Vin Diesel talks about third Riddick

SonOfTheDark

Chinlund rocks. He needs to be in more stuff. He's always so entertaining to me. Maybe he'll be cast as Marcus if there is ever a Gears of war movie. I think he would be a good Eddie Brock/ Venom, if that movie will ever come out.

New Riddick sounds good. I loved Pitch Black, and I hope it is just as good.

• 1 year later...

Riddick begins casting; character descriptions

”Riddick” , writer/director David Twohy’s long-awaited second sequel to ”Pitch Black”, is finally headed before the cameras with Vin Diesel back under the shades as the intergalactic rebel rouser.

Heard today that casting has begun, with casting director Anne McCarthy, who cast “Pitch Black” and “Chronicles of Riddick” but also James Wan’s “Insidious”, bringing in actors to test for the supporting roles. I know one of the actors going in for the film – not too difficult to work out who – and everything he/she has been told so far is that it’s an exciting project with big-time potential.

Here’s who they’re scouting for at the moment :

Boss Johns

Santana

the sexy female merc Dahl

The smug commander Krone

All good parts. Fun stuff in there.

The script for the film, which is a more tighter, intimate and suspenseful ride than the previous film in the series (”Chronicles of Riddick”), might just be perfect – but I won’t be reviewing it, just giving you the heads up on what Twohy’s got in store for us and my take on it.

In a nutshell, the movie sees Riddick back on a barren planet, surrounded by monsters and mercenaries – both species who want him dead and vice versa.

Though there’s a couple of potential cameos from previous Riddick movie faves, it’s mostly fresh blood this time surrounding the big guy. And speaking of fresh, the character seems to have gotten a welcome, kick-ass overhaul….he’s more brutal, bad-ass and virile (as some may say) than he was in the previous films.

There’s a real sense of fun here. The dialogue is delicious and the characters are not only memorable, they’re a blast to be around – particularly our hero whose discovered both a charming sense of humour and personality along the way.

More so, ”Riddick” is a direct sequel to ”Pitch Black” – the events tie into that film. In much the same way the upcoming ”Dark Knight Rises” will tie up any loose threads and plot points from Batman Begins, Riddick will return to the mystery and monsters at the centre of ”Pitch Black.” That’s a good thing because, let’s admit it, the original rocked.. the sequel sucked.

Not to say there isn’t a link to the last Riddick adventure.

After a brief introduction in which were reunited with Riddick, surrounded by monsters, on a barren planet… we flash back to how Riddick ended up there.

We meet LORD MARSHAL Riddick. Nobody much likes that Riddick’s royalty now (he loves it; he gets to screw hot chicks) – as evident by the assassins that try and take him out at any and every opportunity – especially the necromancers, who are dead against the anointment of a furyan as a leader.

In exchange for the title, Riddick’s reluctant right-hand man and necro Vaako (Karl Urban’s character from the previous film; Urban will likely do it since the character is only in it for a short while) agrees to drop Riddick off at his home, Furya.

One thing leads to another and, much like the first film, Riddick finds himself stranded on a monster-infested planet. Instead of it leading to a rescue mission, his distress beacon catches the attention of a couple of merc teams (it would seem Vaako had dispatched them to kill Riddick while he’s isolated; not entirely true) who go after him with ill intentions.

One of the teams is lead by someone connected to an old enemy… someone from ”Pitch Black”.

*SPOILER*

Someone with the surname ‘Johns’.

Boss Johns and subordinate Santana ultimately get their hands on Riddick and shackle him up where they plan on torturing (Santana, with his machete) and killing him. But before then, Boss Johns wants answers – mostly, he wants to know what really happened to his son – William J. Johns (Cole Hauser in Pitch Black), who, with his prisoner Riddick, crash landed on an alien planet and (unlike Riddick) didn’t return. Knowing Boss Johns will never believe what happened to his son (indistinguishable monsters), Riddick snaps back with a cheeky retort involving felacio.

*END SPOILER *

And of course, that one works out in Riddick’s favour too – as does the rest of his run-ins with the mercenaries. If Riddick doesn’t get ‘em, the monsters do.

There’s not much of a mention of Furya (and no mention of the Underverse) but there’s a sequence involving a fellow countryman (Alpha Kid – He’s about 12-years-old and is, with his oversized armour and assault rifle, not unlike one of those young guerrilla soldiers in Somalia. Mother was murdered. His eyes light up like Riddick’s. He has some magical powers; thinking this could be young Riddick) and a flashback and mention of Radha Mitchell’s character.

We’ll let you know who snags the roles here, they should be locked in within the next few weeks, and continue to update you on the film’s progress; I think this is going to be a wildly entertaining ride kids.

http://www.moviehole.net/201143902-exclusi...er-descriptions

Oh man, I wish TJ would play Johns :P

• 5 months later...

Official press release about the start of filming + cast additions:

Universal Pictures, One Race Films and Radar Pictures announced today that principal photography has begun on the action-driven, sci-fi thriller Riddick. The shoot will take place in Montreal.

The latest chapter of the groundbreaking saga that began with 2000's hit sci-fi film Pitch Black and 2004's The Chronicles of Riddick reunites writer/director David Twohy (A Perfect Getaway, The Fugitive) and star Vin Diesel (the Fast and Furious franchise, xXx). Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Riddick, a dangerous, escaped convict wanted by every bounty hunter in the known galaxy.

The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he's encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won't leave the planet without Riddick's head as their trophy.

Riddick also sees the return of Karl Urban (Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy) as Vaako and introduces to the series Jordi Molla (Bad Boys II, Colombiana) as Santana, the arrogant captain of the mercenary ship; Matt Nable (Killer Elite) as Boss Johns, a man looking for answers; Katee Sackhoff (TV's Battlestar Galactica) as the Nordic mercenary Dahl; and Bokeem Woodbine (upcoming Total Recall) as bounty hunter Moss. Rounding out the cast are Dave Bautista (The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption), Conrad Pla (Immortals), Raoul Trujillo (Apocalypto), Nolan Funk (TV's Aliens in America) and two-time Grammy Award-nominated singer Keri Hilson.

The film is produced by Vin Diesel (upcoming Fast & Furious 6, Fast Five) and executive produced by Samantha Vincent (Fast Five, Fast & Furious) for One Race Films. Ted Field (The Last Samurai, Pitch Black) produces for Radar Pictures, while Mike Drake (Dream House, A Nightmare on Elm Street) also executive produces.

Twohy is joined on the film by a talented behind-the-scenes team, including director of photography David Eggby (Pitch Black, Mad Max), production designer Joseph Nemec III (A Perfect Getaway, The Hills Have Eyes, Terminator 2: Judgment Day) and editor Tracy Hall (Limitless, A Perfect Getaway, The Flock).

The Riddick franchise has also produced two popular video games: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. As well, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has released the anime DVD The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury.

Riddick, which is shooting in Montreal, Canada, is a One Race Films production. The film will be released by Universal Pictures in the U.S., and Lionsgate is handling international sales.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86597

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A first look at some of the Mercs (including Dave Bautista), Katee Sackhoff and a creature plus more Riddick:

http://collider.com/vin-diesel-riddick-images/151176/

http://collider.com/riddick-image/152255/

http://collider.com/katee-sackhoff-riddick-images/152707/

And here is an interesting post from David Eggby on Cinematographer.org:

Hello all,

'Riddick,' the long awaited follow-up to 'Chronicles of Riddick' and 'Pitch Black' began principal photography on 23/1/12 in Montreal, Quebec. It is good to be back working with Writer/Director David Twohy and Actor/Producer Vin Diesel after all the success we had with 'Pitch Black.'

In 'Riddick,' Twohy has cleverly created a story using key elements that audiences loved about 'Pitch Black' and still keeping the mythology of the Riddick universe.

The look of the film will be as stylized as 'Pitch Black' but on a bigger scale and with a greater scope. Currently we are shooting in the studio where the blockbuster '300' was shot. We are working on 4 stages with full sets. The biggest challenge

is the ceiling height of 32 feet. The Alien landscapes fill all the floor space and we are also shooting 360 degrees. We have 500 feet of Green screen and Black material rigged on rails in just one stage alone.

Similar to Pitch Black, the Alien planet suns are unlike Earth.

I decided to light with large Lame reflectors, a technique I used before to create a moonscape, but this time on a much larger scale. We ended up purchasing 40 Gold/White Lames 20' x 8' and rigging them to the ceiling rafters and bouncing two 10k Fresnel lamps into each. Gold sided with Yellow gels for day and double Chocolate gels for night, and flipping to white side Tungsten for the fill. It is working out great and blends into what is like a single source.

I am shooting with 2 ARRI Alexas, recording Raw data with the Codex on board recorders and using Master Primes and Optimo Zooms lenses. 'Riddick' is only my second feature using a digital system and I have to admit I love the Alexa. Can't wait to use the new Alexa Studio 4:3 chip and optical viewfinder. Sky's the limit. Am rating at the native 800 ASA. Takes a little getting used to but it's all the same math. Just sees into the shadows a little too much. Looking forward to the DI next year, to see if the camera's 14 stops latitude combined with the Codex ARRI Raw file lives up to the expectations.

Thank goodness we are shooting in studio right now. I'm not big on Montreal winters. We are midway through and I am looking forward to getting back home early April.

Cheers,

David Eggby ACS

Follow the link for three more set pics:

http://www.cinematographer.org.au/01_cms/details.asp?ID=730

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

First Full Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA

Looks very good. It looks cool visually, considering the lower budget. I'm glad that David Eggby came back as the DP. All the Merc actors seem to fit pretty well and the creatures look good too. Can't wait :)

By the way, the official website is online too:

http://www.riddickmovie.com