Black Dynamite

Mike V

This looks AWESOME.

And I love Mike Starr ;)

Fuck Austin Powers, To Hell with Undercover Brother.

Black Dynamite will put them to shame.

And yeah, fuck Superfly and Shaft too!

;)

This trailer is a scream.

Dayum, this is tight... :D

"I will shake this poisonous shit out of your smacked out body if I have to!"

"Stop we've tried that, nothing works."

"Time to declare war on anybody who sells drugs in our community."

"But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community."

this is genius. and totally authentic. it really looks like a real blaxploitation film from the 70's. if you didn't know it was a modern spoof, you could easily be mistaken. I'm loving this new wave of authenticated spoofery. same reason i loved OSS 177......both work as faithful riffs on the genre as well as outright spoofs.

this is genius. and totally authentic. it really looks like a real blaxploitation film from the 70's. if you didn't know it was a modern spoof, you could easily be mistaken. I'm loving this new wave of authenticated spoofery. same reason i loved OSS 177......both work as faithful riffs on the genre as well as outright spoofs.

Gotta see OSS 177. It never played here.

Is it out on vid region 1 yet?

That poster is Black Brotha Badass Dynamite.

Throwback delight, two point five - one-sheet bliss.

- TB

Do you mean OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (2006)? If so, it's available on netflix, so must be out there.

That's what I get for copying from Allcock's typo!

Thanks for the intel Kwiat ;)

- TB

OMG! This is even better than the other trailer! Makes me wanna wear my dashiki and play Pimps, Players & Private Eyes for the rest of the day!

So were my ears playing tricks on me? Towards the end of the trailer I swear the voice-over said "DYN-O-MITE!". Makes me wonder if JJ Walker might have a cameo. And the lead female is a drop-dead ringer for the original Foxy Brown, the incredible Pam Grier.

• 4 weeks later...
Out of all the 2009 Sundance movies I’d read about, without a doubt “Black Dynamite” was near the top of my must see list. And that was before I watched the insanely amazing trailer that’s below.

If you haven’t heard of the movie yet…imagine if someone made a 70’s Blacksploitation movie today. Except it isn’t a modern movie at all…it’s been made to look like it’s from the 70’s and it’s got all the usual cliché’s to go with it.

Trust me, after watching the trailer for “Black Dynamite” you’ll be wishing you were at this year’s Sundance.

Anyway, here’s the trailer followed by the synopsis from the Sundance website. I really think this is going to be one of the most buzzed about movies at the Festival. It could end up being one of the big sales...especially if the movie plays well with the sometimes fickle Sundance audience.

Continue reading: http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news...id/10284/tcid/1

• 4 weeks later...
A new-model unit of Sony emerged as the fest's big buyer, scooping up "Black Dynamite" for just shy of $2 million, but plans to bring in a theatrical partner to minimize risk. It also joined Senator as homevid partner on Saturday pickup "Brooklyn's Finest";

Full article: http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=fe...998766&cs=1

Can you dig it? The second major studio purchase at the Sundance Film Festival (after Brooklyn's Finest) is none other than Black Dynamite. The film is a blaxploitation revival starring Michael Jai White as a jive fool named Black Dynamite who must save his city when the orphanages become overrun with crack. I saw the film at its world premiere last night and it was truly a blast. Following that premiere, Sony execs fought long and hard (all the way until 6AM) to close a deal for an undisclosed amount. The most important bit of this news is that Sony proper bought it, not Sony Pictures Classics, their independent arm.

The studio thinks that the franchise has the potential to become as big as Austin Powers or the Friday films. They're planning to spend a lot of money marketing it later in the year and put it out sometime in the second half of 2009. Black Dynamite already has a hell out of a lot of buzz, as we ran a trailer for it back in November than received an overwhelming positive response. It's just a badass insanely hilarious bit of blaxploitation fun. Even though I was tired, I really had a great time watching it and definitely think it has some strong potential to do well. We'll see whether this turns out to be true sometime later this year.

Source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/19/son...black-dynamite/

If there is one thing I wish I had learned last year at Sundance, it is that midnight shows are a lot of fun. Last year I made the mistake of avoiding the midnight public screenings, choosing instead to sit in the stuffy press screenings. It just isn’t the same. And this year I’ve learned that the Park City at Midnight selection is more than just a selection of edgy or bloody affairs. It is, at least this year, a series of fantastic film experiences — the types of movies that worked best when served with an energetic, excited crowd. The latest of these selections, and perhaps the most ambitious, is director Scott Sanders’ throwback comedy Black Dynamite.

Sexy, campy and downright hilarious, Black Dynamite comes charging in with a fury of action, sex and badass kung-fu. It follows the story of Black Dynamite, played perfectly by Michael Jai White, a legendary hero who finds that his brother has been killed by “the man,” the orphanage that helped raise him is flooded by heroin and the streets of his beloved city are being targeted with a secret weapon disguised as Anaconda Malt Liquor. Fed up and pissed off, Black Dynamite begins recruiting brothers and putting out the warning to all the jive turkeys who’ve been doing wrong — he’s one bad motherf*cker and he’s coming to pimp-slap them all.

Expertly towing the line between satire and spoof, Scott Sanders’ film utilizes a wonderfully crafted retro aesthetic and a massive cast to transport us back to the campy world of 70s blaxploitation. The pitch is perfect and the leading man is the quintessential badass, causing the movie to attain a palpable momentum. Not affraid to bang on the fourth wall with boom mics appearing in shots and camera crews visible in windows — clear callbacks to classics such as Dolamite — Sanders’ film shamelessly kicks and punches the hell out of its audience, leaving only the stiffest and humorless viewer without loads of laughs. Its real brilliance though, is in the details. The art direction and costume design are spot on, authentically recreating a world filled with flocked wallpaper, faux fur and big, ridiculous bling. The tone is authentic as well, never shying away from the opportunity to allow its star to unleash his huge screen presence or to allow its fantastic cast of characters to lay down quotable bits of campy dialog.

The only problem we run into is that it starts with such ferocity that it is near-impossible to maintain. Even though it runs at 90 minutes, it does begin to crawl toward the end. But that doesn’t stop it from being a wildly entertaining experience for anyone who loves a great crowd movie. Filled with badass action and intentionally awful dialog, Black Dynamite is an uncompromising love letter to a beloved time and genre. It is funky, fresh and filled to the brim with memorable performances — the kind of movie best served with a 40 oz. If you are a lover of great “experience” films, the ones best served with a big crowd and a 40 oz., then you will dig Black Dynamite. If not, well then there is no help for you, ya jive turkey.

Source: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/s...funkin-riot.php

• 10 months later...

A lot of people were enamored with this movie on the boards before it came out. Then it came and went and apparently nobody saw it. If they did, they didn't post about it.

I was never that interested in it. Seemed like I'd seen it before. When it came out in L.A., I considered going, but never did.

Well tonight, the New Beverly Cinema had a grindhouse triple feature:

PLANET TERROR (Extended Cut)

DEATH PROOF (Extended Cut)

BLACK DYNAMITE

Seemed like the perfect crowd to see it with. There was a large audience for PLANET TERROR. Then more people showed up for DEATH PROOF. Then the theater reached capacity for BLACK DYNAMITE. I was pretty surprised. This movie just came out and bombed.

Well, I don't understand why. This movie is HYSTERICALLY FUNNY. Laugh out loud funny. Scene after scene after scene. Never been a fan of Michael Jai White, but he is note perfect here. It played amazingly well and I couldn't believe how good it was. And I can't believe that I have not heard anyone talk about it. I guess everyone I know missed it.

This is arguably the funniest movie of the year. When the New Beverly screens it again next year, I'll be there!

Archived