young age, but JayHOsuhFAT! what a legacy.

Personal favorite Hughes moment - From Ferris Bueller's Day Off (OK, the WHOLE FILM!), it will NEVER get old and still makes me laugh as hard as the first time I saw it . . .

Fuck man, we were just laughing our asses off about that scene a few weeks ago at SDCC!

Live On John Hughes, and thanks a BILLION.

- TB

PS - Don't be afraid, tell us which is your favorite Hughes film.

My fave - Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

It’s hard to pick just one. I grew up on his movies in the eighties, whenever I'm missin the good ole days of my younger years I pop in a John Hughes film and the world seems right again...He knew exactly how to capture the angst of the eighties teenager like no other. Even his newer stuff was fantastic, he will be missed indeed. But forced to pick just one I would have to agree, Ferris Bueller is definitely great. You can't go wrong with lines like

"Whoever you are I have a gun and a scorching case of herpes"...classic

Very sad indeed and so young. He did so many great ones. If I had to choose one it be Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I watch that film every Thanksgiving with my family. Make you laugh, damn near cry and see a wonderful ending with two great characters. Truly one of my all time Favorites!

For me it is two seperate parts of his career.

As a writer I loved his DUTCH, maybe as much because of Ed O'neill, who was cast perfectly for the role and became a fast favorite of mine after watching it.

But I'm a sap...a really BIG sap for 1990's HOME ALONE. I wish I could have communitcated how important this movie was to my family. In 1994 my daughter started to have terrible health problems and no matter how low she felt that damned movie always cheered her up. The fucking thing will still make me laugh out loud today even though I've seen it at least 50 times! I love it, I cherish it...stupid as it may sound.

I'm definitely not going the forget "the bears" moment at SDCC for a very long time.

Guest AdminGuyX
For me it is two seperate parts of his career.

As a writer I loved his DUTCH, maybe as much because of Ed O'neill, who was cast perfectly for the role and became a fast favorite of mine after watching it.

But I'm a sap...a really BIG sap for 1990's HOME ALONE. I wish I could have communitcated how important this movie was to my family. In 1994 my daughter started to have terrible health problems and no matter how low she felt that damned movie always cheered her up. The fucking thing will still make me laugh out loud today even though I've seen it at least 50 times! I love it, I cherish it...stupid as it may sound.

Wow, I never knew this. Suddenly I really miss you guys!

I love his films too. Uncle Buck being a particular favorite of mine, but the delight, the utter joy and innocent as you please revelry of every moment of pain inflicted in Home Alone was too much damn fun to ever forget. It will always be funny, because it's one of the last film to successfully be that violent and that funny and kid friendly at the same time. They could never do that today.

I heard this on NPR today, thought is was kind of neat. It's about a pen pal relationship John had with a young fan.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=111665441

As for a favorite film, I always thought his writing was his strong point. He's a good director, but the scripts are what always got me. Pretty In Pink has always been my favorite, mostly because I thought the father/daughter relationship stuff was great. Harry Dean Stanton was perfect casting.

This is really sad news indeed, especially for those of us who grew up on his movies in the 80's. For me, The Breakfast Club was always his best. I think everyone who saw that movie recognized something of themselves in one of those characters. I'll always remember the scene with all of them train-dancing in the library.

I also loved his later work, like Home Alone, but the seminal movies of my teenage years will always be what I think of when I think of him.

RIP.

Sad.

He was a big part of my 80's.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is my favourite. Makes me laugh every time.

They just don't make them like that anymore....

When i saw the Breakfast Club, it was perfect timing for it to be most significant for me. So without question, John Hughes had a significant impact in my life. For this reason it's my favorite movie of his.

When I saw Trains, Planes, and Automobiles, I laughed harder than any other movie I had ever seen in the theater, so that movie was definitely the funniest.

After I just got settled into moving into my new place, I found Uncle Buck while flipping channels. I insisted my oldest daughter, then 13, watch it with me. She groaned heavily at the thought, but was caught within 5 minutes. She absolutely loved the movie and remembers that moment together. Uncle Buck was my favorite John Candy role.

Mike

Sixteen Candles, hands down, is the one that hurt the most. The timing was right, I was 15, and it felt like Hughes had been secretly watching me and my friends - stolen underwear, passing notes, hating other girls in school who seemed to have adult bodies, geeks giving you the attention you'd rather get f/ hunks, your grandparents openly commenting on your body, etc. It captured the everyday reality of just how humiliating and embarassing it is to be a teenager and wrapped it up w/ a fairy tale ending. Guys here may not get it but there's a generation of women still looking for their Jake Ryan.

In close second is Ferris, the absolutely flip side of the Sixteen Candles coin - a teenager in complete control. "He makes you look like an ass is what he does, Ed"

Archived