Dolph Lundgren's The Punisher

If you live in L.A., the New Beverly Cinema shows some awesome stuff for us fanboys.

On April 18th, it's the All Day Dolph Lundgren Film Fest:

400PM RED SCORPION (1989)

600PM UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (1992)

800PM ROCKY IV (1985)

1000PM THE PUNISHER (1989)

1200AM I COME IN PEACE (1990)

Apparently, this is the first L.A. theatrical screening of the 1989 Punisher, and Director Mark Goldblatt will be there for a Q & A.

I have to admit, I saw both RED SCORPION and I COME IN PEACE on the big screen when they were released. Nostalgia just might get the best of me and get me to the New Beverly on 4/18.

If you live in L.A., the New Beverly Cinema shows some awesome stuff for us fanboys.

On April 18th, it's the All Day Dolph Lundgren Film Fest:

400PM RED SCORPION (1989)

600PM UNIVERSAL SOLDIER (1992)

800PM ROCKY IV (1985)

1000PM THE PUNISHER (1989)

1200AM I COME IN PEACE (1990)

Apparently, this is the first L.A. theatrical screening of the 1989 Punisher, and Director Mark Goldblatt will be there for a Q & A.

I have to admit, I saw both RED SCORPION and I COME IN PEACE on the big screen when they were released. Nostalgia just might get the best of me and get me to the New Beverly on 4/18.

That's fuckin sweet. Gosh I need to get over to Cali.

We fan girls can dig it, too! ;)

I loved I Come in Peace and Universal Soldier and I would walk around doing Dolph Rocky IV impressions, "I must break you." "Yo, go for it!"

Oh, goodness - how I miss late 80s / early 90s cinema! Honestly.

I wish I lived in LA if only for being able to go to the New Beverly Cinema. I mean there's a theater by me that shows limited release stuff and older films, they're showing John Carpenter's The Thing in month, so I'll be getting checking that out and having a few beers (they serve booze, which is just awesome). But it's nothing on the level of the New Beverly.

• 1 month later...

Two weeks until the Dolph Lundgren "I Must Break You" all day movie marathon at the New Beverly Cinema, where they will be showing the Director's Cut of the 1989 THE PUNISHER, followed by a Q & A with Director Mark Goldblatt.

Who's in?

• 2 weeks later...

Caught THE PUNISHER (1989) in its first ever West Coast big screen outing. This was the international version and is essentially unrated. This was the cut of the movie that was turned in before the MPAA sent them a long list of cuts to get an R.

Director Mark Goldblatt was there. He is an incredibly accomplished editor who has many amazing action movies on his resume. Check him out on IMDB. I asked him how the project came to him and he said after directing DEAD HEAT, New World approached him with PUNISHER. He said they loved DEAD HEAT until it came out and did no business.

I also asked him about casting and he said that Dolph was not the first choice. Apparently Christopher Lambert was supposed to do it, but was suffering from an injury and would not recover in time to do the picture. They kicked around other ideas, then Dolph's name came up. Mark met with him, thought he was a cool guy and off they went.

New World had put some money into an operation in Australia, but had yet to make a picture there, so after scouting various cities in North America, they were approached about Australia, scouted there and decided to shoot there. This also gave them a bigger budget than they were expecting, 9 1/2 million and a 50 day shooting schedule.

Mark said that the issue of the Punisher not having a skull on his chest has come up for years and if he could, he would CGI a skull onto Dolph's chest now because he thinks it was a mistake to leave it off. He said the woman who designed Dolph's costume worked on the MAD MAX movies and they were going for heavy leather to protect him from falls and injury. They wanted to shy away from the idea of spandex and a big skull. They put the skull on his knives and made that his calling card.

Mark also said that the picture originally opened with an 18 minute sequence of Frank Castle before becoming the Punisher. Frank and Lou Gossett Jr's character were partners going after the crime boss that's killed in what is now the opening sequence. Nancy Everhard went undercover as a hooker in a sting operation gone wrong. (She refers to it in the finished film when she meets Lou.) This led to the mob going after Frank's family. So apparently you got to know Frank Castle and meet his family, but when they tested it, they realized that it was more powerful to just start with the Punisher and hint at Frank's past with flashbacks.

The print we saw was Mark's personal print. He was approached about doing a Special Edition DVD a few years ago, but the person who wanted to buy the rights and put out the DVD with commentary and extras was unable to track down who actually owns the rights. Mark doesn't know either. After he finished the film in 1989, the company went broke, sold off its assets and the movie was dumped to DVD, though it played theatrically overseas.

I've only ever seen this movie on a VHS bootleg 20 years ago, so it was great to see it on the big screen and it's actually much better than I remembered. For all of its flaws, it's nowhere near as ridiculous as PWZ. It was a great time at the movies with a virtually sold out theater.

Love me some Tom Cody. Just turned someone new onto STREETS OF FIRE the other day. I try to do that about once a year or so. Would have loved to have seen the sequels they had planned THE FAR CITY and THE RETURN OF TOM CODY.

But according to IMDB, the Michael Pare thing is a rumor and Mark Goldblatt did not mention him last night.

Have you seen Road to Hell, that is suppose to be a sequel or at least a spiritual sequel to Streets of Fire, I want to see it, but then again I heard it was pretty bad. Hill needs to make more movies, to think he could have directed Punisher: War Zone, and after seeing Last Man Standing for the first time in years, he really would have been perfect.

Streets of Fire is one fucking great movie! Great soundtrack and a REALLY hot young Diane Lane! Ahhhhhhhhh. :-)

Love me some Tom Cody. Just turned someone new onto STREETS OF FIRE the other day. I try to do that about once a year or so. Would have loved to have seen the sequels they had planned THE FAR CITY and THE RETURN OF TOM CODY.

But according to IMDB, the Michael Pare thing is a rumor and Mark Goldblatt did not mention him last night.

Streets of Fire is one fucking great movie! Great soundtrack and a REALLY hot young Diane Lane! Ahhhhhhhhh. :-)

Sledge hammer street fight, all that needs to be said.

I've heard that ROAD TO HELL is terrible, but I'm still very curious.

There's nothing better than watching STREETS OF FIRE with a first timer and seeing their reaction to the sledgehammer, the butterfly knife, etc. Incredible cast, great music, ahead of its time.

Apparently it was, but no one knows who owns the rights to it so it's a no go. There's always hope though, I mean Night of the Creeps is finally getting a DVD release, it might just take time.

I STILL play that soundtrack in my car! Great driving music!

I've heard that ROAD TO HELL is terrible, but I'm still very curious.

There's nothing better than watching STREETS OF FIRE with a first timer and seeing their reaction to the sledgehammer, the butterfly knife, etc. Incredible cast, great music, ahead of its time.

Apparently it was, but no one knows who owns the rights to it so it's a no go. There's always hope though, I mean Night of the Creeps is finally getting a DVD release, it might just take time.

Shit! Hopefully by the summer. The movie is nothing special, but it's still the punisher, and it's still a typical cheesy 80's film, damn it. Watched Commando the other night, for the first time in about 10 years, awesome movie. Laughed my ass off at the start when Arnold and his daughter were petting the deer :lol:

Mark Goldblatt (Director of 1989's The Punisher) actually edited COMMANDO.

Don't hold your breath for the DVD though. Doesn't sound like anyone is even looking into who has the rights. Whoever approached Mark a few years ago about doing it gave up when he couldn't untangle that mess.