Angelina Jolie as Scarpetta?

I don't know if anyone has ever read any of Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels, but I have. I've read every one of them and count myself as a huge fan of the series. Rumors of bringing this character to the screen have been swirling for years, with early names like Dana Delaney and the ever-talented (pre-Oscar and Golden Globe winner, of course) Helen Mirren as possible contenders for the role of the prickly, uber-intelligent, uber-sophisticated Kay Scarpetta.

Now it looks like Angelina Jolie has signed on to play the role of Scarpetta, with hopes of possibly turning it into a franchise.

As a long-time Scarpetta fan, and a sometime Jolie fan, I'm not sure I see her as Kay Scarpetta. I hope that she can do it justice, for sure, or I will be sorely disappointed (and po'd). :blink:

After her performance in The Changeling, I'd like to think that she has the serious acting chops to handle the character, so I'll reserve judgement.

Has anyone else read these books? What are your thoughts on this?

Who else could possible play Scarpetta? Suggestions?