One-Eyed-Jacks

Spaghetti Western Films

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Once Upon A Time In The West

For A Few Dollars More

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorites is Dead Man with a list of actors starting with the very talented Johnny Depp. This film is not like typical westerns. It has a great score by Neil Young which has a really grungy slide guitar and just makes it so pleasing to listen to. The plot is not complex in certain parts but the chemistry is great. Plus the fact that the Native American in the film, named Nobody takes Johnny in and thinks he's William Blake, the poet. Great film. If you haven't seen it, it's worth a look. Oh, and it's shot in black & white. Cool.

-JO

¡Three Amigos!: Another Western comedy I love.

3 amigos was stupidly funny. It's really fun to watch.

For comedy westerns, my favorites are Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter, along with McClintock. All three of those crack me up. I could watch 'em all day.

Two of those also feature two of my favorite actors, James Garner and Harry Morgan. Both of those guys are great. They are so versatile it's fun to watch them in anything.

Mediumfan

SHOT in THE FRONTIER, Larry, Mo and Shemp. it's only 16 minutes long, can we call it a mini western comedy?
Blazing Saddles. :)

HEY!!! NO FAIR! you got to DEATH SPIDER LARVA before me!...I'm telling mom.

Blazing Saddles. :)

Jeeesh, this is up there on a higher plane with SLAPSHOT! GREAT CHOICE!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen The Hi-Lo Country with Woody Harrelson and Billy Crudup and Patricia Arquette? This one is not a rousing, cowboys and Indians, shoot-em-up western in the classic sense, but it is a very good movie. It's more of a dramatic story about two cowboys in the Southwest trying to hold on to the cowboy ways at a time when cowboys were in danger of becoming obsolete. It's also a love story, so true western fans might not like it, but I really enjoy it.

Mediumfan

Has anyone seen The Hi-Lo Country with Woody Harrelson and Billy Crudup and Patricia Arquette? This one is not a rousing, cowboys and Indians, shoot-em-up western in the classic sense, but it is a very good movie. It's more of a dramatic story about two cowboys in the Southwest trying to hold on to the cowboy ways at a time when cowboys were in danger of becoming obsolete. It's also a love story, so true western fans might not like it, but I really enjoy it.

Mediumfan

I pretty much will watch anything with Woody Harrelson, I enjoyed HI-LO country, in some ways, (maybe the love story angle?) it reminded me of LEGENDS of THE FALL on a smaller scale.

Well, it was easy for me to start this thread with a western that I hated because there are just not a lot of westerns that I hate. HEAVENS GATE sure the hell is on the top of the list.

It's damn near impossible for me to pick an all time favorite western. It'd be like trying to pick the best chocolate chip cookie I ever ate! Couldn't do it! To begin with I think there is 2 eras of westerns, pre 1970 and post 1970. Westerns seemed to change alot in the 70s.

The post 1970 movies are just a lot of fun to watch. Hollywood finally got over the good guys wear white and bad guys wear black mentality and some great story lines started to appear.

Of the most recent westerns I'd have to say a couple that I just loved were THE MISSING with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchette, directed by Ron Howard.

And OPEN RANGE, with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall and Annette Bening, directed by Costner.

I think Costner and Duvall are just natural Cowboys, they look like they belong on a horse with a colt hanging on the hip.

A western I can watch when ever it is on is QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER, it really is predictable and cheesy in spots, but I just love the damn thing. Tom Selleck is another actor who just seems to turn into a cowboy at will. From his TV SACKETTS to QUIGLEY and all his other television western movies (CROSSFIRE TRAIL, another one I love, yes predictable and cheesy!) he looks the part always.

I pretty much will watch anything with Woody Harrelson, I enjoyed HI-LO country, in some ways, (maybe the love story angle?) it reminded me of LEGENDS of THE FALL on a smaller scale.

Yeah, it does kinda remind me of Legends of the Fall. And Woody Harrelson is great in it. Love that movie.

Mediumfan

Heretell from a very reliable source (Kevin Costner) he plans to do a sequel to Open Range in the near future.

Here's hoping...

Man, that would be very sweet! I'll see any Costner western, but a sequel with that same character would be sweet!

Here's something that is really exciting to me. One of my favorite westerns of all time is getting a revisit.

Variety is reporting that Simon Wincer is going to direct a sequel to Dances with Wolves. I wonder if Costner is going to be in that one as well. That would be fan-damn-tastic. I loved that movie.

It's being written by Michael Blake, who wrote Dances with Wolves, as well as the books on which it is based, so it should be good. It's called Holy Road.

Great title.

Mediumfan

Archived