Sign in to follow this  
sidewaysgaze

61*

It's a baseball movie - and so much more. It's about friendship, and competition, and dreams, and reality, and the up and down-side of fame - and it just happens to revolve around Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris, two real-life baseball heroes. Strangely enough, or not, it's directed by Billy Crystal! :lol:

Jen

Having seen most of Tom Janes' movies, I have to say this is probably my favorite performance of his. Yeah, I love the punisher, but I love baseball, and I actually got to see Mantle play, it was the tale end of his career and I was just starting to follow Roberto Clemente, but man Mantel was awsome. Even playing for the DAMNED YANKEEs! Every kid loved him.

I loved the movie and Toms' performance. I think he stole the thing, far out shining Barry Pepper in the lead role of Roger Maris. I saw an interview with Mantles' widow and she claimed that it was scary how Tom just NAILED Mickey. Thanks Tom for a role and performance I'll always rate as one of my favorites.

And it was really cool that they filmed some of it at the old Detroit Tiger stadium...I wonder what Tom thought of the ballparks neighborhood. It's such a disaster area now, it looks like a war zone...

Sad to say I think the ballpark will be torn down by mid 2008.

And Thanks Jen for posting this thread, I didn't know if anybody was going to mention this film or not. My tradition since 02, opening day of baseball season I always watch this dvd. It is just oozing baseball lore, tradition and history.

Thanks again.

yeah *61 one is great and I am not even a Baseball fan. The film is one of Toms best performances and since I have never seen him give a bad one that is saying something

Aaron

I have to agree with the others about this movie. It is one of my absolute favorite movies that TJ has done. I love baseball and the story of the homerun race was what intrigued me enough to watch this, but what made the movie for me was Tom's incredible portrayal of Mantle. He could have come off as such a jerk, and he did somewhat, but he made the character relatable and sympathetic. I actually really felt for the character in that movie, despite what I had heard about Mantle before I saw it. He really has an incredible range when he's acting.

I met Tom a few months ago when he was promoting The Tripper with David Arquette. It was actually in his hometown of Baltimore and he was the nicest, sweetest, most genuine guy in the world. David was too, of course. And the movie was great. But when I talked to Tom before the show, and after, he was so kind and attentive that it was hard to believe he was an actor and lived in that world. But as I was telling him how much I adored his work, and especially 61*, he seemed touched and almost blushed.

I don't know if anyone has heard it, but there is a podcast that he did on FatFreeFilm that is really interesting. He talks about how he got into acting and his career and some of his movies. Strangely, he didn't seem to think that 61* was one of his best.

I don't know if anyone has heard it, but there is a podcast that he did on FatFreeFilm that is really interesting. He talks about how he got into acting and his career and some of his movies.

Thanks for mentioning about the FatFreeFilm podcast. I think Tom was a little testy 'n' terse in this interview?? I forget now; it's been a while since I've listened to it. From what I recall, he talks a lot about the 3D format of filming.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.fatfreefilm.com/episode.php?showCode=50

and the main site:

http://www.fatfreefilm.com/

Jen

You're right about that interview, Jen. He did seem a little terse at times in that one, but it was still fascinating. Especially to hear him talk about Mutant Chronicles and Dark Country and the whole 3D thing. He sounded so excited when he was talking about the new technology that they're trying to develop with Ray Zone, that you could tell that this was a subject that was very dear to his heart and that he cared about deeply. I hope that they get things to work the way they want for Dark Country so it turns out like he wants it to.

I like the fact that Tom said to Billy Crystal that he'd been playin' baseball for years. Then he gets the part and they find out he's never played before.

-JO

Likewise, that is just amazing to me ... Thomas did such a fantastic job! Both at capturing Mickey Mantle and playing baseball like a natural. I thought both he and Barry Pepper were fantastic. And the film was really excellent as a whole.

I knew Billy Crystal grew up loving baseball and Mickey and the Yankees, so I was extra touched that he himself helmed the film. It is an infectious love letter to the M & M boys and 1961.

I absolutely loved this movie. :wub:

I absolutely loved this movie. :wub:

It's one of my favorites too and I'm not a fan of baseball!

This and Stander show TJ's true 'mutability'. I think it's even harder to play real, historical figures as opposed to "written" characters and TJ rises to the challenge. He also does this in Last Time I Committed Suicide - which is a nice homage to the early days of the Beat Generation.

Looks like you've only got 2 more to go jayesse!

BTW - I also think Suicide is one of only two times Keanu Reeves has done a really well - that and Thumbsucker.

It's one of my favorites too and I'm not a fan of baseball!

This and Stander show TJ's true 'mutability'. I think it's even harder to play real, historical figures as opposed to "written" characters and TJ rises to the challenge. He also does this in Last Time I Committed Suicide - which is a nice homage to the early days of the Beat Generation.

Looks like you've only got 2 more to go jayesse!

BTW - I also think Suicide is one of only two times Keanu Reeves has done a really well - that and Thumbsucker.

Just one, I did see Stander (and Thumbsucker, by the way) - also absolutely loved it, the trailer music stuck in my head for days! - but just got Suicide from Netflix! :D

The director of Stander did refer to Thomas as a "chameleon" as well, so we are in good stead with our observations! ;)

Thomas Jane is like the milkman...he always delivers. Watching him in *61...still emotional for me to watch. He was Mantle. Nobody could have done that role but Thomas Jane.

Amen, sister! :P This is without a doubt, one of my top two or three favorites of Thomas' movies. I am a huge baseball fan, and a fan of history, so to see this particular story told, and told so well, was a thrill for me. No one other than Billy Crystal (a lifelong Yankees fan) could have made this, as Jayesse said, lovestory to baseball, the M&M boys, and the Yankees, and I can't imagine anyone other than Thomas playing Mickey Mantle, a true sports legend if there ever was one. Thomas so embodied Mickey that he completely disappeared inside the character, and his personification was one of the most touching portrayals of a true-life person that I have ever seen. The way he embraced Mickey's quirks and endearing charms, and even all of his faults, was brilliant. Everyone knew what kind of person Mickey was, a hard-living, hard-drinking, womanizer, whose over-the-top persona was both a blessing and a curse. Yet for all his faults, the man that shown through in Thomas' performance was heartbreakingly human, who was both a product of his fame and a victim of it as well. He reveled in the trappings of his success, yet he hated them as well. And no matter how much you could dislike the character for his reckless disregard for everyone and everything, you still couldn't help but feel sorry for him, particularly when you saw him drinking himself almost into unconsciousness and then drunkenly railing against his success because all he wanted to do was play baseball.

Thomas even said himself once that while filming this, that Mickey Mantle's widow once knocked on his trailer door, and when he opened it, she studied him carefully, nodded in approval and said, "Yep, he's Mickey." And walked away.

If that isn't a testament to his performance, then I don't know what is.

Having seen most of Tom Janes' movies, I have to say this is probably my favorite performance of his. Yeah, I love the punisher, but I love baseball, and I actually got to see Mantle play, it was the tale end of his career and I was just starting to follow Roberto Clemente, but man Mantel was awsome. Even playing for the DAMNED YANKEEs! Every kid loved him.

I loved the movie and Toms' performance. I think he stole the thing, far out shining Barry Pepper in the lead role of Roger Maris. I saw an interview with Mantles' widow and she claimed that it was scary how Tom just NAILED Mickey. Thanks Tom for a role and performance I'll always rate as one of my favorites.

And it was really cool that they filmed some of it at the old Detroit Tiger stadium...I wonder what Tom thought of the ballparks neighborhood. It's such a disaster area now, it looks like a war zone...

Sad to say I think the ballpark will be torn down by mid 2008.

And Thanks Jen for posting this thread, I didn't know if anybody was going to mention this film or not. My tradition since 02, opening day of baseball season I always watch this dvd. It is just oozing baseball lore, tradition and history.

Thanks again.

dude, that's awesome. means a lot. TJ

..Strangely, he didn't seem to think that 61* was one of his best.

well that's not entirely true, though i'm sure it came off that way in the interview. interviews are funny, you know. they capture a moment in time and place and i probably wasn't feeling much like talking about stuff that day, or maybe i had a hangover. who knows? it's lost in the mist, and all that's left are the words that came into my head at that moment in time...

i love 61* think it's one of my best and a great flick. i cherish the time i got to spend learning baseball with Reggie Smith and hanging out with BC. getting to know the Mantle's and the Maris's. playing a real guy is so hard, there's so much pressure to get it right for the people that knew him. ALMOST as hard as playing someone like Frank C - you never feel like you capture the whole man, only glittering glimpses and if your lucky, a certain flavor that smacks of the real man. so i always feel like i left something on the table. but i also feel the great honor of capturing someone's story and laying it down to share with others, so in some small way, their story is not completely lost to time. mickey was one of the greats, and hearing your comments here lightens my heart. TJ

well that's not entirely true, though i'm sure it came off that way in the interview. interviews are funny, you know. they capture a moment in time and place and i probably wasn't feeling much like talking about stuff that day, or maybe i had a hangover. who knows? it's lost in the mist, and all that's left are the words that came into my head at that moment in time...

i love 61* think it's one of my best and a great flick. i cherish the time i got to spend learning baseball with Reggie Smith and hanging out with BC. getting to know the Mantle's and the Maris's. playing a real guy is so hard, there's so much pressure to get it right for the people that knew him. ALMOST as hard as playing someone like Frank C - you never feel like you capture the whole man, only glittering glimpses and if your lucky, a certain flavor that smacks of the real man. so i always feel like i left something on the table. but i also feel the great honor of capturing someone's story and laying it down to share with others, so in some small way, their story is not completely lost to time. mickey was one of the greats, and hearing your comments here lightens my heart. TJ

Beautifully said, Thomas. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't like your performance or this movie, but that, it just seemed that there were some things that you were not happy with about it. But these things are often lost in the translation of them.

I remember talking about this movie when you and I met at the Tripper premiere at the Senator Theater in Baltimore last year, and I told you how much I loved it and I thought it was one of your best, and you were very gracious and humble, but you didn't have much to say about it. Guess that was one of those times you didn't feel like talking, huh? ;)

I still maintain that this is one of your best performances yet. One of my top two or three faves, definitely.

Well my uncle is a big Mantle fan, and I'm a big Punisher fan, and we both think you did a fantastic job in both respects.

This is the first Jane movie I saw. I'm just disappointed that it was an HBO film and not a theatrical release. I'm not even a baseball fan but I LOVED this film.

Actually I might not have seen this first, it might have been Deep Blue Sea. Cheesy movie but Jane once again shines. It was fun.

You know if a movie with Tom bombs, it's never his fault. Nobody ever dogs Jane's acting. That's how kick ass you are Tom. As God is my witness, I really fucking believe that you are an Oscar-worthy actor. Just waiting for the right film for you to star in that'll give the AMPAS that nod. They're tight asses.

-Raffi

61* is on BluRay DVD; here's link to detailed review:

"As Mantle, Jane's not doing an interpretation as much as inhabiting what we

later learned of Mantle and his Oklahoman accent is pretty convincing, right

down to the commercial for a hot dog that Crystal includes in the film."

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/48437/61/

and

a shorter review at this link:

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/07/%E2%80%986...as-game%E\

2%80%99-will-score-big-baseball-fans

Jen

Almost wish I had a Blu-Ray player so I could get great movies like this. But then I'd have to start my collection all over again, lol!

Almost wish I had a Blu-Ray player so I could get great movies like this. But then I'd have to start my collection all over again, lol!

Oh, I know what you mean MediumFan, about starting a collection all over again. So much work... VHS tapes to DVD...and now BluRay? I don't know...

Jen

Don't think I've posted this but I tell Tom from time to time about this uncanny pic I found . . .

Not the kid or anything, I mean the shot of Mickey Mantle the kid is pointing at.

That's like nuts right? I honestly thought it was a fake, like a drummed-up graphic used in the film or something . . .

hall-of-fame_Spencer-Supak_Mickey-Mantle

I got curious. Pretty sure this pic was snapped at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

So I did a little research and discovered this is in fact a legit cover of Sports Illustrated from SI's June 18, 1956 issue (SI vol.4, issue #25).

0618_large.jpg

Seriously, it's scary how much they resemble one another.

- TB

Don't think I've posted this but I tell Tom from time to time about this uncanny pic I found . . .

Not the kid or anything, I mean the shot of Mickey Mantle the kid is pointing at.

That's like nuts right? I honestly thought it was a fake, like a drummed-up graphic used in the film or something . . .

hall-of-fame_Spencer-Supak_Mickey-Mantle.jpg

I got curious. Pretty sure this pic was snapped at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

So I did a little research and discovered this is in fact a legit cover of Sports Illustrated from SI's June 18, 1956 issue (SI vol.4, issue #25).

0618_large.jpg

Seriously, it's scary how much they resemble one another.

- TB

Man that is uncanny.......

I remember when this film came out. It was filmed at the old tiger stadium, right here in Detroit. Billy Crystal claimed in an interview that when ever relatives were on the set they got totally freaked out by TJ's close resemblance to the young Mantle. 61* will always be my favorite Thomas Jane movie, I loved Mantle, TJ was unfucking real in the role.