Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

Dredd

judgedreddposter2.jpg

Rebellion and 2000 AD have announced that a new Judge Dredd movie is in development.

Together with DNA Films, the movie production company behind such films as Danny Boyle's Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later, Judge Dredd will go into production in 2009.

Jason Kingsley, CEO and Creative Director said, "We can't give away too many details at this point, but we're looking forward to working with DNA Films to bring Judge Dredd back to the big screen."

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51465

A while back, we all collectively shuddered at the prospect of a new cinematic attempt at The Law. There’s an uphill battle facing the production team taking it on. Thankfully, it’s the same production team behind 28 Days Later and Sunshine. Double thankfully, we’ve also got some concept art with which to start the legitimate judging process.

Sci-Fi mecca i09 has secured some great images from Mark Simpson aka Jock, the artist behind ‘The Losers’ and, more notably, the Dredd comics.

Continue reading: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/new-...concept-art.php

The creator of Judge Dredd has claimed that the upcoming film reboot will be closer to the original comics than the 1995 Sylvester Stallone effort.

In an interview with 2000AD Review, John Wagner said that Alex Garland's script for the new film, and its accompanying concept art by comics illustrator Jock, are true to the source material.

"I have read the script and seen Jock's visuals. While I can't go into detail about the content I can say that it's high-octane, edge-of-the-seat stuff, and gives a far truer representation of Dredd than the first movie," he said.

"I hated that plot. It was Dredd pressed through the Hollywood cliché mill, a dynastic power struggle that had little connection with the character we know from the comic."

Video game developer Rebellion currently holds the rights to the property. A big screen reboot was announced in December 2008 when the studio teamed up with DNA Films.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/a200763...omics.html?imdb

The best way to get Cannes buyers hot and bothered is to come to market with a branded property that has potentially big commercial appeal, cool elements and a reasonable budget. Here's one that fits that bill: Andrew Macdonald’s DNA Films has made a deal with India-based Reliance Big Entertainment and IM Global to finance Judge Dredd, a 3D film that was scripted by Alex Garland, and will be directed by Pete Travis, best known for Vantage Point and Omagh. The film will be shopped at the festival by IM Global, in the first collaboration since Reliance bought a majority stake in Stuart Ford's foreign sales company.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/reliance-b...pre-sale-title/

Alex Garland is the writer! This has just jumped several notches for me.

Hey, Tim, when can you post your Dredd work? I see it's popped up on youtube.

Karl Urban as Judge Dredd?

We’ve been hearing word about the new Judge Dredd movie for quite some time. A step up from the Sylvester Stallone movie, it’s intended to be closer to the darker tone of the comic book. And it was all the buzz at Cannes earlier this year.

Well, Bleeding Cool now understands that Karl Urban will be offered the role of Judge Dredd in the new movie. Or at least Judge Dredd’s chin. Because one of the main provisos of the deal is that, just as in the comic, Judge Dredd will not remove his helmet. But of course that chin will now be seen in glorious three dimensions. And, contract willing, Karl Urban is of a mind to accept it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/21/sco...as-judge-dredd/

Karl Urban as Judge Dredd?

I guess he has an okay chin. I wonder if they compared the bottom half of different actors' headshots.

I hope that they do it correct this time around... Quit Drokking it up and make a good movie!

I think Karl Urban will do very well in the role.

Here is a photoshop manip of what he might look like as Dredd using a still of him from the movie "Doom" and a promoshot from the Judge Dredd fan film "Judge Minty":

jskarlurban2.jpg

Storywise, I was very worried that they'd fuck this up - up until a few days ago.

But if the script is any indication, it's off to a damn good start! The script is intense, thrilling, and kicks all kinds of ass. I can see why they want Pete Travis to direct, it has all the intensity of Vantage Point and them some.

If they don't tone it down in the transation from page to screen, if they give us all the brutality and nudity present, this is bound to be a cult classic.

Norse, now that Judge has been cast, who was rumored to be Dredd you mentioned a while back?

As for script, Alex Garland is amazing. Can't wait to see what he's done.

Urban is a good choice. Plus, the plan is to keep the fucking helmet on him for the whole film, so as long as they don't neuter it during production, this should be a good ass film.

Norse, now that Judge has been cast, who was rumored to be Dredd you mentioned a while back?

As for script, Alex Garland is amazing. Can't wait to see what he's done.

As I said back then, I didn't want to spread rumors that very well might have zero truth to them.

But the rumor which was in various Dredd discussions back then, was that Tom Jane was a contender.

He was certainly my ideal choice for a young Dredd, but I think Urban will do this more than justice.

The script by Garland is absolutely fantastic. It's gritty, hardcore, violent, high octane and any other synonym for kicking ass you can think of. Unless it's watered down somewhere in the process, this movie is going to own.

As I said back then, I didn't want to spread rumors that very well might have zero truth to them.

But the rumor which was in various Dredd discussions back then, was that Tom Jane was a contender.

He was certainly my ideal choice for a young Dredd, but I think Urban will do this more than justice.

The script by Garland is absolutely fantastic. It's gritty, hardcore, violent, high octane and any other synonym for kicking ass you can think of. Unless it's watered down somewhere in the process, this movie is going to own.

Jane does have the chin for Dredd, but Urban is damn fine choice. I couldn't be more happier that we are getting a new Judge Dredd film, the possibility of Jane doing the Cal McDonald/Criminal Macabre film, on top of Marvel going ahead with a new Punisher. All that news coming in at once is just plain awesome.

Yup, lots of good stuff happening!

Just to bad we still have such a long wait ahead of us before we actually get to see any of them on screen...

Collider Interview with Karl Urban:

http://www.collider.com/2010/07/23/karl-ur...confirms-dredd/

Well, it’s in its very, very early days, but I feel pretty safe to say “Yes. I am the law.” I’ve met with Pete Travis, Andrew McDonald and we’ve had a really wonderful meeting of the minds and long story short, they have offered me the role and we’re in the process of making that happen. You know, 25 years ago when I was working in a pizza parlor I was introduced to the character and the comic of Judge Dredd and it’s something that is pretty dear to my heart. To have the opportunity to play such an iconic and enigmatic character as Joe Dredd is a phenomenal opportunity and I’m really thrilled and looking forward to getting into it.

I believe it’s slated to start shooting in late October or early November in South Africa.

(About the rating) I’m honestly not too sure. I have just heard and it’s my understanding that it going to be harder, grittier, and above all faithful to the comic.

In the script that Pete is going to direct it’s very faithful to the comic book character. If anyone is familiar with Dredd, over the years there are many times when Dredd removes his helmet but you never fully see his face and that was construct by the creator, Mr. Wagner. He represents that faceless system of justice and law. I will say this, hypothetically if I went to a movie that was called “Judge Dredd” and the character or the actor who played Judge Dredd took the helmet and I would see his full face and features I would puke in my popcorn because that’s not Dredd. He’s mysterious and enigmatic. We’re going to do it right.

You know what? This Dredd is not going to be wrapped up in ego. This Dredd is going to be faithful. The cool thing about Dredd to me was that with Dredd you always know where he stands. His attitudes are strong. What he does is strong. He’s an iconic badass tough lawman with great ironic witty one liners set in this futuristic post apocalyptic world. I’m very excited about seeing this authentic and faithful adaption of that character and world on the screen.

I've been in a doodling mood as of late, so I figured I'd post this here.

I read the screenplay. Judge Dredd is an uncompromising character and I love it. It's dark and brutally violent. It's a very self contained, solid story and a great way to launch a franchise.

I don't want to get into spoilers, but I will say this... Rob Schneider won't be in this one!

Well, thank Jebus for that.

Also, I just came across this piece of Dredd art that Tim did.

dredd.jpg