Tim Bradstreet

Taken - Starring Liam Neeson

I really want to see this, but the reviews make it seem mediocre. I'll probably wind up seeing it anyway. I've never seen Liam as a bad ass before, except for Batman Begins.

As for Famke, she gets hotter with every birthday. I wanted to hate her in x3 and made, and I just couldn't. I guess I'm just weak. :P

Just got back from TAKEN. It was ok. I wish I had been more blown away by it. Neeson was fine, scarily at ease with his abilities, but maybe too much so as there really wasn't much suspense to speak of. There ARE a couple of unexpectedly bad ass things he does that brought a smile to my face, though I noticed one interrogation scene was somewhat edited down from the trailer. One major contrived plot device and a somewhat mundane ending kept it from being on my "gotta see over and over" list. On a side note, I LOVE Famke Janssen, but just loathed her character in this flick, and I'm not sure I was supposed to. Any movie that causes me to dislike Famke I have an issue with. LOL

Joe-

Couldn't agree with you more. Love Neeson. And I'd rather see something like this from the Luc Besson factory than any of the big blockbusters done by the hacks out there. But it is underwhelming. And I didn't buy Maggie Grace as a 17 year old for a second. She's trying really hard to be bouncy and bubbly and it got real annoying real fast.

I worship Famke Janssen and I'll watch anything she's in. Just got a screener of an indie called TURN THE RIVER. She's pretty good in it, but in the end her character does a bunch of shit that makes no sense. I was disappointed in her character and in her for taking what could've been a solid character piece and going forward with such a badly written third act.

Taken is worth a watch because of Neeson and some excellent action sequences.

Neeson's war is the main cog of the film, all that works pretty well, if not real well.

Famke is supposed to be a bitch (but there is some redemption there), and she does it convincingly. Hell, I wanted to punch her ;)

Maggie Grace was weak. Thankfully she's not in it too much. She's better at the end, but prior to that, everything before the kidnapping - Good Grief.

I keep seeing her stupid run (even now). She runs a lot in the first act, runs to a birthday gift, runs to her father, runs to get to her gate at the airport . . .

She runs like a 4 year old, which is fine for a 4 year old, but when Maggie Grace runs she looks like a fucking limp idiot.

But, throw all that out the window ('cause the pain is over relatively quick) and watch Neeson kick serious Eastern-Block ASS all the way through act's 2 and 3.

- TB

Maggie Grace was weak. Thankfully she's not in it too much. She's better at the end, but prior to that, everything before the kidnapping - Good Grief.

I keep seeing her stupid run (even now). She runs a lot in the first act, runs to a birthday gift, runs to her father, runs to get to her gate at the airport . . .

She runs like a 4 year old, which is fine for a 4 year old, but when Maggie Grace runs she looks like a fucking limp idiot.

- TB

Thanks, Tim. Now all I see is Maggie Grace running!

This movie has such good stuff in it. What were they thinking with her performance? And I don't have it in for the woman. I dug her on LOST, but notice how I said "woman". She's 25 and looks it. She has no business playing a precocious 17 year old. I hope someone involved was sleeping with her so at least they can use that as an excuse.

Thanks, Tim. Now all I see is Maggie Grace running!

This movie has such good stuff in it. What were they thinking with her performance? And I don't have it in for the woman. I dug her on LOST, but notice how I said "woman". She's 25 and looks it. She has no business playing a precocious 17 year old. I hope someone involved was sleeping with her so at least they can use that as an excuse.

The Maggie Grace acting can be rationalised to character - she was a spoilt naive teenager, closet by her mother and stepfather. Too much horseriding explains the run.

Andrew

I never said it wasn't worth seeing, it just wouldn't be on my "must see again" viewing rotation. It lacked that certain something for me, which was sad because this is SO my kinda flick and I'd been chomping at the bit to see it. It IS great seeing the kidnappers' reactions when they realize who he is. And I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do to Famke Janssen, but punching her isn't one of them. LOL Man, does she look great in this movie.

Taken is worth a watch because of Neeson and some excellent action sequences.

Neeson's war is the main cog of the film, all that works pretty well, if not real well.

Famke is supposed to be a bitch (but there is some redemption there), and she does it convincingly. Hell, I wanted to punch her ;)

But, throw all that out the window ('cause the pain is over relatively quick) and watch Neeson kick serious Eastern-Block ASS all the way through act's 2 and 3.

- TB

And I can think of a lot of things I'd like to do to Famke Janssen, but punching her isn't one of them. LOL Man, does she look great in this movie.

Joe, can we get some illustrations of this? Maybe a painting of your favorite thing?

The Maggie Grace acting can be rationalised to character - she was a spoilt naive teenager, closet by her mother and stepfather. Too much horseriding explains the run.

Andrew

Heheh, well certainly we can rationalize all day, that's the very nature of believing the things we see on screen. What works, what doesn't, and what we're willing to let go for the sake of an otherwise interesting structure/execution. What some people find annoying others don't. That's why I think talking film is so interesting. Maggie/the daughter took me out of the film somewhat because she annoyed me to a degree. I want to like here so as events unfold I'm invested. I want to feel that same attachment/longing that Neeson's character has for his daughter. But I didn't. I rationalized too. I just thought, 'if that was my daughter', that's how I got into it.

But Maggie, and/or direction of Maggie wasn't enough for me. Lot's of children lead protected, cloistered lives, or are spoiled by parent/parents to make up for a lack of giving them the attention and earnest love that they deserve. People are too often selfish when it comes to their world VS their kids, so how do you win that love back? The cheap way, they try and buy it. I get all that. But I also think it might have worked better if the daughter/father had more of a connection (as fathers and daughters so naturally do). Estrangement is a bitch, lots of baggage there. But anyone with a brain in their head, 17 or no, should be able to distinguish genuine affection from fakery. I like the idea that memories of her father could have been important to her, that she held on to them like a dream she had when she was little. Rich step dad, lavish gifts, an overprotective mom, are no substitute for an honest nurturing relationship. Certainly it's all she knows, but then there's dad. Someone who loves her unconditionally. The bond or connection between the two could easily come out in the performance. You don't want to bog the film down with too much set-up. But a little more may have helped. Or just adjusting the relationships dynamic slightly.

You can tell Liam and Famke really loved each other once, but she's too eternally pissed to really forgive him. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned - Or like a woman left to raise a child while dad is off protecting the country ;) I say I'd like to punch her but let's all realize that my comment is not to be taken seriously, just so I'm clear. The tension between the parents worked well. I just wasn't into the casting/directing of the father/daughter relationship.

But I got past it ;)

And JJ - Hopefully you don't think my thoughts pursuant to your comments implied you meant the film wasn't worth seeing.

Just weighing in on the subject since I hadn't yet ;)

And I still think Maggie runs like a goon!

- TB

Email and posting blows. LOL I don't think anyone (especially me) thought you were serious about punching her! :)

And Maggie DOES run like a goon! LOL

I'm off to see The Wrestler! Ciao!

Heheh, well certainly we can rationalize all day, that's the very nature of believing the things we see on screen. What works, what doesn't, and what we're willing to let go for the sake of an otherwise interesting structure/execution. What some people find annoying others don't. That's why I think talking film is so interesting. Maggie/the daughter took me out of the film somewhat because she annoyed me to a degree. I want to like here so as events unfold I'm invested. I want to feel that same attachment/longing that Neeson's character has for his daughter. But I didn't. I rationalized too. I just thought, 'if that was my daughter', that's how I got into it.

But Maggie, and/or direction of Maggie wasn't enough for me. Lot's of children lead protected, cloistered lives, or are spoiled by parent/parents to make up for a lack of giving them the attention and earnest love that they deserve. People are too often selfish when it comes to their world VS their kids, so how do you win that love back? The cheap way, they try and buy it. I get all that. But I also think it might have worked better if the daughter/father had more of a connection (as fathers and daughters so naturally do). Estrangement is a bitch, lots of baggage there. But anyone with a brain in their head, 17 or no, should be able to distinguish genuine affection from fakery. I like the idea that memories of her father could have been important to her, that she held on to them like a dream she had when she was little. Rich step dad, lavish gifts, an overprotective mom, are no substitute for an honest nurturing relationship. Certainly it's all she knows, but then there's dad. Someone who loves her unconditionally. The bond or connection between the two could easily come out in the performance. You don't want to bog the film down with too much set-up. But a little more may have helped. Or just adjusting the relationships dynamic slightly.

You can tell Liam and Famke really loved each other once, but she's too eternally pissed to really forgive him. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned - Or like a woman left to raise a child while dad is off protecting the country ;) I say I'd like to punch her but let's all realize that my comment is not to be taken seriously, just so I'm clear. The tension between the parents worked well. I just wasn't into the casting/directing of the father/daughter relationship.

But I got past it ;)

And JJ - Hopefully you don't think my thoughts pursuant to your comments implied you meant the film wasn't worth seeing.

Just weighing in on the subject since I hadn't yet ;)

And I still think Maggie runs like a goon!

- TB

For some reason the turn this thread has taken about punching Famke makes me think of a makeup artist I worked with last summer. One day she earned quote of the day on the call sheet when she said, completely out of the blue, "I like a good donkey punch now and then." To which I asked, "A good donkey punch as opposed to a bad one?" Her reply, "Oh, they can go wrong."

One thing I've been wondering is why the US market was left till last for release. I think I've figured out why from the previous comments about the daughter. European's view American's in a different light to how American's view themselves. I think this is evident in the direction of the daughter. I didn't have any issue with the way she was portrayed - I thought it was evidence of a Paris Hilton generation.

This is a European film not American.

Similar issues arose when Leone's films came out.

regards

Andrew

One thing I've been wondering is why the US market was left till last for release. I think I've figured out why from the previous comments about the daughter. European's view American's in a different light to how American's view themselves. I think this is evident in the direction of the daughter. I didn't have any issue with the way she was portrayed - I thought it was evidence of a Paris Hilton generation.

This is a European film not American.

Similar issues arose when Leone's films came out.

regards

Andrew

I just got back from the 10 am showing of this at my local theatre, it is a damned good movie. Non-stop breakneck pace...sometimes a bit predictable, but overall I'll be watching this multiple times when it hits cable abd dvd.

I'm going to check it out right after work. This will my reward for going through a tedious inventory count this month. I've only seen the trailer twice, but it still is staying fresh in my mind. Glad to hear it won't dissapoint.

I'm going to check it out right after work. This will my reward for going through a tedious inventory count this month. I've only seen the trailer twice, but it still is staying fresh in my mind. Glad to hear it won't dissapoint.

yep, I'm certain you won't be disapointed and that you will find it an enjoyable flick.

Just got back from the film. It was pretty good. The intensity of it was a bit surprising considering the rating, I was thinking it would have been a bit more watered down, so that was a big plus. Liam was great, as usual, and the direction was spot on. It's refreshing to see an action film that does not rely on flashy editing. My only gripe besides Maggie was

that I was hoping for a little more than just shooting the bad guys. It just seemed to me that they got off light.

Still, the reality of the situation was there but I was hoping they would have gotten a little more, dare I say, punishment.

There ARE a couple of unexpectedly bad ass things he does that brought a smile to my face, though I noticed one interrogation scene was somewhat edited down from the trailer.

I got the DVD today and the interrogation has been extended in the harder cut

Finally got the chance to catch this movie this weekend, and damn, i'm glad i did. As we all know, Liam Neeson brings weight to everything he does, and it was refreshing to see kind of an old-school action flick with no CGI (or if there was any, it was so well-done as to not be obvious). Glad to see it's still doing well at the box office, despite being bumped by a re-make (re-imagining?) this weekend.

Hopefully this might make Hollywood start to reconsider their suckling of the CGI teet.

Even after predicting that Fox had screwed it over, Taken went on to earn an impressive $119 million at the box office since January. The LA Times ran a fascinating article about Taken's co-writer Robert Mark Kamen, who is Luc Besson's partner-in-crime, and hidden at the very end was this juicy little tidbit: "With more action films in the works, including a sequel to Taken and an American version of District 13, a popular 2004 French thriller that Besson produced, Kamen says he's never been happier." Hearing that news will make plenty of fans, including those that helped Taken hit $119 million, quite happy as well.

For as much as I love Taken (and I did enjoy the hell out of it), I should be excited by this news. But I guess I just don't want to see Bryan Mills have to go through another kidnapping. Wait, what the heck am I say, Bryan Mills isn't a real person! But is it a bad thing to say that I was completely satisfied with his one-off European extravaganza and that I don't want to see him put into another situation like that again? Okay, maybe it is wrong for me to say that, because Taken was so badass that it's one of the few movies that I'd actually really like to a sequel for and it could even end up being more badass than the original anyway.

As long as both Luc Besson and Robert Mark Kamen are on-board again (which it sounds like they are) and as long as Fox keeps their hands off of this until it's finished, I'm all for it. They also better bring back Liam Neeson or this will be dead in the water.

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/12/rob...quel-for-taken/

YES!

Score one for our side!

Nice to know that a simple action film with an over 40 lead and no great marketing campaign can score a hit in the US with a $119 million take.

There may be hope for us yet ;)

- TB

And thanks to that sucsees the movie is going theatrical here aswell. :D