WOLVERINE

origin1950

Heh, I getcha pal, it's just that it's such an OBVIOUS inaccuracy.

So easy to have avoided. Yes, it's a comicbook movie, yes, most won't give a crud.

Just seems like if they were going to go to these lengths to root everything in history why not go just a little bit further?

Maybe it gets explained or there is a bona fide reason for it in the context of the film, I hope so ;)

- TB

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uncanny XMen 268 has Wolverine, Captain America and Black Widow serving together in WWII...so there's your Wolverine in WWII.

As for your facial hair...here we have another case of preview bashing. FIRST, notice that NEITHER of the characters in question are WEARING the patch above...meaning that they are not PART of the unit. Second, the whole facial hair issue could be handled in the FILM via dialogue etc.

Finally, Jackman and his boyfriend? Gunplanet, if you have a problem with Jackman and Schrieber you are in a very small uncultured minority. Also, I'd bet you are one of the few here who truly believes this is going to "suck". Not that there's a problem with holding opinions contrary to the masses, but a little tact would be nice.

And as for the smirk...they are INVINCIBLE! What's not to smirk at? Who's going to kill them?

AGAIN though, this is another LEAPING TO GIANT DAMNED CONCLUSIONS over ONE picture.

Argh

Guest AdminGuyX

I don't think Fred was personally offended GP. Your boyfriend comment, to me, reads like you're intentionally baiting for an argument. But, I think we know you better than that. ;)

And also, I sincerely doubt they are trying to undermine a historical event. That seems like a reach.

The facial hair looks off, it looks odd. Even if they are explained away as special operators in the context of the story, this photo as a promo shot doesn't work for me.

Certainly not a deal breaker in my excitement to see the film though. Still very much looking forward to it.

As for me betting that it will suck— I have to disagree with you on that point, I haven't formulated an opinion about the quality of the film. From my perspective, I'm merely analyzing the content of the image and making casual observations about the context and the demeanor of the people therein.

Come on. You posted your thoughts on a photo and Fred replied to those thoughts. This isn't a court of law, you don't need to defend your comments with abstract rationalizations.

But again, I'm sorry for my lack of tact and for whatever conclusions (giant, damned or otherwise) you've interpreted my words to represent— I tend to talk casually in these settings, but I've misinterpreted the tone of the thread.

You posted negative comments, and you have a right to feel however you feel man. The tone of the thread notwithstanding. And, I wasn't aware of a tone for this thread, but did you think we were hating on the movie?

Crazy pic...why are Wolverine and Sabertooth the only ones who DO NOT have the helmut strapped down?...I think I remember reading somewhere that it was a good idea to not strap down the brain bucket because of concussions from explosions...something like that...

Guest AdminGuyX

Good eye! I hadn't noticed that. Probably has something to do with extras sitting around on set for hours, and bored wardrobe folks tidying them up, and stars who throw the helmets on a few seconds before the director yells ACTION.

;)

I dig sabertooth packing the bad ass BAR though.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Brown...Automatic_Rifle

wolverineddaytz2.png

Are we sure this is a shot direct from the film? It almost looks to me like the two dudes of note have been photoshopped in. They're right in front with just some water spray in front of them. They don't seem to fit in with the rest of the group. Maybe it's just me.

As for your facial hair...here we have another case of preview bashing. FIRST, notice that NEITHER of the characters in question are WEARING the patch above...meaning that they are not PART of the unit. Second, the whole facial hair issue could be handled in the FILM via dialogue etc.

If you look closely, Creed is wearing the insignia on his shoulder.

Guest AdminGuyX
Are we sure this is a shot direct from the film? It almost looks to me like the two dudes of note have been photoshopped in. They're right in front with just some water spray in front of them. They don't seem to fit in with the rest of the group. Maybe it's just me.

Unless they photoshopped in sabertooth's wierd fingernails too, it's for real.

;)

Good eye! Missed that.

Heh, I getcha pal, it's just that it's such an OBVIOUS inaccuracy.

So easy to have avoided. Yes, it's a comicbook movie, yes, most won't give a crud.

Just seems like if they were going to go to these lengths to root everything in history why not go just a little bit further?

Maybe it gets explained or there is a bona fide reason for it in the context of the film, I hope so ;)

- TB

I'm thinking that might be a part of it..... they tell Creed and Logan to lose the facial hair and they say fuck you.

Noticed that in the relook. I guess I didn't see it on their helmets.

Anyway, hope I didn't ruffle any tail-feathers, but I think Jackman has been perfect as Wolvie and that Liev is going to be a fantastic Creed. I just hate to see all the naysaying over ONE photo when the trailer and everything else I've seen has been so cool.

I agree about the facial hair, but disagree with the 29th.

I like to leave the suspension of belief to the superpower stuff and hope everything else is smartly and conveniently tied into the history we do know. That being said, I always remember Wolverine and Sabretooth as being Canadians; although in the marvel universe they did work for the CIA in the 60's. According to the marvel online source:

"As an adult, Creed took the name Sabretooth, and by the 1910s he was known by this name in a small Canadian frontier community where he intimidated almost everyone. One of the few exceptions was a young man named Logan, whom Sabretooth sensed had superhuman abilities similar to his own."

Since the Canadians also played a major role during the D-Day invasion by successfully landing on and securing Juno Beach, I think it would have even been more appropriate for them to be in the "3rd Canadian Infantry Division." For example, they could have been assigned to either the 1st Hussars or The Fort Garry Horse, which landed ahead of the infantry to soften up the defenses and provide covering fire.

Based ont the photo, they look to be standard infantry, assaulting from a landing craft in daylight, and not a special ops unit. I think it more likely that a special ops unit would have been air-dropped at night before the landings, which 450 Canadian Infantrymen did as well. It seems more reallistic to me that Wolverine and Sabretooth are not likely to join the U.S. Army as GIs, rather that they would become involved with the US after being discovered for their special abilities and thus becoming special agents of sorts like they did in the '60s.

This is not of course to say anything negative about the 29th and their courageous efforts. Just that it would seem more fitting for them to fight for their "homeland" as GIs, especially when a relatively equal event had occured with similar results. I think few in the U.S even know that D-Day was a significant effort by more than U.S and Brits and getting a true historical snippet out of a movie makes it a little more fun.

Mike

No Facial Hair

These are images of Canadian Landing Craft during the D-Day Invasion:

ddayLandings.jpg

Or is there??

ddayFlotila.jpg

Look at the guy on center bottom.

Fred,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been a member for a few months, but I am not one to post much, mostly just a lurker that enjoys the topics here.

Mike

That was lovely. Like to see this thing all slick and pretty, with nice sound.

Soon though right?

- tb

PS - Mike says -

Look at the guy on center bottom.

ddayFlotila.jpg

Looks to me like he's just got a wad of food in his mouth/cheek.

A lot of other dudes are popping rations and grabbing a bite too.

I am detecting no facial hair ;)

Just saw the trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still, looked interesting. Does anyone know why they didn't use the Sabretooth from the X-Flicks?

Just curious...

As far as my impressions from the trailer (skewed though they may be), I was kinda anticipating a more "Clockwork Orange" type intrigue surrounding Wolverine's origin. In the comics, Logan has always worn this tragedy on his sleeve, suggesting that he were somehow victimized by the powers-that-be to become this depraved indestructible killer. In the trailer, it seems to suggest Logan plays a more willful role in the destruction of his memories and the adamantium lacing.

Looks pretty damn cool, the title is still fucking stupid. But Fox had to fuck up on some level, so at least it was only with the title.

Here's Wolverine getting shot at in some early war.

wolverinekz6.png

Wolverine storming Normandy.

wolverine2bq3.png

Wolverine flying 30 feet into the air.

wolverine3nm4.png

Sabretooth

sabertoothlz9.png

sabertooth2mg2.png

Gambit blowing shit up.

gambitmu1.png

From the looks of it, Emma Frost makes an appearance.

frostar4.png

And for so reason we get baby Storm in this movie too.

stormtp2.png

Written by Steve ‘Frosty’ Weintraub

While the “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” trailer was released to theaters with 20th Century Fox’s “The Day the Earth Stood Still” remake, it’s only been officially put online this morning.

And…that makes no sense.

The fact is, anything playing in a movie theater gets bootlegged within a day and it’s all over the internet. And when it’s something fanboys care about…like a “Wolverine” trailer…it’s online right after the first midnight show. So while it makes sense for a movie studio to try and get some extra business from fanboys and make it an exclusive for a little while, they should never wait three days to post it online.

In my opinion, the movie theater exclusive should be for 24 hours, so at midnight on Friday, the trailer should be released on the net. That way all the diehard’s feel like they saw it first, and for the rest of the audience, the first time they watch the trailer they see a high quality version and not some shitty camera recording. After all, you only have one chance to make a first impression.

wtitle.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

w8.jpg

Continue reading: http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news...id/10146/tcid/1