The Last Time I Committed Suicide

origin1950

I'm surprised any other TJ film came up before this one. This one goes pretty far back for him. I had fun watchin this movie. Keanu has got to be the film's unofficial antagonist, he's responsible for Neal's overall downfall. Then again, Neal just didn't know how to say no. A good poster for peer pressure ain't it? Gretchen Mol is cute as hell in this movie, I wouldn't mind doing a makeout scene with her. One day maybe,

-TL

tjbeginspz1.jpg

Thomas Jane is Neal Cassady

Man, I love this movie. Great cast, especially with a very young Amy Smart.

Claire Forlani is a looker, too. So is the young blond that Tom dates early on, what's her name? Cherry?

I always want more after the damn movie is over there. I wanna know what happened to the girl and his friends and all that. Leaves me wantin' more.

-JO

TJ's lucky to be surrounded by all these hot chicks all the time. Claire and Amy are fuckin HOT dude. And in regards to what happened "after", we know it ends tragic. It gives ya the same kinda feeling I got from Jack Nicholson at the end of The Pledge. Men that are lost. The sandwich scene was funny.

-TL

Amy Smart is wonderful - and I mean that in a guy/testosterone way. She IS a good actress though. Road Trip. Thank the Lord for Road Trip. Everytime I watch TJ as Neal, he looks almost Identical to the way he looked when he played Switch (Junked). Supposedly Junked was shot in '02 - according to internet garbage. Dvd for it came out in '04. I'm willin to bet he shot Junked - BEFORE Last Time I committed Suicide. Anyone else pick up on this?

-TL

Amy Smart is wonderful - and I mean that in a guy/testosterone way. She IS a good actress though. Road Trip. Thank the Lord for Road Trip. Everytime I watch TJ as Neal, he looks almost Identical to the way he looked when he played Switch (Junked). Supposedly Junked was shot in '02 - according to internet garbage. Dvd for it came out in '04. I'm willin to bet he shot Junked - BEFORE Last Time I committed Suicide. Anyone else pick up on this?

-TL

I always assumed it was shot right after. He's got the same hairstyle and sideburns, build, etc. So I just always thought it was right after.

-JO

I've been thinking about buying it for awhile now... It's pretty cheap, so I was wondering about buying a full price DVD and then buy this on top of that. But I always forgot. Now, I'm thinking that, when I get my next paycheck- I'll just buy it alone.

I've been thinking about buying it for awhile now... It's pretty cheap, so I was wondering about buying a full price DVD and then buy this on top of that. But I always forgot. Now, I'm thinking that, when I get my next paycheck- I'll just buy it alone.

Lurve your avatar ReCoil! ;)

If you're into Tom because of his acting ability, I'd say definitely get The Last Time I Committed Suicide.

When I 1st saw it, it didn't totally hit me as a "lifestyle, mindset, type of filming" way (beat era, jittery, jazzed up Tom playing Neal C.) - it took me a few viewings to fully appreciate the film - where it was coming from, what it's trying to say, and it's place in looking at the beat poet history.

Jen

The dvd cover art for this film is BULLSHIT! Keanu looks nothin like that in the film, and he's not the lead in any way. The guy was chubby in this film - not lean and bearded. Good job Universal. Oh, and on the side of it is none-other than - a picture of KEANU. The Last Time I Committed suicide is not a KEANU movie. This film needs a re-release on dvd with a new cover and a widescreen cut of the film, not garbage full screen. Stephen Kay do somethin. The VHS cover did TJ more justice.

-TL

The dvd cover art for this film is BULLSHIT! Keanu looks nothin like that in the film, and he's not the lead in any way. The guy was chubby in this film - not lean and bearded. Good job Universal. Oh, and on the side of it is none-other than - a picture of KEANU. The Last Time I Committed suicide is not a KEANU movie. This film needs a re-release on dvd with a new cover and a widescreen cut of the film, not garbage full screen. Stephen Kay do somethin. The VHS cover did TJ more justice.

-TL

Yeah, Keanu was barely in the fuckin' thing. No beard either. They should have had the VHS cover for the DVD except different lettering. Ya know?

-JO

Alright let's get technical with Neal Cassady. It wasn't until I read an interview of TJ's where he explained a fuck-load about Neal - that I knew what this guy (Cassady) was really about. He signifies and is the epidemy of instability. The kinda guy that cannot maintain anything simple in life, erasing any chance of building routines. To some this may sound wonderful in a person (I myself prefer being spontaneous about life), but the truth is its actually a serious problem. Serious because it applies to everything. Neal really had no foundation for his lifestyle, it was a fuckin milkshake. His hidden turmoil is what makes this film powerful. The scene where he pictures normal American life indicates it was what he wanted all along, yet he was afraid of wanting it. It made him feel square.

Neal...

nealcassadybx5.jpg

Here's the more decent cover of the film, that unfortunately only reached VHS.

vhsgi0.jpg

"...So, all this an explanation of why Joan and I didn't live happily ever after. It's very simple, really...We were given no chance. Or perhaps we were given every chance and took none. I guess I coulda waited. Probably shoulda waited. But, as you know this was not the last time I committed suicide. And so love goes. And so life goes. And so I go. You carry on my Brother." -Thomas Jane as Neal Cassady

This is where TJ begins.

-TL

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed this film very much ... I knew "of" Neal Cassady during my Jack Kerouac phase ... To me, he remains the enigmatic friend and genuine person on the road. While others seemed to have lived and chronicled as they went, he lived it all, seemingly without much concern of formal documentation. I am deeply intrigued by what has been left unwritten ...

Thomas Jane's portrayal is loose and lovely, the character is really just a kid (19 or 20 years old) but seems quite old and world weary already. The film makes me nostalgic for an era in which I did not live ... how is that even possible? The magic of the beat generation and film, I suppose ...

• 4 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding like an old man, I have to say this movie has a great soundtrack. Picked it up cheap on Amazon when I couldn't find the DVD, and it really gave me a taste for Jazz. I'm sure I'll buy some more Jazz some day (when I'm older :-P) but this was a great intro to it.

• 1 month later...

I gotta say, this is one of my favourite TJ films.

I just love the way he acts in it. When I see him in his vest in the beginning, all I keep thinking is: Brando as Stanley in Streetcar Named Desire!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm surprised any other TJ film came up before this one. This one goes pretty far back for him. I had fun watchin this movie. Keanu has got to be the film's unofficial antagonist, he's responsible for Neal's overall downfall. Then again, Neal just didn't know how to say no. A good poster for peer pressure ain't it? Gretchen Mol is cute as hell in this movie, I wouldn't mind doing a makeout scene with her. One day maybe,

-TL

tjbeginspz1.jpg

Thomas Jane is Neal Cassady

This is a Great fuckin' movie! And from a woman's point of view....TJ is fuckin adorable in it! but then again, what movie isn't he hot in? YUMMY!

This is a Great fuckin' movie! And from a woman's point of view....TJ is fuckin adorable in it! but then again, what movie isn't he hot in? YUMMY!

Totally agree Aly...This movie is on the top of my list of favorites! He was f'n adorable and fantastic all in the same breath...LOL :rolleyes:

It's a great movie! So, what'dya think of it?

I really enjoyed it. Thomas Jane gave an excellent performance. Keanu Reeves was okay. I kept my eyes on Jane the entire time. I havn't watched it in a long time, but now I want to.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.