Tiara

I wish you hadn't seen it in 2D.

I completely value your opinion Noeland even when we don't agree cause I respect you and you rock.

As a friend, I'm disappointed that you didn't have a similar experience and consequently weren't as impressed with the film.

I must've missed the mind numbingly stupid shit because I was swept up in the experience of the film and the world.

Normally I am turned completely off by exactly what you mention, but I'm not sure that I see it in this case. Maybe I was transported beyond looking for it or noticing it. I was definitely lost in the movie.

That almost never happens to me anymore which is why I'm crazy about it.

Also, ridiculously popular or fad shit turns me off 999 times out of 1000. This is just one of those rare exceptions.

Maybe that makes me a sucker, but I couldn't be more thrilled about it.

I think that over time, once the rave kid, glow stick monster shock and awe wear off, this isn't going to be what it once was for folks.

True, but you could also say that about a shit-ton of other films. Though it may especially ring true for Avatar unless we all have 3D capable TV's in the near future.

Even so, the screens being so much smaller, a viewing could hardly compare to the Imax experience, which I believe had a great deal to do with how I responded to it.

Hey, I dug the film so I'm singing it's praises. I hope you don't believe that I've in any way implied that you don't 'get it', that'd just be absurd! ;)

You didn't love it, totally fair, mon frere ;)

Luvyakid - TB

Guest AdminGuyX

I don't think anybody who likes the film is a sucker Tim. Least of all guys like you, and the crowd we run with on the boards here, who I think generally have pretty good taste and have like minds for the most part.

I almost didn't post, because part of me doesn't want to fuck with anybody else on the subject, because people are loving it that much. Like you said, you got lost in the film and that almost never happens anymore, so I feel a bit guilty sharing my opinion. But Matt's quote just pushed a button. Not here, but on a few other boards, and with a few of my friends, they are very defensive of it and tend to be kind of rude. I've had people tell me point blank that I just didn't get it, and then refuse to discuss it further.

Unfortunately, I can't do Imax. It gives me motion sickness in the worst way. I can imagine seeing it like that would be immersive though, and maybe that would change my opinion. I can't say. The best I can do is see it in 3D on the local digital flat screen since that's all Akron has to offer. I'm not sure I want to sit through it again though to test and see if my mind changes. Maybe.

Feel free in fact to remove my posts and continue the love fest if you guys would like.

Feel free in fact to remove my posts and continue the love fest if you guys would like.

No Way!!

Dissent is good. In fact our country was founded on the right to dissent. I think it just needs to be done for the purpose of being productive and done is in a respectful way. And that's what I am getting from reading your posts. Besides, what's the point of posting on a forum where everyone agrees?

Personally I enjoy that I disagree with you on points in this particular thread. Neither of us is more correct than the other beyond our own perception, but just maybe we can influence each other some and grow from the experience.

Mike

Not at all Noeland, your opinion counts too.

The same goes for anyone else who feels differently.

Don't have post remorse! ;) Say what is on your mind, that's the most important thing.

The hardest thing about passionate opinions is that it has the ability to rub those of a contrary opinion the wrong way.

I can certainly put myself in your position and empathize to a degree.

I honestly do think seeing it in 2D affords much less of the "experience" I keep referring to.

But that seems to be only part of your dissatisfaction with the film as you also weren't rooting for the Na'vi, so the story itself leaves something to be desired.

In my experience the enhanced viewing elevated everything else.

I find too that my frame of mind can strongly effect my reaction to a film.

Case in point, Pan's Labyrinth. I wanted to love it in every way shape and form for a multitude of reasons, but when I saw it, it didn't capture me completely the way I'd hoped.

I knew it was special, I saw things I absolutely love to see, the creativity, the realization of the dark fairy tale through the eyes of an exciting filmmaker, yet I walked out of the film feeling rather flat.

Someday I will revisit it and we'll see what happens.

Anyway, dude, everything is all good. Let's just have a human fest :)

- TB

Guest AdminGuyX

Post remorse. I think a new clinical term has been coined! There is probably someone, somewhere sitting on a doctors couch telling their shrink all about it.

Personally I enjoy that I disagree with you on points in this particular thread.

I know what you mean, and under usual circumstances I do too. But like I said, this flick seems to be the intellectual exception so I offered and would be fine with it. It's not remorse.

Dissent is good. In fact our country was founded on the right to dissent. I think it just needs to be done for the purpose of being productive and done is in a respectful way. And that's what I am getting from reading your posts. Besides, what's the point of posting on a forum where everyone agrees?

I always try and be respectful under just about every situation, and I find especially when disagreeing. And I also think dissent is good. As an aside, in real life that has gotten me a long way. The only place, oddly, it hasn't is while working on movies. I've lost a few good friends over it because they could not handle creative back and forth. That's off topic, I know. :)

I completely value your opinion Noeland even when we don't agree cause I respect you and you rock.

Thank you, by the way. B)

The hardest thing about passionate opinions is that it has the ability to rub those of a contrary opinion the wrong way.

Sure, and that's certainly happened to me more than a few times. I knew this wasn't one of those times though.

Case in point, Pan's Labyrinth. I wanted to love it in every way shape and form for a multitude of reasons, but when I saw it, it didn't capture me completely the way I'd hoped.

You know, I felt the same way about Pan's Labyrinth. I knew from about the first 10 minutes that there was something about the setting, the pacing, the setup itself that was not working for me. I love the film visually, I like the idea of it, but I know exactly what you mean.

Avatar was different though, because I found myself enjoying the first half of the film, and I didn't think I would. It was all very "Weyland-Yutani" and pretty interesting to me. I could have watched a 3 hour film about corporate espionage in a crumbling human future. Mind you, I think this film was in some way an answer to Aliens. I can't help but think that Sigourney Weaver telling Cameron that she wanted Ripley to have sex with a Xeno somehow influenced Avatar, and planted a seed in his mind to make a film that flips the dynamic of Aliens.

Part of me really misses the low budget problem solver that James Cameron was when he worked on Terminator and Aliens. He was hungry, and a much leaner film maker then, coming out of the school of Roger Corman. I appreciate that he's moved on to be a trail blazer and a nicer guy, but I just wish this film could of blown me away on the complexities of the story and the characters as well as the visuals.

Also, I would have enjoyed the ending if it was as it should have been, a character driven tragedy. I knew it wouldn't be, because the film never even veered that way, but I really felt that had Cameron challenged the audience on a more cerebral level, had Jake seen himself as a traitor, and struggled with more complex choices and realization, and had the Na'vi had to embrace technology on some level to fight back, that it just would have been the perfect big damn movie. But that's just me, I know. :)

now Avatar is the most succesfull movie...

wonder how many oscars Cameron will get -))

To be honest, I do find this quite bewildering.

The most successful film of ALL TIMES?? :huh:

Did anyone hear about the list for top grosser of all time?

They adjusted box office numbers for ticket-price inflation. After they did this, they found out that Avatar is really No. 34 on the list. Gone With the Wind holds the No. 1 spot.

I thought it was interesting to bring out this list.

Now THAT sounds right to me!

Did anyone hear about the list for top grosser of all time?

They adjusted box office numbers for ticket-price inflation. After they did this, they found out that Avatar is really No. 34 on the list. Gone With the Wind holds the No. 1 spot.

I thought it was interesting to bring out this list.

Wow! That's interesting. Where did you find this info? I'd love to see what topped over this one (besides Gone With the Wind, of course). How could they make such a huge mistake like that? I can understand maybe 1 or 2 topping Avatar but 34? C'mon on now...do the homework before you start broadcasting to the world of it's ranking. Right?

Avatar is now 26. on the adjusted inflation list. I guess it will make it into the top 20 and there is no recent movie that managed that. Plus, movies like Gone with the Wind, Star Wars, E.T. etc. had more than one run in the theaters I think... Anyway, the bottom line: Avatar is a huge financial hit ^^

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Avatar is now 26. on the adjusted inflation list. I guess it will make it into the top 20 and there is no recent movie that managed that. Plus, movies like Gone with the Wind, Star Wars, E.T. etc. had more than one run in the theaters I think... Anyway, the bottom line: Avatar is a huge financial hit ^^

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Mary Poppins at #23? C'mon! Are they serious??? WOW

-Thanks for the link Son...

-Aly

Well I finally broke down and went to see the movie. (In 3D), but only after it had topped Titanic (Non-inflated).

I found the visuals to be completely stunning overall, but that graphical ability was available a decade ago with Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

The Storyline was OK. As well as the completely predictable ending.

Personally I liked Sigourney Weaver's character the best.

People are speculating that Avatar has a $150 million worldwide promotion budget. I'm no expert on these things, but I think that's an insane amount of money for promotion. But the hyping of the 3D has definitely worked for them. I think any big budget movie could get into the "success-list" with that kind of promotion. Cameron was the biggest selling points for me, but in my eyes he haven't had a great movie since T-2. Though I thought True Lies was really cool when I was younger. Jamie Lee Curtis striptease! :P

Well, Avatar got some Oscar nominations. But could it really win Best Picture over nine other nominees?

AVATAR is going to be rereleased on Aug. 27th to about one thousand 3-D screens.

This time, there will be 9 minutes of additional footage.

I'm curious. Who plans to go see it?

Don't want to spend the cash to go see AVATAR Special Edition? No worries.

I have right here the bonus 9 min. of footage:

Enjoy!!!