Norrington flies with 'Crow' franchise

Tiara

“The Crow” will fly again.

Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of “The Crow,” based on the comic created by James O’Barr.

Ryan Kavanaugh’s Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film.

Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed screen transfer, in which rock musician Eric Draven is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance. Though the original became a gothic-style hit that grossed nearly $100 million worldwide, it is primarily remembered for a tragic accident in which star Brandon Lee was killed during filming.

For Norrington, “The Crow” deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with the Marvel Comics hero “Blade,” Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.” Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a film since.

Norrington said he felt demoralized by that experience, and the accomplished sculptor spent the next five years writing and working on his art. He made a deal to direct “Clash of the Titans” for Warner Bros., but left the project, he said, because he was “unable to excite Warner Bros. with my take, or influence the screenplay to any comfortable extent.” That pic goes into production early next year with Louis Leterrier at the helm.

Norrington resolved to focus on independent projects, and sparked to an approach on “The Crow” from Relativity production chief Tucker Tooley and Pressman. Norrington had a relationship with Pressman when they came close to making “Mutant Chronicles” several years ago. Both embraced Norrington’s vision of the antihero, which Norrington said will be different than the film Proyas made.

“Whereas Proyas’ original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style,” Norrington told Daily Variety.

Norrington is repped by Endeavor.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799736...=1&nid=2564

The Crow was the second date i ever had had with my wife (still have the ticket stubs). It was tragic, beautiful, and horribly prophetic.

The only way to start this again is to go back to the source material, the original graphic novel. It was very different than the movie version, but otherwise this re-boot will be a waste and an insult to the entire 1994 film and to Brandon.

Whichever direction they go, i still won't watch it, of course--i have my reasons--but it'd be nice to see them do it right.

I know I've been very critical of prejudging films, but this is going to SUCK. First of all, Pressman helmed the first film which resulted in the DEATH of Brandon Lee due to HORRIBLE mishandling of props...brought to you by budget cuts.

Second, a REMAKE...this close...with Brandon Lee's DEATH immortalizing the film? They really need to do a different O'Barr story or NOTHING AT ALL.

Plus, League was the BIGGEST piece of shit movie based off of an AMAZING comic book.

Fred

Okay, Okay, Okay...please tell me this thread was mislabeled. I hope I am not seeing what I think I am. They better not remake this film, pick any other one but this one. This is number 3 on my 10 favorite films of all time. I love the music, story, acting, cinematography, everything. It's perfect. Don't fuck it up!!!

XOXO

JO

Okay, Okay, Okay...please tell me this thread was mislabeled. I hope I am not seeing what I think I am. They better not remake this film, pick any other one but this one. This is number 3 on my 10 favorite films of all time. I love the music, story, acting, cinematography, everything. It's perfect. Don't fuck it up!!!

XOXO

JO

Sorry, it's not mislabled. I'm not liking this either. I did not see the last few flicks, but come on! A reboot? Correct me if I'm wrong, but are not the films all pretty much stand alone? The second one had one character that carried over, I don't remember the third one having anything to do with the last two, and I gave up on them after that. Just do another stand alone film. Fuck the reboot.

Guest AdminGuyX

The Crow was a pretty cool flick, and Brandon Lee was amazing. When he passed away it hit me pretty hard as a fan. I'd been reading about the film, and looking forward to it for a long while, and I'd been a fan of Brandon Lee's previous action films too, even the cheesy one he made with Lundgren had a certain charm thanks to him.

That said, I don't think I have an issue with going back and retelling the original Crow story with Eric Draven. It has the potential to be interesting, and different, and cool.

Norrington is infamously hard to work with and for, and he's had a very hard time getting new projects off the ground because his reputation was well earned, and usually precedes him. And to a degree, plagues him.

Personally, I think this could be a project to watch for. I hope so, though I must admit my first impression upon reading this stuff wa smet with a groan. It's treacherous, attempting something like this. Norrington will have his work cut out for him, but ultimately I predeict this film will not happen with Norrington directing, and won't happen now. 5 years maybe, with a stand up director looking to make a name for themselves maybe.

The Crow was a pretty cool flick, and Brandon Lee was amazing. When he passed away it hit me pretty hard as a fan. I'd been reading about the film, and looking forward to it for a long while, and I'd been a fan of Brandon Lee's previous action films too, even the cheesy one he made with Lundgren had a certain charm thanks to him.

That said, I don't think I have an issue with going back and retelling the original Crow story with Eric Draven. It has the potential to be interesting, and different, and cool.

Norrington is infamously hard to work with and for, and he's had a very hard time getting new projects off the ground because his reputation was well earned, and usually precedes him. And to a degree, plagues him.

Personally, I think this could be a project to watch for. I hope so, though I must admit my first impression upon reading this stuff wa smet with a groan. It's treacherous, attempting something like this. Norrington will have his work cut out for him, but ultimately I predeict this film will not happen with Norrington directing, and won't happen now. 5 years maybe, with a stand up director looking to make a name for themselves maybe.

Personally, I would've liked to see Zombie's version of a Crow film. He had it written but they never gave him funding. The script is amazing. I want to see that!

JO

Archived