Bad Planet and Alien Pig Farm 3000 - trade collections!

Hmmm.... If that had been the case, I would have removed the dust jacket, so that it wouldn't have gotten messed up, and stuck it in a drawer somewhere. I like the simple elegance of the deathspider logo impressed into the cover of the book. (Black on black and more than 8 inches in diameter, for those who haven't seen it yet.) There may not be any 3D in the black & white hardbound, but you can run your fingers over the baby deathspider impression right there on the cover. The orangey/gold lettering on the spine of the book pops nice off the black as well.

I think you could retain the idea with a matte black cover, with the deathspider in glossy black. Either way, its all a moot point, since the book is amazing!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, I think I may have lost my books. :P My mother (who forwards all my mail to me from home) opened the Alien Pig Farm and started reading it (she's 72 years old!) and she got a kick out of it. She thought it was a hoot. She had to call my sister and tell her about the book she was reading about "redneck moonshiners versus aliens" as she put it. I can't believe that! That's hysterical.

But now my nephew is trying to stake a claim to them. I think I'm gonna go home and fight them all for my books, dangit!

HaHA! That's awesome MF!

Do you think your grandmother would be into paying to see an Alien Pig Farm 3000 movie?

We're hoping to get that set up some where SOON.

Also, you might remind your relatives that opening your mail is a federal offense ;)

- TB

HaHA! That's awesome MF!

Do you think your grandmother would be into paying to see an Alien Pig Farm 3000 movie?

Also, you might remind your relatives that opening your mail is a federal offense ;)

- TB

Re...Really? :)

HaHA! That's awesome MF!

- TB

It's okay, Tim. She had my permission. :P And no, I don't think my grandmother would be interested in the Alien Pig Farm movie, but my mother might, lol! She thought the book was a hoot. And so she told my nephew about the books and now he's trying to get them before I can even get my hands on them. :rolleyes:

It's okay, Tim. She had my permission. :P And no, I don't think my grandmother would be interested in the Alien Pig Farm movie, but my mother might, lol! She thought the book was a hoot. And so she told my nephew about the books and now he's trying to get them before I can even get my hands on them. :rolleyes:

Oh Duh! Right, that's what I meant, your mother, not your Grandma!!

;)

- TB

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the sketch Jim did for my book.

jmdBPsketch.jpg

I love it. It compliments the opposing title page so well.

I am johnny-come-lately to the thread here (as usual), but glad you dig the doodle Noeland. I was hoping to see you at LBCC, sorry to hear you couldn't make it. the BBQ was delish and I met Richard Hatch of BSG! (nerded out on the poor guy) ;)

Cheers brotha,

--Jim :)

I got my contributor copies last week. They are incredible. Thanks Tim and Tom. I always remember seeing some of Jims Bad Planet work on Tom's laptop and it blew me away in Black and white. So it's great to see it all collected in this format. Thanks again to Tom and Tim for letting me contribute. RAW gave me some of the most fun I've ever had on a story. All companies should work this way.

Guest AdminGuyX
I am johnny-come-lately to the thread here (as usual), but glad you dig the doodle Noeland. I was hoping to see you at LBCC, sorry to hear you couldn't make it. the BBQ was delish and I met Richard Hatch of BSG! (nerded out on the poor guy) ;)

Cheers brotha,

--Jim :)

I did the same thing when I met him at a show in Orlando. But he was the nicest guy about it, and he gave me a whole bunch of free swag for "The Great War of Magellan."

I was looking forward to seeing you too. I'm determined to get out there for SDCC next year, and if the planets line up, maybe LBCC too.

Thanks again for the cool doodle!

Dave! I really enjoyed your painted pages in both color and grayscaled. It was a very nice addition to the story and really helped define and separate the times and places. What do you have cooking now days?

• 5 months later...

FINALLY got my copy of the Bad Planet B&W trade edition!!!! YESSSSS!! It totally ROCKS!! So I finally get to show off the awesome sketch that Jim Daly did for mine.

Edit: My first scan was crappy, and I sent Tim a better scan, which he has graciously uploaded a couple of posts down.

Thanks again, Tim, Jim, TJ and mystery guest #4. ;)

You got the bonus - The mystery guest's signature is none other than that of The Master Of The Macabre hisself, Bernie Wrightson!

Also - I inked the Daly pencils here. Wasn't sure if I told you I was going to do that.

Cheers Dawn and thank you as always for your tremendous support!!!

- TB

PS - Yeah, JWeb, the little teaser thing for BP was one of two little video teasers we did to promote Bad Planet way back when ;)

Cool that you found it. I'll ask TJ if we're going to do more for VOLUME II

You got the bonus - The mystery guest's signature is none other than that of The Master Of The Macabre hisself, Bernie Wrightson!

Also - I inked the Daly pencils here. Wasn't sure if I told you I was going to do that.

Cheers Dawn and thank you as always for your tremendous support!!!

- TB

OMG!!! What a bonus!! A Bernie Wrightson signature!! That is WAY too cool, Tim!! Thanks again a million for hooking that up for me. I'll treasure that one always! And the inks are out of this world!! I didn't know you were going to do that, but it rocks!

Amazing job, everyone!

Not sure if I said it before, but damn do I love that all these sketches are almost all completely different renderings. A collage, one set in predominate shadow, bust shots, Street and Daly collabs. Please tell me we can have another go at this when the color edition comes out!

I'm also typing this while on allergy tablets... drowsiness fucks with my vocabulary. Hopefully this will make sense in the morning.

Oh, Tim, I don't know if you got my email, but I'll ask this question here too, mostly cuz I'm just curious about it. Did you happen to get a scan of the first sketch that Daly did for me? The one that disappeared into that dark, ethereal place known as the US Postal Service?!! I'm almost afraid to think about what I had and what got away from me.

Oh, and one more question for Thomas (or Tim- whoever wants to answer it). When was the idea for this story originally conceived? And how long was it from conception to fruition?

Not sure if I said it before, but damn do I love that all these sketches are almost all completely different renderings. A collage, one set in predominate shadow, bust shots, Street and Daly collabs. Please tell me we can have another go at this when the color edition comes out!

I completely agree, xNLx! That's why I will treasure this forever, and why I was so bummed about the first one I bought getting lost. And I second the motion to do the same with the color edition. Pleeease!!

Oh, Tim, I don't know if you got my email, but I'll ask this question here too, mostly cuz I'm just curious about it. Did you happen to get a scan of the first sketch that Daly did for me? The one that disappeared into that dark, ethereal place known as the US Postal Service?!! I'm almost afraid to think about what I had and what got away from me.

Oh, and one more question for Thomas (or Tim- whoever wants to answer it). When was the idea for this story originally conceived? And how long was it from conception to fruition?

I second the motion to do the same with the color edition. Pleeease!!

As I communicated to MF late last night, we didn't think to scan the previous sketch that Jim did in the 'lost book'.

But I do know that it was a sketch not too awfully different from this one, a convict bust shot, though it was completely pnciled and inked by Jimbo Daly.

Somewhere, someone has a nice book. Fuckers.

As for the story , the conception of Bad Planet . . . I must stay mum. This territory is covered in depth in the GIANT BAD PLANET COLOR TRADE, available this summer ;)

It's actually no secret. We've spoken about it a lot over the past few years in interviews and the like. A bit of surfing should shed light.

Jim and I are always ready and willing to drop sketches into books our members order. When the book becomes available we'll make the same offer as we did with the black and white.

Now I gotta hope I left a nice blank page ;)

- TB

PS - MF came through with flying colors and got me a damn nice scan of her sketch. Here it is!

ConvictJDIIITB2010.jpg

As I communicated to MF late last night, we didn't think to scan the previous sketch that Jim did in the 'lost book'.

But I do know that it was a sketch not too awfully different from this one, a convict bust shot, though it was completely pnciled and inked by Jimbo Daly.

Somewhere, someone has a nice book.

My sentiments exactly, Tim. I would love to know who ended up with that. Still makes me sick to think of someone, somewhere getting a freebie. On me! And with a Daly sketch to boot!

Fuckers.

I second that.

As for the story , the conception of Bad Planet . . . I must stay mum. This territory is covered in depth in the GIANT BAD PLANET COLOR TRADE, available this summer

It's actually no secret. We've spoken about it a lot over the past few years in interviews and the like. A bit of surfing should shed light.

Yeah, I've heard both you and Thomas talk about it in interviews, and I read the introduction that Thomas wrote for the b&w trade, which kinda made me curious how long it took you to get it from an idea to actually seeing it in print. But I can wait for the color trade to hear the whole story. Just one more reason to eagerly look forward to it.

Oh, and thanks for adding that newer scan of the sketch. Sorry about the crappy first one. My scanner and I weren't getting along too well last night. But we've worked things out amicably. I tried to upload a better version of the one that you have, but I couldn't. Don't know if it was just me, or if photobucket was just being picky. But thanks again for adding that. Looks so much better than the first one. :P

Not at all MF, thank YOU!

Oh, from concept to fruition . . . Lemme see.

Jane first told me about/acted out his base idea for Bad Planet in . . . March of 2004 I want to say.

We met again while he was doing promo for Punisher here in SD.

There was an aborted startup with artist Chris Bolton while I was in Italy working on an animated film for 7 months.

We got things rolling again when I got back in December of '04.

We spent some time trying to find the right artist and we finally got Lewis LaRosa involved in the summer of '05.

Lewis began illustrating Bad Planet in September of '05.

We lost Lewis for good (personal issues) in December of '05 after drawing an issue and a third.

Bad Planet #1 came out in December of '05 (I think) ;)

So in our case it was about a year and a half, but it's not like we had our full attention on it the whole time.

There were gaps where Tom was working, then there was a period of time that went by before Jane and Niles got together, then they had to write it.

Then all of the conceptual began to come in from Chris Bolton, which was fantastic by the way.

Chris drew a few pages before Tom realized that Chris planned to draw it in a kind of cartoony style, which wasn't really what we wanted.

Then a 2 month lag before I returned from Italy/search began for new artist.

Then factor in that Lewis is a tremendous artist but not the quickest gunslinger in Dodge ;) Good art takes time.

And it took a long time cause we were also learning how to create and develop a project and then had to learn the whole publishing end of things.

It was well worth the time.

Lycan has been in development HELL. I'm just saying that cause it's been on my mind lately.

Our third series has had some big delays cause Farmer got pulled off of finishing up on Lycan to write Devil's Commandos with me.

Then he got real busy. As a matter of fact, Todd's down in Shreveport as we speak, on set of his new film Drive Angry, starring Nick Cage.

Yer gonna love it!

Lycan is still waiting around patiently and we're always on the lookout for the perfect artist.

If you happen to know any young Bernie Wrightson's let us know ;)

Thanks for filling in the gaps for me, Tim. I remember hearing about all the stops and starts and the aborted first attempt to get it off the ground. Sounds like it was a wild and crazy ride, but in the end it was well worth the wait. At least for the fans. I don't know if it was for you guys. ;)

Looking forward to more of this.

• 1 month later...

Awesome, rpace -

Belated welcome to the boards.

Yep, we are finally releasing the trades we had printed up from last summer. The oversized hardcover Bad Planet is SUPER awesome, and the Pig Farm trade is sweet dynamite ;)

And we should be seeing the FULL COLOR softcover DELUX jam-packed edition real soon.

It has to journey from Korea on a big boat ;)

Unveiling those at COMICON, though it's very likely we'll be offering them to our gang here first.

Not sure when we are soliciting the big full color trade.

I'll keep ya's posted.

xo - tb

Awesome, rpace -

Belated welcome to the boards.

Yep, we are finally releasing the trades we had printed up from last summer. The oversized hardcover Bad Planet is SUPER awesome, and the Pig Farm trade is sweet dynamite ;)

And we should be seeing the FULL COLOR softcover DELUX jam-packed edition real soon.

It has to journey from Korea on a big boat ;)

Unveiling those at COMICON, though it's very likely we'll be offering them to our gang here first.

Not sure when we are soliciting the big full color trade.

I'll keep ya's posted.

xo - tb

Thanks -- happy to be here!

Huh. . .

The descriptions in Diamond list Bad Planet and APF as full colour trade paperbacks shipping this July. Did they list them wrong? Or are you teasing of even better editions later?

~R