Sign in to follow this  
Tiara

Jimmy Palmiotti

JimmyPalmiotti.jpg

Ever since he got his start as an inker in 1991, Jimmy Palmiotti has been one of the most in-demand comic creators in the business.

The Brooklyn native has had a long career working alongside some of comic's best creators, including writer Garth Ennis, Justin Grey and Marvel Comics Editor in Chief Joe Quesada.

Under the Marvel Knights banner, Palmiotti, along with Quesada, helped revive some of Marvel's best characters, including Daredevil, the Punisher, the Inhumans and Black Panther.

The two also created the creator-owned comic book "Painkiller Jane," which was turned into a short-lived TV show on the Sci-Fi Channel. Palmiotti served as writer and script consultant.

For DC Comics, Palmiotti teamed up with Grey and updated the western hero Johan Hex as well as joining the writing team on the weekly comic series "Countdown."

Recently the busy creator took the time out for an e-mail conversation about his new series "Back to Brooklyn" from Image Comics as well as the mini series "Terra" and the upcoming "Power Girl" series, both from DC Comics.

Q. How did you get your start in comics?

A. Went to the high school of art and design and studied art there, then off to college for advertising and after 8 years in that field, figured it was time for me to pursue my dream of working in comics, and I did by going up to the companies and showing samples and helping other artists with their deadlines. Eventually some editors gave me a shot and I have been working ever since.

Q. Who are some of your influences in writing and as an inker?

A. Writing, I would say a big number of non-comic writers really, everyone from Elmore Leonard to Stephen King, Peter Straub, Mickey Spillane and so on. Everything I have read influences me somehow, but the biggest influence on my writing has been traveling the world over. It's that kind of experience that makes you a well-rounded writer.

As an artist, I would say Frank Frazetta, Al Williamson, Jack Kirby, John Buscema, Moeibus, Geoff Darow, Jack Davis, Kevin Nowlan, Jordi Bernet, and that list goes on forever. I mean f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

Q. What makes a good inker?

A. Someone who can help the pencils gel so the work looks good for print.

For me, the best inkers enhance the penciler and give us something that is a unique combination. For me the best are Klaus Janson, Kevin Nowlan and Al Williamson. There are a lot of talented people that can give a clean line and such, but these are the standouts because when they are working it's collaboration.

Q. Do you think inkers get the credit they deserve or are they over shadowed by the pencilers?

A. Well, the pencilers start with a blank page, so they always deserve a hell of a lot more attention than the inkers. That said, I wish Marvel Comics would go back and start crediting the inkers on their covers and solicits again like they used to -- it's sad they stopped doing that -- and I wish both companies would start crediting colorists already.

Q. Is there any artist that you have not worked with as an inker who you'd like to?

A. A few, Jordi Bernet, Art Adams, Frank Miller, Frazetta and Joe Kubert. I pretty much have inked almost every major artist at one time or another.

Q. Over the last few weeks, three books you've written -- which range from the traditional superhero with "Terra" to the darker and more mature "Back to Brooklyn" and "Jonah Hex" which is somewhere in between. Is there one type of book you like to write over the other?

A. Yes, "Painkiller Jane" is the perfect title for me, a female lead that is an action hero. The best thing actually for me to work on is variety -- and an assortment of genres. One of anything can become rather boring so I try to keep it interesting by picking and choosing interesting projects.

Q. You're from Brooklyn, are there any experiences or people from growing up there that made it into "Back to Brooklyn"?

A. So many it's not funny and that's one of the reasons the book had to be done. My brain is a giant world book of experiences and stories, and what I try to do is apply them to the work I do. There is nothing more satisfying than finishing a series like "Back to Brooklyn." It's one less thing I have to worry about -- one less story I worry that I will never tell.

Q. For "B2B" you're working with Garth Ennis. How did your collaboration with him come about for this book?

A. We are good friends and I was telling him the idea I had and we decided to get together on this and collaborate. There is nothing more fun than working with someone you have a huge amount of respect for and really, this kind of project is just perfect for us. Anyone that knows us personally expects no less.

Q. Do you find that people are surprised at the darker tone of "Back to Brooklyn" as opposed to your other work such as "Countdown" or "Terra?"

A. Not really. I have a history with characters like Painkiller Jane and the Punisher and at the same time with lighter characters like Ash and Terra. I can't take any credit for "Countdown." That was a group effort that really wasn't much of me at all. The theme of all my characters I work on is that they all have a sense of chaos going on in their lives and they are trying to get it all under control. That theme is very telling in a number of ways.

Q. With "Terra", you're reintroducing a character with an interesting history. Will any of the Titians or Deathstroke make an appearance before the series is over?

A. Not a one, thank God. We do have Power Girl involved but its Terra's book all the way and for such a short miniseries we needed to get into her head and who she is without playing the crossover and convoluted game.

Q. Beyond the powers and genetics are there any more similarities between the two?

A. Yes, and as you read the series you will learn what they are. I don't want to spoil the story.

Q. Issue No. 2 featured Power Girl. When will her ongoing series be coming out?

A. May.

Q. What can fans look forward to with Power Girl's new book?

A. You can expect action, adventure, a character coming to terms with a new life and new friends, and a constantly entertaining story. We are giving this book our all and it shows. Amanda Conner is drawing some of the best work of her career.

News Production Editor Johnathan Hardick can be reached at 610-258-7171 or by e-mail at jhardick@express-times.com.

Source: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/john-hardi....xml&coll=3

Jimmy and I got our start in the comics industry in the same year ('91).

We followed each other's careers for a few years before we met and became the best of friends.

I wish the Hell he didn't live on the other coast 'cause Jimmy's a guy I'd hang out with all the time were we near. The same goes for JUSKO!

But you could never take the NYC outta Palmiotti, it just wouldn't be right ;)

Jimmy is one of those true blue fucking loyal guys who will never say a shit word about his pals and always gets behind them when the going gets tough.

The kid is class with a capital C.

The San Diego Comicon is always a blast when we all get together. I wish it happened quarterly instead of annually.

All Hail Palmiotti!

Wipe the corner of your mouth now, Tim. :-)

Jimmy and I got our start in the comics industry in the same year ('91).

We followed each other's careers for a few years before we met and became the best of friends.

I wish the Hell he didn't live on the other coast 'cause Jimmy's a guy I'd hang out with all the time were we near. The same goes for JUSKO!

But you could never take the NYC outta Palmiotti, it just wouldn't be right ;)

Jimmy is one of those true blue fucking loyal guys who will never say a shit word about his pals and always gets behind them when the going gets tough.

The kid is class with a capital C.

The San Diego Comicon is always a blast when we all get together. I wish it happened quarterly instead of annually.

All Hail Palmiotti!

He's also a pretty approachable guy on myspace. I love comic book people. Much easier to talk to and rub elbows with than most film folks and for thr most part WAY cooler. Jimmy is super cool.

Wipe the corner of your mouth now, Tim. :-)

Pssssst, hey . . . joe, do ya think they bought it? <_>

- tb

Jimmy is a machine. Prolific and talented.

I miss the days of Joe Q and him jamming on pages together.

Very down to earth. I was pretty blown away last year when he left a comment on one of my MySpace blogs.

Just a heads up on Back to Brooklyn, it is being illustrated by my very best friend Mihailo Vukelic. Misha's been working diligently for a few years now on that book and I encourage anyone to give this project a chance.

btb_by_Solon_Fyre.jpg

Yep, it's true.

Jimmy CAN dance!

- tb

Does he dance like "Dancing with the Stars", American Bandstand or Soul Train?

Please let it be Soul Train... :lol:

More like Leo Sayer. (Oooooooooo, showing my age!) LOL 'I CAN DANCE!!"

Does he dance like "Dancing with the Stars", American Bandstand or Soul Train?

Please let it be Soul Train... :lol:

More like American Bastard . . .

;)

- TB

So you mean he dances with you and then punches you in the face and then downs a tequila shot and laughs?

Just asking.... :blink: