have seen the movie must say its ok. the performences by liev schreiber and danny huston are really good. especially schreiber's. would be cool to X-Men Origins: Sabretough :)

hugh jackman is wolverine, but schreiber f*ck he is so much cooler. why didn't he get more screentime :angry:

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from seeing this. It was okay. I'll give it that. I liked it better than X-3. There were lots of flaws in this, most bothersome (besides Deadpool, that is a disaster) was the crappy CG that Mike mentioned. This big of a budget and they can not take the time to get some simple things right. Sheesh. And Xavier at the end, I thought it was an adult Charlie Brown, it looked ridiculous.

The first 1/3 of the movie I really liked. All my worries dissapered, then things went horribly wrong after that. I must say that my biggest dissapointment was in the begining though. The stuff I was looking forward to the most was Logan and Creed fighting in all the big wars, and it was reduced to a five minute opening credit sequence. What a waste.

Not wanting to get into the plot too much, after Wolverine has the adimantium grafted, things just get silly as they did in X-3. The film started to revolve around a typical revenge plot while trying to introduce as many mutants as possible, probably in hopes of selling more action figures. Of course there is the set up of the new First Class X-Men film and the butchering of what could have been a really cool character in Deadpool.

Sabertooth was great. I didn't think he stole the show from Wolverine, some scenes yes, but not the show. Liev did an outstanding job and has some great diolouge and even the lackluster lines, he pulled off like a pro and not in a ho-hum way.

All in all, it was okay. See a matinee or wait for rental. Not really worth $8.00 unless your a fan (though die hard fans might not like some of it) or just want simple fun then by all means enjoy it. I thought it was fun, but I was just hoping for more substance, shame on me.

That's a good attempt at a rationalization Raf -

Raf - You are going to like this film, negative comments are not going to change that ;)

Obviously it's too late to make changes. Speaking for myself I'm commenting on what I've seen, what I know already, and it does rather ruin the film for me to a certain extent. Can I look past it and enjoy the film for what it is? That remains to be seen. You say "yes it has cheesy sequences", that ain't making me feel like standing in line ;) I'm still trying to wrap my mind around your first paragraph. I believe I understand what you are trying to say though. Is it a deal breaker? Haven't seen the film yet. Speculation is all it is. I just don't have a good feeling. What is certain is that my criteria and your criteria for what constitutes an excellent filmgoing experience are vastly different in cases like this.

And that's fine and dandy. Really do hope you diggit.

- tb

I dig, I dig ;)

Tim I think you'll think the movie is at least a fun film put it that way.

Durand was good in the role, but he's a very imposing looking guy, I always thought he would have made a great sabertooth. Maybe he'll play Omega red in the next movie :P .

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=8297

You know what's funny is that I actually told Kevin Durand online that I think he would be a good Sabretooth after finding his name in the cast list and not knowing who he was supposed to play. I guess in this case, they just wanted a superb actor in the role of Creed. After all, Creed is second billed isn't he?

I think Dolph would actually be a good Omega Red. Think about it. We all know he can play a Russian ;)

-Raffi

I wish I could have found something to like about WOLVERINE. Wish I would have found any of it fun. Much of it plays like a parody with the most cliched scenes and shots possible. It makes no sense. Many characters are there just to load in a bunch of new mutants.

I would love to say that it's a great practical joke, because sometimes you can't believe what you're seeing, but that would give the filmmakers too much credit for creativity.

I would love to see an adaptation of the Claremont/Miller mini series, but maybe I don't if it's handled this way. Characters like Bishop and Mister Sinister would probably show up in the middle for no reason, just to get them on screen.

The bottom line is that it's garbage.

Saw it...love it as much as any of the X-Men films. You critics out there had me scared to death. A few things:

FIRST IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE, YOU ARE DUMB AND DESERVE SPOILERS. :P

1.) Deadpool was not that off from the comics. The only thing different was the laser eyes and retractable blades that can be seen in any of the trailers. The blades I can put in the same category as Spidermans webshooters. The lasers I hope they get rid of. All else was Deadpool from the comics. Reynolds was great.

2.) I think the characters were all used very well as SUPPORTING roles, as they should have been...though I'm not sure who will end up as Maverick now.

3.) I could have gone for more cajun in Gambit's accent, but overall not bad (and he IS that powerful in the comics...moreso even).

4.) THERE IS SOMETHING AFTER THE CREDITS!!! STICK AROUND

5.) The bullets were weird but forgivable.

All in all, no major problems from me. The ST/Wolvie team-up at the end was great. Kudos to Durand, Huston and Schreiber for solid performances and Liev did NOT steal the movie.

I take back my earlier slam at TL. He should be pretty happy with this flick.

Fred

Saw it...love it as much as any of the X-Men films. You critics out there had me scared to death. A few things:

FIRST IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE, YOU ARE DUMB AND DESERVE SPOILERS. :P

1.) Deadpool was not that off from the comics. The only thing different was the laser eyes and retractable blades that can be seen in any of the trailers. The blades I can put in the same category as Spidermans webshooters. The lasers I hope they get rid of. All else was Deadpool from the comics. Reynolds was great.

2.) I think the characters were all used very well as SUPPORTING roles, as they should have been...though I'm not sure who will end up as Maverick now.

3.) I could have gone for more cajun in Gambit's accent, but overall not bad (and he IS that powerful in the comics...moreso even).

4.) THERE IS SOMETHING AFTER THE CREDITS!!! STICK AROUND

All in all, no major problems from me. The ST/Wolvie team-up at the end was great. Kudos to Durand, Huston and Schreiber for solid performances and Liev did NOT steal the movie.

Fred

Glad you liked it. It does have it's good moments, but for me there should have been more. I heard that there are two separate scenes after the credits. One involving wolverine in Japan, and One with Deadpool. I didn't mind what went on with Deadpool, as long as we can get a decent spin off film for him. I did enjoy Gambit's portrayal. And is he really that powerful in the comics? I've only read a hand full back in the day. I would like to see a spin off with him too, though it's too bad they can't go with the whole Rogue thing. She's a little young for him in the movies ;)

As long as there are plenty of gratuitous shots of shirtless Hugh Jackman with veins bulging and muscles popping then I'd say yes he should be pretty happy with this flick.

Yeah, he's called the merc with a mouth, and at the end by taking that away they took away the most interesting thing about the character, though the bit after the credits with him breaking the fourth wall was pretty cool.

There wasn't really any development for any of the supporting characters, as soon as we see the team they break up and then get killed by Creed, they should have showed them on more missions that way they could have built up the characters.

Like I said the bullets could have worked if Stryker thought they would have killed Wolverine, the whole 'his memories won't heal' is bullshit writing. The movie was lazy written, and didn't seem to give a shit about continuity not to mention but it bares repeating the shoddy CG effects, there's no reason for Wolverine's claws to look like the came from a PS2 game, and the less said about Patrick Stewart's cameo the better.

The ending I saw was with Wolverine in Japan. I talked to a co-worker and they said they saw another ending that was compleatly diffrent. I call bullshit on Fox for pulling that crap. I'm not going to see it twice for the chance I'll see the other ending.

Fred

I though Ryan was perfect. Hell, even in Blade 3 he was perfect for the part, diolouge wise. I liked all the Wade stuff, but the Deadpool aspect at the end was shit. They could have went so many other directions. Of all the folks I've talked to who's seen the film, this is the biggest part of why they had a hard time enjoying the film, and I can't blame them.

Yeah, I got the Deadpool one where he breaks the fourth wall.

????????????? What do you mean breaks the fourth wall?

Yeah, he's called the merc with a mouth, and at the end by taking that away they took away the most interesting thing about the character, though the bit after the credits with him breaking the fourth wall was pretty cool.

Stryker hates mutants and comments early on in the film that Wade would be the perfect soldier if not for his mouth. Has more to do with Stryker being a bit mad than being able to set Wolverine up for a jab later.

There wasn't really any development for any of the supporting characters, as soon as we see the team they break up and then get killed by Creed, they should have showed them on more missions that way they could have built up the characters.

Development? You mean aside from Chris leaving the team because he couldn't cope with what they were doing to become a sad sideshow attraction at a fair? And I've hear others complain that the films should have been more about Wolverine. I think they did just enough on the side characters to develop the story.

Like I said the bullets could have worked if Stryker thought they would have killed Wolverine, the whole 'his memories won't heal' is bullshit writing. The movie was lazy written, and didn't seem to give a shit about continuity not to mention but it bares repeating the shoddy CG effects, there's no reason for Wolverine's claws to look like the came from a PS2 game, and the less said about Patrick Stewart's cameo the better.

Continuity? Have you watched ANY of the Xmen movies? Or HELL, for that matter read the comics? The Patrick Stewart thing was pretty funny. My wife said he ha d a pregnant glow. :)

I though Ryan was perfect. Hell, even in Blade 3 he was perfect for the part, diolouge wise. I liked all the Wade stuff, but the Deadpool aspect at the end was shit. They could have went so many other directions. Of all the folks I've talked to who's seen the film, this is the biggest part of why they had a hard time enjoying the film, and I can't blame them.

I didn't really have a problem with it. Again, Deadpool was created by the Weapon X program in the comics. Through that project he gets the ability to TELEPORT, HEAL and I believe even gets him some adamantium. Take out the Eyebeams and "maybe" take out the blades (I think they worked) and you've got a pretty cool story. When you watch the hidden Deapool ending with him and his mouth restored you should have more of an appreciation for it. I personally liked the Wolvie/Sabertooth team up at the end.

Anyway, to each his own. I think people went into this expecting Dark Knight and were surprised to get another XMen movie. I have to tell you, I was seriously dreading going to see this because of all the posts on this thread. VERY pleasantly surprised.

The blades in the arms didn't do it for me at all. I liked the swords, and they put them to better use at the begining of the film than the blades in the arms. Plus, as long as the blades where, how the hell would he be able to bend his arms? And even if that was not a factor, it just grates on me that in the films, and even in the comics, why is it that most of the people Wolverine goes up against has something extending out of their arms or hands?

Not to keep ragging on the film, it was fun for what it was. I did not go in thinking it should be The Dark Knight, but I was thinkging it should have been along the lines of X2. With this film they tried to set up more spin-offs and cram as many mutants into the film as they could "just because" ( and Donner herself has said that that is going to be part of the X-Men films). I just wish Deadpool would have cut his mouth open sooner, it's part of his character for crying out loud. Guess I'll have to play Ultimate Allience to get my fix ;)

It's a stage term when the actor addresses the audience; the 4th wall being the open end of the stage, or the screen of the theater.

Ahhhh stupid me. I'm a film actor and not soo much a theater actor. We didn't learn that term in the classes I took back in the day. Good stuff though. Thanks for tecahing me J!