Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

61*

Speaking of 61*, Tom was at an event recently to raise awareness of Lou Gehrig's disease. He played some baseball. The scoop and some quotes from Tom are at this link:

http://www.foxsportswest.com/07/06/11/Dodg...amp;feedID=7972

Jen

Awesome. Weird to see TJ in Dodger Blue. GREAT CAUSE.

- tb

I remember when this film came out. It was filmed at the old tiger stadium, right here in Detroit. Billy Crystal claimed in an interview that when ever relatives were on the set they got totally freaked out by TJ's close resemblance to the young Mantle. 61* will always be my favorite Thomas Jane movie, I loved Mantle, TJ was unfucking real in the role.

Nice! And it still freaks me out to this day.

Many of us only know Mantle as an older guy, not the young fella from his playing days or *61, so it's really an odd sensation to realize how closely the two resemble one another.

Glad to know The Mick's relatives thought so too. Tom was FANTASTIC in the role. A great film.

- tb

Somewhere (don't know where exactly) I have a magazine with lots of Mickey Mantle pictures in it. It is crazy how much Tom looks like Mickey did. I watched 61* last week; it's my favorite sport movie of all time.

Just rewatched 61*. Thomas Jane's accent is really amusing! It was like watching another actor.

Some people might think only the very young are good-looking, but I think Thomas is getting better looking as he gets older.

When I first heard about him being in this movie I thought maybe it was not going to be good. Boy was I wrong.

Link to a blogger's Top 10 Baseball Movies. 61* ranks at #9 on the list: "Pepper and Jane deserve a lot of credit for their strong and occasionally hilarious lead performances."

http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2013/04/11/the-list-top-10-baseball-movies.html

Jen

On 12/11/2008 at 4:05 AM, Thomas Jane said:

well that's not entirely true, though i'm sure it came off that way in the interview. interviews are funny, you know. they capture a moment in time and place and i probably wasn't feeling much like talking about stuff that day, or maybe i had a hangover. who knows? it's lost in the mist, and all that's left are the words that came into my head at that moment in time...

i love 61* think it's one of my best and a great flick. i cherish the time i got to spend learning baseball with Reggie Smith and hanging out with BC. getting to know the Mantle's and the Maris's. playing a real guy is so hard, there's so much pressure to get it right for the people that knew him. ALMOST as hard as playing someone like Frank C - you never feel like you capture the whole man, only glittering glimpses and if your lucky, a certain flavor that smacks of the real man. so i always feel like i left something on the table. but i also feel the great honor of capturing someone's story and laying it down to share with others, so in some small way, their story is not completely lost to time. mickey was one of the greats, and hearing your comments here lightens my heart. TJ

I just finished watching 61* tonight.

So much has already been said and written. I just would like to add one little thing that struck me: seeing the state of your hands and those of Barry Pepper. Callused skin, underlying blisters, open blisters, scrapes... oh boy I can only imagine how much work this was and how many hours you spent training and rehearsing. I am certain this was not make up. I noticed how you changed your smile, your accent, your way of walking... It was an impressive movie on all levels: both you and Barry Pepper disappeared behind your characters and I was really captivated by this three-way competition (the Babe being also part of it).

I have not been raised in a baseball culture. Which actually helped me enjoy it because I had no clue how the ending would be!

Fantastic movie, bravo!